Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Two-Handed Sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Favorite Two-Handed Sword?         Reply with quote

Hey All,

I was wondering what your favorite, top-two choices would be for a two-handed sword. They can be in your top-two for any reason....

Thanks,

Chris

Some that have caught my eye: The Munich, The Earl, The Chieftain, and the upcoming Dane
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Number 1: Albion Svante.
Number 2: Albion Munich
Number 3 ('cause that's how I roll): Bugei Lion Dog

The Munich is already mine. The others will follow. Oh yes, they will follow. Big Grin

FWIW, the Dane also looks like a sweet, sweet sword. Happy

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1. Albion Duke
2. A&A German Bastard Sword

I have none of them, but the Duke is my "must buy" some day because I love these 13th and 14th century great swords, and A&A GBS is just such a beautiful weapon...
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hard to comment only having experience with one two handed sword, and even harder to limit to two. I orginally cheated and put several as 2= (Baron, Knecht, Munich, Brescia and a blackened Angus Trim tac longsword) but repented and ended up with the following.

1) Peter Johnsson's type XVIIIc for the Masters of Fire exhibit a year or two back. Wide flattened diamond section blade with a small fuller and an incised line down one side of the fuller, down turned guard, tooled green leather waisted grip and a wheel pommel with bronze inserts. Hands down my favourite sword I've ever seen. Came with a tooled leather scabbard to match the grip, unfortunatley I have not seen photos of the scabbard.

2) Regent with blue leather and half wire grip.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Dave Smith

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1. Albion Knecht

2. Christian Fletcher Borderwatch
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Going entirely by looks, as usual...

Probably that custom swiss saber Ollin made for Matthew Grzybowski, closely followed by the Arma Bohemia Prototype 6 longsword.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

#1 most desired on my list would be Albion's upcoming Tyrolean, been drooling over it ever since the concept drawing was put on the site. # 2 would be hard to call, there's lots of nice stuff out there. If we are including larger bastard/longsword/war swords, the Regent might be in there, it is a wonderful blade, by far the stiffest blade of this size I have handled. The Earl looks to possibly have a larger, more rounded grip, which I might prefer if I handled one.
Arma Bohemia has done a copy of a longsword in the Cluny Museum that is similar in style to the Munich, this is also a much-desired sword for me.
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: ...         Reply with quote

hmm ..

1. Del tin 5166 two handed sword .. ( i love this one because seems pretty close to the Navarre's zweihander .. ladyhawke movie) and i own it. Big Grin

2: Two handed gothic sword T001 sword gur

3: the Dane .

and there's a design that i haven't seen in the market... it's the brunswick state guard two handed sword .. it's beautiful and massive!. .. as i told i never seen in the market a similar sword .. well .....there's one .. i know .. a deepeeka model .. but .. you know... deepeeka. Big Grin

“I came, I saw, God conquered"
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Based on handling first and aesthetics a close second I'd have to go with........

1) Albion's Brescia Spadona- By far the best sword I've ever used. Man she just floats through forms and cutting drills. Hands down the best sword I've ever had pass through my hands and will only part with her after my death. God I love that sword.

2) A&A's German Bastard Sword- This sword while being listed as a bastard is to me a two hander. But what's cumbersome in one hand just floats in two when she's up to speed. Recoveries not too quick in a committed cut but that may well be a result of my technique which is far from perfect. The fit and finish on my sword is just spectacular. A really beautiful sword I'm lucky to own.

I still have yet to order the Earl and Munich so this list may change.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:

1) Peter Johnsson's type XVIIIc for the Masters of Fire exhibit a year or two back. Wide flattened diamond section blade with a small fuller and an incised line down one side of the fuller, down turned guard, tooled green leather waisted grip and a wheel pommel with bronze inserts. Hands down my favourite sword I've ever seen. Came with a tooled leather scabbard to match the grip, unfortunatley I have not seen photos of the scabbard.

I was able to find the picture of this sword on the Masters of Fire page. Gorgeous comes to mind. I don't suppose anyone knows the specs for this blade do they?

As to which two handed swords?

1. My AT1423 with hilt work by Christian Fletcher. I have no real experience with swordsmanship but this thing is solid. One handed it is nowhere near as easy to control as two handed. Though it is possible.

2. I really not sure. Though a Type XIIIc is at the top of my list. Or possibly an AT1433 Type XVIa which would fit the same niche. Just earlier in time from what I have read here.

Scott
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
I was able to find the picture of this sword on the Masters of Fire page. Gorgeous comes to mind. I don't suppose anyone knows the specs for this blade do they?

I don't know the specs, but I've handled the sword, and it is NICE. It is far bigger than it looks in photos. While you could use it in one hand to some degree, it really is a two hander. Its a little on the hefty side, but in a good way. Quite a lot of power behind it, with a very broad but thin blade, as I recall.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott, brief specs are on the Masters of Fire web page, go to "exhibits" at the top of the page and when it comes up, scroll down to Peter's sword. It is about 6 or 7 swords down the exhibit list. There are two photo's. One of the full sword and also a close up of the hilt and approximately the first four inches of the blade.

Bill you have handled the sword?!?!?!?!? You sir have my undying jealousy and emnity....actually the latter may be a bad idea given your backround.

Emailing Patrick Kelly some time ago he informed me that a friend of his had purchased it. Whoever that is is very fortunate.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin King wrote:
Arma Bohemia has done a copy of a longsword in the Cluny Museum that is similar in style to the Munich, this is also a much-desired sword for me.

I think you should buy one and tell us all what its like!! Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gotta love Google.........

Attachment: 133.23 KB
[ Download ]
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These images are even better. Man I want this sword.

Attachment: 6.46 KB
6-peter-johnsson-detail_small.jpg
Peter Johnssons Masters of Fire sword hilt

Attachment: 15.95 KB
6-peter-johnsson.jpg
Peter Johnssons Masters of Fire sword overall shot

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
These images are even better. Man I want this sword.

Let me tell you, the pics don't do it justice. Happy The owner asked that I not reveal his name (I don't believe he wants people to know he has such an amazing work of art in his home). He's not local to me, otherwise I'd try to get pics and measurements myself.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 06 May, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Favorite Two-Handed Sword?         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:

I was wondering what your favorite, top-two choices would be for a two-handed sword. They can be in your top-two for any reason....

I like A&A's Two-Handed Sword. It is one of those swords that somehow just seems to get a "lost" in their lineup...

I also like the Knecht and Munich models from Albion.

I'm waiting to see how Albion's two-handers turn out, though...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that is a beauty... So that is a unique creation, one of a kind?

Peter Johnsson's Sword specs:

EXHIBIT SPECIFICATIONS
Total length: 116,5 cm
Blade length: 86,8 cm
Blade width at base: 7.8 cm
Grip length: 21,5 cm
Weight: 1,5 kilos
Balance point: 8.5 cm from guard
Forward poivot point: At point of the blade
Aft poivot point: 34 cm from guard
Blade node: 50 cm from guard
Grip node: 9 cm from guard

Steel in blade: SIS 2090
Steel in guard and pommel: SIS 1672, heat treated (I will return shortly with exact alloy composition).
Pommel features bronze inserts.
Gripp of with core of maple wood, bound with fine cord and covered with vegetable tanned goat leather.

Last edited by Chris Artman on Wed 07 May, 2008 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a 68.5" long two handed from A&A in the custom section. Is this what you meant by overlooked 2-hander?

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/custom912.html My guess is that you meant this: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/sword156.html

I have two Landesknecht swords already... But that custom one looks nice from A&A. I think I'll keep an Eye on the Dane from Albion. I hope Albions Dane turns out nicer than the A&A version... not that anything is wrong with it:

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/custom931.html

The Knecht looks like giant kitchen knife to me... ??

I think I'm down to a toss-up between the Gothic Munich, Brescia Spadona, Viceroy, Regent, and Earl. Wink So hard to pick!!

Christian Fletcher Borderwatch?

http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fl...words.html

Which one is it using the above link? Oh, I see it now, it is clearly labled... I wonder how much that costs? Anyone have any sword from the above link? How do they compare with the Albion swords listed above?

If limited to the Albion Swords, I'm leaning toward a Gothic Munich, however, that is the same price as the Brescia Spadonia... Wouldn't you want the Spadonia for the same price? I'll have to think about it. I like the extra length and look of the Gothic version of the Munich. I suppose the above person raving about the Spadonia for the same price, and also it being 'museum' level, is appealing about the Spadonia. I like the slightly wider blade of the Spadonia, but I like the extra length of the Munich. Wish I could see or play with both. (The Viceroy, regent, and Earl seem nice also). Ugh!!!! What do you use as tiebreakers?

Last edited by Chris Artman on Wed 07 May, 2008 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 May, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please consider the Albion Fiore. It is a great longsword, very well balanced, good to handle, quick in the trhust and good enough for the cut.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Favorite Two-Handed Sword?
Page 1 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: