Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Gert-Jan Beukers

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe you should get a Bill instead of a pollaxe?
Correct me if I'm wrong.... I'm dutch
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gert-Jan Beukers wrote:
Maybe you should get a Bill instead of a pollaxe?

Hmm...I've got my mind stuck on that pollaxe, however fitting a bill would be. Cool
Nathan F

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

im really enjoying this thread and the ideas for jits people are giving me.
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why not a pollaxe? But a Bill would not be bad either.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Confirming that I am indeed, going with the pollaxe. Although I'm English, I can't resist the thing.

Edit: I'm now also highly considering using a brigandine instead of a globose breastplate. I don't see any problem at all with an English knight on foot using one, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Gert-Jan Beukers

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:
Confirming that I am indeed, going with the pollaxe. Although I'm English, I can't resist the thing.

Edit: I'm now also highly considering using a brigandine instead of a globose breastplate. I don't see any problem at all with an English knight on foot using one, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

you should check www.steel-mastery.com. they've got a wide range of different brigandines. Good luck!

Correct me if I'm wrong.... I'm dutch
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gert-Jan Beukers wrote:
Robert S. Haile wrote:

you should check www.steel-mastery.com. they've got a wide range of different brigandines. Good luck!

Thanks very much! I'm highly considering a visby brigandine from them in red velvet now.
Andrew McKinnon

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:
I can't help but revive this thread to post here.

Here's a picture of my current unfinished kit. I'm still lacking a globose breastplate, maille skirt, hourglass gauntlets, and my Malatesta (Currently using an old junky windlass place holder). The Harness was made by both The Mercenary's Tailor and Maxim Suprovich of Wild Armoury. I'll also be working on a pair of period belts with brass fittings, to replace the costumey one I'm wearing in the pictures.

I would like to obtain a pollaxe to carry with this kit as well. If anyone would like to make a suggestion as to wear I might obtain one accurate to the early 15th century I would very much appreciate it.

That's looking great Robert. Out of interest, I am searching for evidence for the type of helm (or similar) you have for jousting. I am currently wearing a Harry V tilt helm a la early 15thC but would love a helm with visor.

What is your helm based on?

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew McKinnon
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew McKinnon wrote:
Robert S. Haile wrote:
I can't help but revive this thread to post here.

Here's a picture of my current unfinished kit. I'm still lacking a globose breastplate, maille skirt, hourglass gauntlets, and my Malatesta (Currently using an old junky windlass place holder). The Harness was made by both The Mercenary's Tailor and Maxim Suprovich of Wild Armoury. I'll also be working on a pair of period belts with brass fittings, to replace the costumey one I'm wearing in the pictures.

I would like to obtain a pollaxe to carry with this kit as well. If anyone would like to make a suggestion as to wear I might obtain one accurate to the early 15th century I would very much appreciate it.

That's looking great Robert. Out of interest, I am searching for evidence for the type of helm (or similar) you have for jousting. I am currently wearing a Harry V tilt helm a la early 15thC but would love a helm with visor.

What is your helm based on?

Cheers
Andrew

Hey Andew!

Thanks for your return PM about your helmet. Shame you sold it, that was a sharp looking piece. The bascinet I'm wearing there is really a mix of a few things. I can't locate the art the visor was based off of at the moment, and that's really the only thing special about it. There was some artistic license taken with it, but nothing is downright offensive I should hope. I'll make sure to let you know if I run across that art again. Glad you liked it. Best of luck with that tilting harness!

P.S. Those besagues were inspired by the ones on your old harness.
Andrew McKinnon

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool. I actually kept the besagews as the harness I have is very late 14thC/early 15thC so they come back into vogue. I will post a few pics as I will have the harness complete and in one place this week.

Thanks Robert. Look forward to hearing about those references!

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew McKinnon
David E. Farrell

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:

Brigs tend to be a much later harness option (mid-late 15th C), popular on the continent - I think you are much safer with the globose (and maybe a fauld). You may be able to get away with a corrizzina-like body protection (think segmented globose and fauld covered in wool or silk, rather than the collection of many small plates that typifies a classic brig),but I am not sure how popular they were in England at that time (They were fairly popular in Italy, though).

AKA: 'Sparky' (so I don't need to explain later Wink )

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother
-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare

Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused... but on a higher level.
-- Enrico Fermi
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David E. Farrell wrote:
Robert S. Haile wrote:

Brigs tend to be a much later harness option (mid-late 15th C), popular on the continent - I think you are much safer with the globose (and maybe a fauld). You may be able to get away with a corrizzina-like body protection (think segmented globose and fauld covered in wool or silk, rather than the collection of many small plates that typifies a classic brig),but I am not sure how popular they were in England at that time (They were fairly popular in Italy, though).

Thanks, David.

I made a thread a while back discussing this, and came to the same conclusion you're suggesting. I'm going to have a globose breastplate and a maille skirt made. Considered faulds but I'm not sure if that's quite what I want. Appreciate the reply.
Troy G L Williams

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thought I would add a few more pics.

Attachment: 158.98 KB
Helm Down.jpg

Attachment: 174.63 KB
Armour TDawg.jpg

v/r,
Troy Williams

"It’s merely a flesh wound." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Troy, The kit looks great! Will you be attending the scarby festival in dallas? I will be going the opening weekend on the 10th and 11th of April. I will only be suited up in my kit on the 10th though.
Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Troy G L Williams

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again Chris. Yes, I should be there opening weekend of Scarby. It was good to see you at the Sherwood Forest Faire.
v/r,
Troy Williams

"It’s merely a flesh wound." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a kit I wore for an event at a local community college, our group was invited there to participate in a little dinner theatre at a student Medieval event. We did a little friendly duel that was scripted as a part of the dinner when a noble got into an argument with another noble and to of us became the champions in a duel " à plaisance ".

I was there just to look good and to give atmosphere as It seems that I had the most complete kit: Although I could have dressed rather simply I opted to go in full arrmour just for the fun of it and it turned out well as I could give the students and idea of what armour would have looked like mid to late 14th century. It was fun answering question and the food was free. Sad

Maybe not true period food but very nice spread of spicy sausages ( what I ate ) and stuffed chicken breast. Wine was also available for those over 18 although the teacher(s) in charge of supervising the evening where " paranoid " about some 17 year old having a sip of wine since the students at the school include above and below 18 year olds ..... ( need rolling eyes emoticon Laughing Out Loud ).

Fun evening and it's fun showing of kit to students.

NOTE: I posted this on another Topic but I think it should be O.K. to post it again on a " show your kit " Topic to keep all these together for easy reference and comparison.

Attachment: 120.01 KB
[ Download ]

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

not to derail the topic, though sorry to say troy, you may have me mixed for another. I was not at sherwood. Hopefully we can meet up at scarby.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks excellent, Troy.

I may very well be going to Scarby, too this year. I'll keep my eyes open for you gentlemen as well.
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also not to derail the topic - But recently over at the Armour Archive there have been a rather significant amount of members who feel that the business dealings they've had with steel-mastery.com have not gone well as of late. Fast to respond until they have your money, slow after wards... Slow/non-existent product shipment. I noticed they were mentioned on the previous page, and figured I'd give a word of warning.

As I do not want to derail the thread with a conversation regarding the matter or post links to the Armour Archive directly in the thread, if you have reason to be interested in this problem please shoot me a PM, I'll be happy to point you to this information.

-Gregory

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well... Finally an update to my kit! I have been working working five long hard years to get my kit to this point. So this is a momentous occasion for myself. Yes, there are a few "tweaks" I need to apply to get everything just right. Yet as far as fit and comfort goes, I have achieved a very happy outcome. I have shot a few short video's, yet I have not posted them on youtube as of yet. If anyone may be interested in the movement of this suit; then please let me know and I will work to get those posted (On a side note, I have very little restriction of movement. I can perform any movement with a poleaxe, dagger, yet sword has not been tested in my hands as of yet.) I was able to demolish a coconut with my poleaxe while using techniques of Le Jeu' Though I am no expect on the art as of yet. For those interested, the entire suit (All plate) was made by the Merc Tailor. The armor is munitions grade, so with a few "tweaks" here and there it all fits like a glove.

I do hope to see a couple of you at the scarby faire, that would be great. Sorry for the over-load of poses. As stated, this is a momentous occasion for me. Without further adue here they are....

This is one of the plate and arms... Not worn...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 31 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: