Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Mon 06 May, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my early 14th centutry Teutonic Ritterbruder (Knight Brother) kit!
Enjoy!

Attachment: 12.08 KB
2.jpg

Attachment: 110.29 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 129.99 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 187.1 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 127.41 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 128.26 KB
[ Download ]

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Brian Robson

PostPosted: Thu 09 May, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love it! Well done Nathan.

Especially like the way you've kept the focus on mail and havn't gone overboard with the supplimentary plate as so many early 14c interpretations do.
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Thu 09 May, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much!

Yeah, I'm saving all those cool little plate bits for my transitional kit, a few decades (in period) down the road. I was going for a very classic turn of the century look with that kit. Happy

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Thu 09 May, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Give my regards to your photographer Martin! Those are some great pictures that really do your kit justice.
"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Walter S

PostPosted: Mon 13 May, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I finished my crusader costume. I hope its not too outrageous posting it here, considering its not actual armor.

Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Mon 13 May, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the look of that costume, especially considering that it had no armor, but would be appropriate for parties or for fun, without the hassle and care required for actual armor and soft gear
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 May, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Walter,

Seeing how it is not metal that helm turned out amazing. Is it cardboard? That is well done indeed.

RPM
James Barker

PostPosted: Tue 14 May, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been working on a 1340s kit. I do not think it is done yet but here it is for a presentation y La Belle Compagnie at Kalamazoo last week:

At the show holding my daughter:

Here is an hour long video of the presentation you can see me and 3 other men arming up in harnesses ranging from 1337 to 1450

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jse_b3wbpUo

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Zach H.

PostPosted: Tue 14 May, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James, I saw your armour demo at Kalamazoo and thought you guys did a fantastic job. I was very impressed.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Mon 27 May, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A new soft kit is more or less finished for now (although footwear will likely be changed in near future, as it is beeing worn out). it is intended to represent an upper strata man from Valsgarde during 7th century, some elements of it are based on finds from Valsgarde 8 burial with other bits used from finds in nearby area (belt pouch, for one.) In this picture I am togeather with my daughter and another forumite - Santa Jansone in her Vendel period costume which is a recreation of Valsgarde 57 burial (and also person who ended up dooing all of sewing for my costume).

Attachment: 242.51 KB
valsgarde.jpg

Adrian Thurnwald

PostPosted: Tue 28 May, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howdy,

I've snuck around in these forums before as a guest, just to look for tips and advice on what is out there, but I think I've reached the point in my collecting of reproduction medieval gear that I would be crazier not to register on a forum and at least talk to others about it all!

This thread, with all these great pics of people's kits, seems a good place to introduce myself. So, hello everyone!

I have to main 'kits' at the moment, or attempts at them. One is the basic Norman... (more pics on the link)

The next is my attempt at a Byzantine cataphract. More on the link.

Of course, that's actually Mongol style armour, and a Mongol style helmet. Getting Byzantine stuff has been tough, so I did the best with what I could find.

If anyone is interested to know where all the bits came from...
Revival Clothing for most of clothes and the viking shoes (not that you can see any of the clothing...)
Cap-a-pie for the hauberk and coif
Armstreet for the blue gambeson, bracers, greaves, lamellar, and helmet with aventail.
Jelling Dragon for the red belts
Boots by Bohemond for the persian boots
The Norman sword is a regular Hanwei with a custom scabbard by a local craftsperson
The Norman shield was made and painted by Shields of Rouen
The Byzantine sword with the gold tassel is from Ares Academy
Other bits and pieces from around the place...

Now, to post my first post and to hope I have done all the image coding the right way... And to go back through this thread and admire everyone's kits again!

'You damn morphodite, I'll kill you!'
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 28 May, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like your kits! Ares Academy sword is very nice looking! What type of cap a pie mail you have for your Norman kit? Flat rings with round rivets and solids I guess? Are rivets doing any damage to your undergarment? What size is it?
Adrian Thurnwald

PostPosted: Tue 28 May, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
I really like your kits! Ares Academy sword is very nice looking! What type of cap a pie mail you have for your Norman kit? Flat rings with round rivets and solids I guess? Are rivets doing any damage to your undergarment? What size is it?

Howdy Luka,

Thanks for the comment! The Cap-a-pie hauberk was a round rivet with flat rings and solids, yep! It was a 54", which is larger than I gotten before. My earlier hauberk was made the cheap butted stuff, and was a 48", I believe (it's what the other guy is wearing in the pics). You can see that in places my riveted hauberk is a touch baggy. Still, it was recommended that I go a bit larger with the riveted, and in then end I'm glad I did. Unlike butted maille, the riveted stuff will catch on clothes and is more difficult to get on over the thicker gambesons. If I'd gotten a smaller hauberk than I ended up with, I might have been in trouble! Seems like it was sound advice. The guy over there at Cap-a-Pie was really nice and helpful too, which is always a huge plus in my book.

The rivets don't seem to do anything too nasty to the padding and clothes underneath, as far as I can tell. There is a bit of wear and tear, maybe, but nothing that I have particularly noticed. The riveted maille must be harder on clothes and gambesons than the butted stuff but there's been no need for me to panic so far. It certainly makes everything black and greasy, but that is all maille, as far as I can tell!

Yes, I really like the Ares Academy Byzantine sword. It might not be to everyone's taste because AA swords have blunt edges (due to the Italian laws, I believe). A blunt edge doesn't bother me. The way I swing the thing around in the flat, I would have chopped my legs off five times over if it had been sharp! It's a beautiful sword. None of my photos really show it off in its full glory.

Ian S LaSpina

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 28 May, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adrian Thurnwald wrote:

The riveted maille must be harder on clothes and gambesons than the butted stuff but there's been no need for me to panic so far. It certainly makes everything black and greasy, but that is all maille, as far as I can tell!

Have you tried wedge-riveted maille? I've found wedge-riveted maille to be just as easy on clothes as butted maille. It's not riveted maille that catches, it's round-riveted maille that catches on threads. My haubergeon is round riveted, my aventail is wedge-riveted, and the difference is tremendous. There's little to no drag from the wedge-riveted stuff.

Love the byzantine kit btw!

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Adrian Thurnwald

PostPosted: Wed 29 May, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian S LaSpina wrote:
Adrian Thurnwald wrote:

The riveted maille must be harder on clothes and gambesons than the butted stuff but there's been no need for me to panic so far. It certainly makes everything black and greasy, but that is all maille, as far as I can tell!

Have you tried wedge-riveted maille? I've found wedge-riveted maille to be just as easy on clothes as butted maille. It's not riveted maille that catches, it's round-riveted maille that catches on threads. My haubergeon is round riveted, my aventail is wedge-riveted, and the difference is tremendous. There's little to no drag from the wedge-riveted stuff.

Howdy Ian,

I've never even looked at wedge-riveted maille up close! Now I really want to try some on. I got the round-riveted because, as far as I understood, it fit my earlier period (eleventh century or so) intentions better. Now that I think about it, I think I may have seen a loose thread or two caught in the rivets, but I figure a bit of wear-and-tear just makes the overall look all the more rustic and battle-worn. But, like I said, it hasn't done anything disastrous to the clothing or padding yet.

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 29 May, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adrian Thurnwald wrote:
Ian S LaSpina wrote:
Adrian Thurnwald wrote:

Howdy Ian,

I've never even looked at wedge-riveted maille up close! Now I really want to try some on. I got the round-riveted because, as far as I understood, it fit my earlier period (eleventh century or so) intentions better. Now that I think about it, I think I may have seen a loose thread or two caught in the rivets, but I figure a bit of wear-and-tear just makes the overall look all the more rustic and battle-worn. But, like I said, it hasn't done anything disastrous to the clothing or padding yet.

I'm also going with round rivets because of this (I'm buying a cap a pie mail soon) but I'm still not sure if I should take round rings with solids haubergeon or flat with solids hauberk. I reenact first half of the 13th century and flat rings started to be made in Germany during that period, but with round rings my mail would be much more universal and I could buy some loose rings to make the sleeves longer...
Brian W.

PostPosted: Thu 30 May, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Howdy folks!
New member and second post on this great forum! Here is my renn fair kit I am slowly working on as the limits of my coin allow. I want to add spaulders, hour glass gauntlets and a different sword/scabbard combo(albion crecy,dbk).
I know it's not historically perfect, and never will be, but I'm shooting for the 1380ish period. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Attachment: 192.56 KB
IMG_20130530_032007.jpg

Attachment: 195.43 KB
[ Download ]
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 30 May, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian W. wrote:
Howdy folks!
New member and second post on this great forum! Here is my renn fair kit I am slowly working on as the limits of my coin allow. I want to add spaulders, hour glass gauntlets and a different sword/scabbard combo(albion crecy,dbk).
I know it's not historically perfect, and never will be, but I'm shooting for the 1380ish period. Comments and suggestions welcome.

I think that helm would likely be out of date for 1380. The original (which has painted decoration instead of most of the brass pieces on your helm) is usually dated to 1350 or so. It happens to be one of my favorite helms. Happy

In general, the great helm seems to have fallen out of battlefield use more and more as the 14th century progressed. By 1380, a bascinet of some sort would probably be more appropriate.

Your kit looks more appropriate for the mid 14th century. I love the mantle on the helm. Nice!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Ian S LaSpina

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 30 May, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian W. wrote:
Howdy folks!

Fully agree with Chad. Your kit looks good, just for about 40 or 50 years earlier than you're shooting for. Likely, by 1380, the great helm would be relegated to tournament use only, and most likely be more rounded like the Pembridge helm. If you really want to stick with 1380, you're looking at a bascinet, most likely a houndskull or perhaps a klappvisor depending on your region of interest.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 30 May, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian S LaSpina wrote:
If you really want to stick with 1380, you're looking at a bascinet, most likely a houndskull or perhaps a klappvisor depending on your region of interest.

I should point out that a houndskull is a type of visor shape, while a klappvisor/klappvisier is a type of visor attachment. Bascinet visors were either attached by a pair of side pivots like many later helmets or by a centrally placed hinge (usually called a Klappvisier).

You can have a klappvisier that is shaped like a houndskull. Some people use the term klappvisor/klappvisier to refer to non-pointy globose visors attached via the klappvisier method. Of course, you could have a globose visor attached via 2 pivots, too. Saying you could have a houndskull or klappvisier makes it sound like they are mutually exclusive forms and they aren't. Happy You could have some of each.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 75 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: