Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Musket vs. Crossbow & Longbow Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next 
Rod Parsons

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Which test?         Reply with quote

Carl,
Which test are you decribing, where is it documented?
Rod.
Carl Scholer

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, by far the best TV test I have seen is this one by "The Weapons that Made Britain". The ballistics lab actually felt confident enough in the results of the test to stake their reputation on them by posted them on their website. They showed how the breastplates and the arrows were made. They consulted experts in metallurgy and ballistics to get the specifics right. All in all it was very well done. This is for the 150lbs longbow against the breastplate test:

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/W/weapons/longbow.html

These are the results from the University of Reading which were conducted by Dr. Alan Williams,

http://www.rdg.ac.uk/engin/home/material/ancient/armour.htm

If you want more information on the specifics of the test you can write to:

Engineering Building, School of Construction Management and Engineering, The University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading, Berkshire, RG6 6AY, UK

This is where the bodkin ballistic and archeological testing comes from, I believe the bolt and arrow tests against the wrought iron plate also come from this study:

Peter N. Jones, "The Metallography and Relative Effectiveness of
Arrowheads and Armor During the Middle Ages." _Materials_Characterization_,
vol. 29, pp.111-117 (1992). [A periodical published by Elsevier Science
Publishing Co., Inc., 655 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10010]

This is the site where the ballistic properties of longbow arrows are analyzed,

http://www.stortford-archers.org.uk/medieval.htm
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: I don't think so...         Reply with quote

The Stortford material is predated by the appendices in Hardy's "Longbow" which in turn utilises the seminal work of Klopsteg and Hickman.
(P.H.Blyth on design and materials of the bow, P.L. Pratt on the arrow and Peter Jones on the target.)

I will waste little time commenting on the Alan Williams programme, since it is the test I made reference to in my earlier post. It is generally regarded here amongst the serious longbow fraternity as a pathetic joke.
On seeing this when it was first transmitted I immediately rang Hector Cole to compare notes on this particular travesty and to ask why he permitted himself to be associated with such nonsense.

This "test" dropped a type 7 of wrought iron onto a plate mounted on a hard surface. Who but a complete idiot or someone with an agenda would have expected anything else but that the point would fail?
Wrong point, wrong tip, and wrong substrate just for starters.
BTW the bow in that programme was Hector's sporting bow.

The "Weapons that Made Britain" programme was better, but still flawed.

If your opinion is formed by such popular TV material then it is past time to reassess the standard of your sources. Even the title is stupid. If anything, if you take the long view, the longbow might be called the "Weapon That Made France".
Rod.
Carl Scholer

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

LOL, what an interesting response Laughing Out Loud So far most of what you have stated is that you think such and such source is stupid, and such and such source sucks, and if you believe in such and such source your an idiot. Your criticisms are welcome, but your attitude is not.

If the Weapons that Made Britain's test is false you are going to have to tell me why you think it is false. The velocities are right, the projectile weights are right. So the energies involved are right. The materials used looked right and were made using the correct processes. I mean that’s all of the major variables.

I've seen the impact tester used before where a hard surface was not used and a simulated lance blow was allowed to achieve full penetration on a simulated mail and textile defense. Is their a video of Williams tests that shows the plates being tested and shows that the plates being are backed by some sort of hard surface, if it's a hard surface what kind of surface was it.

You haven't even commented on the results from Peter N. Jones findings. He based the construction of his arrowheads and armour from archeological findings. The test used a 70lbs longbow against a wrought iron flat plate and found that against 2mm only 11mm of penetration resulted. Even when compared to a 150lbs longbow you should still be getting about 60-70% of the velocity with the same arrow weight when compared to the 150lbs bow.

In any case, I thought I heard that in Hardy's book he mentioned in the appendix that he didn't believe the longbow capable of penetrating the thicker 2 and 3mm sections of the breastplate, while it would have had no problems dealing with the thinner arms, legs, and sides sections of the armour. I'll have to see if my library carries it to check it out.

P.S The show is called the weapons that made Britain because its various segments are made up testing weapons that were used in the critical battles of English history.
David Ruff

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I don't think so...         Reply with quote

Rod Parsons wrote:
The Stortford material is predated by the appendices in Hardy's "Longbow" which in turn utilises the seminal work of Klopsteg and Hickman.
(P.H.Blyth on design and materials of the bow, P.L. Pratt on the arrow and Peter Jones on the target.)

I will waste little time commenting on the Alan Williams programme, since it is the test I made reference to in my earlier post. It is generally regarded here amongst the serious longbow fraternity as a pathetic joke.
On seeing this when it was first transmitted I immediately rang Hector Cole to compare notes on this particular travesty and to ask why he permitted himself to be associated with such nonsense.

This "test" dropped a type 7 of wrought iron onto a plate mounted on a hard surface. Who but a complete idiot or someone with an agenda would have expected anything else but that the point would fail?
Wrong point, wrong tip, and wrong substrate just for starters.
BTW the bow in that programme was Hector's sporting bow.

The "Weapons that Made Britain" programme was better, but still flawed.

If your opinion is formed by such popular TV material then it is past time to reassess the standard of your sources. Even the title is stupid. If anything, if you take the long view, the longbow might be called the "Weapon That Made France".
Rod.

I saw one of these shows where they fired on a breastplate at about 10 feet and the arrow went straight thru the armor - front and back. The arrow was sticking out the back by the fletch. I believe that show was about trebuchetes and had an archer trying to hit a armored solder at 200 yards. He failed to do it, but when asked what would happen at this range (5 to 10 feet) - the armor failed, no data on the armor.

Also saw another show in which they were demo'ing some bows and crossbows - what a knight would have faced. The crossbow used was a copy of the payne-galwey bow - it looked like and was clearing a windlass bow as he cranked it up. What was disturbing to me however was that he fired on a hanging bundle of straw about 50 feet or so away and hit it. Then went over and got his bolt out of the hay.

I am quite versed in heavy bows. I am quite versed in shooting at tight bound hay and straw. There was NO WAY that crossbow was a real powered windlasss bow. Even a 150lb steel prod will sink a bolt and often time blow thru 12" of tight packed hay/straw. Heck my 450lb would have taken a chunk out of the bundle (and has).

A 70lb longbow has about 1400 in/lbs of energy where my 450lb crossbow has around 2250 in/lbs - as rod has pointed out its the missile which is going to dictate if that potential is going to be used as KE or joules or not when the missile strikes. The 450lb crossbow is FAR more powerful then the 70lb longbow however is almost equal to a 120lb longbow, and less powerful then a 150lb longbow. This new 600lb crossbow i have here has 600lbs at 8" draw or 4800 in/lbs compared to a 150lb longbow at 3000 to 3450in/lbs.

I do not write much about the 600lb as it has a steel prod and is pulling 8" which to the best of my knowledge is not period, BUT am here to tell you would completely END the argument in favor of knights died to holy breastplates. This is why im not worried about a 900lb bow piercing.

Now as to my testing on the cronny

A longbow loses speed as it goes out, where a crossbow retains its speed much better. This also maybe why a crossbow bolt penetrates better and hits harder then an arrow of equal weight and starting speed. Also a crossbow bolt will fly farther. <--- payne galwey shot a bolt 450 yards on a 1200lb bow. I have shot bolts 250 to 300+ yards - my 450lb is capable of 325 yards, we will see what it can do on the heavy missle i put thru plate, chain and a haybail today.

I WILL be firing war bolts and arrows for range when we do the plate testing and listing weights and distance as well.

I know that the heavier the bow - the heavier the missile that can be fired and maintain the same speed - heavier at same speed = more KE. But i am inclined to also thing that numbers do not match real world as i am firing thru cronnys and seeing results on targets.

I figure if you want to argue it, put the plate on, stand infront of the bow and you got nothen to worry about - right ? Happy

David
Clinton Harris

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Chain Maille         Reply with quote

David you owe me 250 for the chain maile coif you damaged. I own the materials Jodi did the labor. It was not rivited chain simply butted (poor knight's chain) so maybe~maybe not, none the less chain I believe will fail double or triple, king's maile, 6 in 1, 4 in 1 or what ever (at this point 10 people are ralling about scietific test, and niffty TV shows)

The material being worked are pending we are in combat jousting season and I am mending or building armor for these guys & girls. As I have said before this is business to me. On that note I paid for material, I am paying for labor to construct the weapon and armor. I get to determine the test structure and type. Anyone else want to do this they are more then welcome to A. throw in on this and have a say or B. do there own test.

Lets talk reality for a second, if knights in plate mail were safe from crossbows, longbow, javelins, spears, pikes, and another other pointed staffed weapon, then what killed them? I want 50 of these powerhouse knights because I will rule Europe inside of two weeks in period (minus transport time). I know I sound like a jerk but I broke metalsmith rule #1 D NOT NOT NOT hit the fleshy colored part. broke my thumb and two fingers, during the busy time of year of course. In a bit of pain. and seems this dead horse keeps getting beaten?? why?? Let do some real testing and cal it good minus the finight hair splitting, what happened in ren and mid combat? none of know for sure none of us were there to witness or be involved and the good old, ourside is amazing, factor is present in many winess accounts.
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Again?         Reply with quote

Read it again Carl, especially the part about the Williams TV programme. You have to ask why a test against plate would be performed with an unhardened type 7 replica representing a bow 70 lb draw weight.
The type 7 long needle bodkin is not a point that would be intended for use against plate, even if hardened.
The tip geometry is entirely unsuitable for such use.
More respect would be offered this TV item if a steel tipped heavy bodkin had been used representing a force of in excess of 150 lb. I do not attribute the stupidity to any particular person, since I am not privy to the decision making process during the making of this farrago.
I do know that the point was made by Hector and that he reports that he was unaware of the use to which it would be put and had little or no involvement in the content.
And yes, I do know why the other programme was so named and it has more to do with national self image than political realities. It is however one of only two offerings on TV that made a respectable effort to represent proper practice as it is understood by those who shoot the heavy shaft out of the heavy bow.
Rod.

Last edited by Rod Parsons on Thu 22 Jun, 2006 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well there are scientific valid controlled tests and then there are semi-educational, semi-entertainement T.V. where part of what is shown might be the actual tests ( valid or not ) and faked shot to sex-up the program shooting or cranking up something very fake and then cutting to a real test impact. Just entertainment, good editing, who knows ? I haven't seen any of these programs so I have zero opinion about their validity.

I did work in industrial T.V. for 25 years and did video editing among a few things as well as being a film buff, so i can guess that you can't believe that the close up you just saw of someone shooting and the hit on target you just saw after was actually what really happened and the same one event.

Oh, just a comment: I've noticed some crosstalk between this topic thread and the other topic thread also dealing with crossbows and I'm getting confused when I answer something said on this thread while having in mind what was said in the other. Confused

Oh, and I can see better what Nathan may have been getting at on the other topic that may also apply to this one: Focussing on first hand observation might be more productive than arguing about second hand information of variable and unverifiable quality. There is lots I find interesting in the debates but we are not curing cancer here. Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Clinton Harris

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: which one?         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Do you really expect me to believe that you can put an arrow through a three inch thick steel plate?

Steel or iron? differant properties
Clinton Harris

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Inferences.         Reply with quote

David Ruff wrote:
Rod Parsons wrote:
You can also infer that the good friar was not an authority on making arrowheads, that a journalist will tend to put a gloss on things and being considered arrow proof is not a guarantee.
Excuse me, did I say "spear"? I must have been thinking of the Viking sagas. I should have said "rondel".
See "MRL 15thC English Rondel Dagger" where you say "I thought that the whole point of the rondel was to enable the second hand to exert additional force when punching through maille".
But then a spear will follow where a rondel can go...
Rod.

I wanna see maille stop a lance, or a pike!!!!! i have 2 pikes here right now im willing to test!!!...... I have access to a 18 hand horse and im sure we can cut some lances and tip them..... Anyone wanna take a shot from a lance wearing maille and cloth? i will even provide the maille, cloth and even some plate!!!!!

what about from a close range heavy arrow tipped with a needle bodkin? the arrow is going through. It may not go through the wearer, but the tip itself is going to enter the skin and muscle. Those tips were designed with thin cross sections and 90 degree edges with a very soft sweep to wedge into the ring and break it by cutting it from the inside out in three to four areas of the ring. They were 4 to 5" long (i believe - correct me if im wrong) and designed (only purpose in life) was to pierce maille, plate, and shields.....

Pics of one of the two pikes i have here... Made from forged and tempered steel. They are sharp and they cut deep. While they are not mine they are here staying with me until i get get back to the forge to drop them off. But am MORE then willing to poke maille with them to show what a pike can do with even a light thrust.

Hey clint say hi to your pike!!! :P

The other pike is dubbed "the bi^ch" it drew blood 110 times in its making and handling.... Shes not nice.

David

Yes that is my Halbert (from a Elizabethan model one of our partner's owns, documents from Christies Auction House) iron core material using heat and carbon introduction for the striking edges (spike, hook, axe head) pretty close to period build. As far as going through maile? sure. Our chainmailer is making us solid and rivited mailw of three differant types. King's maile, Japanesse 6 in 1, and standard 4 in 1.

David they are Halberts pikes are long (typically 10 or greater feet) with various spear style heads. but this has already been addressed. Careful with the fluted one she is blood thirsty (I normally just consider all weapons (includeding the famed Katana) shaped steel but that one has already caused more damage to people then all three of the others combined)
Clinton Harris

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Good observation         Reply with quote

Carl Scholer wrote:
David;

Well I think it's important to remember that some pretty good tests have already been done on the subject by universities with expensive lab equipment and people with doctorates. Most of the data is contradictory, though not extremely, to the results of your tests.

Out of curiosity though what kind of steel are you using for your bolt heads. I'm thinking it might give me a clue as to why your bolts are penetrating so easily. So far I have been researching the materials you have been using in your tests on matweb.com. It looks like 1020 steel has a Vickers hardness rating of about 126 and 1050 steel has a hardness of 242 as rolled. The 1050, at least in terms of hardness, is equivalent to later run of the mill armours of the 15th through 17th centuries. The 1020 looks like it might decently represent the hardness of 14th century iron armour and earlier. Some of the better armours could have harnesses in the 300's and 400's, for example this suit averaged 340 in Vickers:

http://www.wallacecollection.org/i_s/conserva...armour.htm

Of course these are all really rough estimations. It may be that this is only the surface hardness of the armours instead of their actual hardness.

It's also a good idea to remember that if your armour is limited by poor mettallurgy so are your arrowheads. Projectile deformation is a very important component of ballistics testing. After all we don't test WWII tank armour by shooting depleted uranium at old 1940's Panzers Happy

P.S.

We do have an armour which suffered some punctures to the shoulder plate from the strikes of a pollaxe. I have a picture of it on my computer but I don't remember which museum has it.

Nice point concerning hardness, the stats your give are for simple sheet (which david is shooting) none tempered, none hardened etc. etc. just mill sheet. If we harden (via any one of several methods) we should (according to my metal engineers book) take 1050 up to around 250 on the hardness scale, a proper temp we can max at 550 Vickers. Lets take 1095 a even batter grade materal, heat and flatten (typically comes in bar or flat stock, this I use for patterned welded blades along with 20N15) temper. that should be intresting to destructice test (as we did to prove war Katanas (not the fast draw model) can cut into metal armor) As for arrow head, see other threat too much cross chatter.
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Inferences.         Reply with quote

[quote="Dan Howard"]
David Ruff wrote:
Your whole argument seems to be "our superlongbows can reliably penetrate medieval armour. We have no scientific data, no archaeological evidence, and no primary documentation, and we'll ignore everything you produce that suggests otherwise."

Archaeological evidence: Dispite there being many extant samples of plate armour showing battle damage, not a single one shows evidence of being holed by a longbow.

Primary sources: Dispite the thousands of eyewitness accounts of medieval battles, not a single one mentions a man being killed, or even incapacitated through his plate harness by a longbow.

Dan,
It would be foolish to claim that any arrow from any longbow would be capable of penetrating any plate and killing the wearer. But the quote above is your own rhetorical device, not the position of an archer reasonably informed upon the topic.

I can't speak to your second point, not having enough knowledge of extant damaged period pieces.

As to your third point, I can think of at least one account, a man being killed by a shot to the head which pierced the side of his headgear. This is mentioned in "The Great Warbow". I'll see if I can dig out the reference.
I would assume that this man was struck where the metal was thinner and the projectile struck close to perpendicular to the surface, since Mark Stretton reports that a heavy shaft penetrates with relative ease when the metal is in the order of 1mm to 1.5mm in thickness, bearing in mind the studies on angle as it effects penetration.
Rod.

PS. Apropos the Science fact file on the Channel 4 web site, I see that there are three amusing pieces of "information".

It says the longbow was developed from the Welsh bow. Rubbish, the longbow has been a predomininant type in NW Europe since at least the neolithic, with some variation in forms. Encounters with the Welsh had a formative influence on the tactics of Longshanks' captains. The longbow was already in widespread use in England and there was no dearth of archers.

It says the longbow will cast an arrow at 140 mph. That's about 205 fps. My fastest yew target style bow is considered fast at 170 fps with a 500 grain arrow, a war bow shooting a heavy (1200 to 1750 grain) shaft will more likely cast in the 140/150 fps ballpark.

It says the effective range is up to 180 metres (about 196 yards). Strange then that Simon Stanley has been piercing a small road sign at over 300 yards with a "flighting" arrow (2.5 to 3 oz) which is the sort of kit that would be used to disrupt proceedings in the erly stages of a battle.
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Inferences.         Reply with quote

Rod Parsons wrote:
It would be foolish to claim that any arrow from any longbow would be capable of penetrating any plate and killing the wearer. But the quote above is your own rhetorical device, not the position of an archer reasonably informed upon the topic.

I didn't make this comment in reply to one of your posts. It is definitely the position held by several people on these threads. I don't count you among them.

Quote:
As to your third point, I can think of at least one account, a man being killed by a shot to the head which pierced the side of his headgear. This is mentioned in "The Great Warbow". I'll see if I can dig out the reference.

Yes please.

Quote:
I would assume that this man was struck where the metal was thinner and the projectile struck close to perpendicular to the surface, since Mark Stretton reports that a heavy shaft penetrates with relative ease when the metal is in the order of 1mm to 1.5mm in thickness, bearing in mind the studies on angle as it effects penetration.

Agreed. I have said many times that I have no doubt that plate penetration occurred on rare occasions, but to claim that it was a common battlefield occurrence is ridiculous. Again, I am not including you amongst those who do this.

Quote:
PS. Apropos the Science fact file on the Channel 4 web site, I see that there are three amusing pieces of "information".

It says the longbow was developed from the Welsh bow. Rubbish, the longbow has been a predomininant type in NW Europe since at least the neolithic, with some variation in forms. Encounters with the Welsh had a formative influence on the tactics of Longshanks' captains. The longbow was already in widespread use in England and there was no dearth of archers.

It says the longbow will cast an arrow at 140 mph. That's about 205 fps. My fastest yew target style bow is considered fast at 170 fps with a 500 grain arrow, a war bow shooting a heavy (1200 to 1750 grain) shaft will more likely cast in the 140/150 fps ballpark.

It says the effective range is up to 180 metres (about 196 yards). Strange then that Simon Stanley has been piercing a small road sign at over 300 yards with a "flighting" arrow (2.5 to 3 oz) which is the sort of kit that would be used to disrupt proceedings in the erly stages of a battle.

Agreed on all counts.
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re         Reply with quote

I reckon it comes to what you mean by "rare". I would suggest not so rare as you might think, but that is just the opinion of a dyed in the wool English longbowman. :-)
As I said before, I think we are more in agreement than not.
Rod.
David Ruff

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Re         Reply with quote

Rod Parsons wrote:
I reckon it comes to what you mean by "rare". I would suggest not so rare as you might think, but that is just the opinion of a dyed in the wool English longbowman. :-)
As I said before, I think we are more in agreement than not.
Rod.

I have to agree with rod, its not as rare as you may think dan.

Here is all i'm saying.....

1050 carbon steel heated to critical and then quenched in oil. It is then brought to 550 degrees and held there for 3 hours and some minutes.

Stainless steel maille

A hay bail

ALL were penetrated. Now THIS IS NOT PERIOD TESTING - i admit that... however due to the physics and undeniable fact that modern materials used in this test are stronger then period counterparts lays way to if it happen here - it should happen then - note the "SHOULD" happen.

That is the reason we are making wrought plates, wrought maille and arming coats. That all armor is being shot at from varying powers and from angles from head on to 90 degrees. We are shooting at 1mm to 6mm to give us a good array of metal thickness.

So my only question then will be when we put holes in the armor that is the closest we can get to sans robbing a museum - whats the excuse then?

1: i NEVER said it happen all the time
2: i said it happen and knights died to missile fire - crossbows more then bows.
3: i was not the one that said "bolts and arrows did not penetrate armor"

In the end of this we may find that even 3mm plate was indeed proofed and many here can then point and laugh at me. But again i say if it was proofed who wants to sign a waiver. If your that sure and believe the testing of these experts - then what is there to lose? I know what the bows can do (and has done) to modern plate - i won't be the one to pull the trigger on a volunteer.

David
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How many tinmes do I have to say that armour tests are a waste of time unless an attempt is made to replicate the arming garment worn underneath. Even Rod acknowledges that this is a crucial part of any testing process. Hay bales are hardly acceptable. I have also previously said that your proposed tests will produce some useful results (so long as your arrowheads are made from the same wrought iron). That doesn't mean that any test you have done so far is even remotely useful. Please stop bringing these up.
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

Part of the issue with arming garments is that IMO the usual re-enactors garment is not up to the standard of a real arming garment, jack or aketon. The number of layers and weight of fabric is important, and it seems that if there is "doubling" then resistance is most likely increased over a single sandwich layer of padding of the same total thickness.

This is an area of investigation that I currently find more interesting than shooting at plate, but it is too soon to come to a definite conclusion.

Another element is that whilst the ideal point for penetrating properly made padding is perfectly adequate for maille, the ideal point for puncturing plate alone is probably less than ideal for penetrating padding.

I would say that Mark Stretton is on the right track, having moved away from the short nosed heavy bodkin pattern to a type replicating a head found at Towton, which is a useful compromise in shape between the heavy pattern and a longer point, though not nearly so long as the type 7 which would be prone to collapse on striking hardened plate of any great thickness.

This head is very like an extremely large type 9, with steel forged into the tip and cutting edges. It also appears important that the head is securely glued to the shaft with glue solidly filling any voids in the end of the socket, since it appears that the shaft is capable of forcing open the rolled socket of an insecurely mounted head upon impact, thereby reducing the momentum of the shaft beyond the initial shock of impact.

Whilst it may well be effective to have a barbed head come off easily in a soft target, it would seem to be inefficient to have the same fitting on a shaft intended to penetrate plate.

On the other hand, that the old plate was hand beaten and would have more impurities than modern steel may work against it, particularly if the ductility of the metal varies from area to area along with variations in thickness.
Obviously emphasis was placed upon greater strength in certain locations and with the corollary that other areas would be less strong, then shot placement and the angle of the strike are very important.

Finally, it would also be wrong to make uninformed conclusions about the variability of quality from suit to suit, though it stands to reason from an economical viewpoint that not everyone on the field would benefit from protection of the same quality.
Rod.
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Analysis of maille?         Reply with quote

Dan,
Is there a published work comparable to the analysis of plate by Alan Williams for the Wallace Collection or the appendix in "Longbow" by Peter Jones which looks at the construction options, hardness and ductility of the rings in 14th/15th C maille? I will put the same question to Pekka and Erik et al. on the rivetedmaille site.
Rod.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something that also comes to mind is the importance of distance in the equation. At a good distance a heavily armoured knight would be fairly secure from most projectiles from infantry but one up close this changes. I would assume that at over 100 yards a fully armed man would be generally OK from most things but the other 90% of the army not very likely. Now something else is why the importance at keeping the horsemen from the archers. Their kill ratio likely goes up closer and closer they come (distance) but the horse can cover a good amount of distance in just seconds so now they have to keep stakes or men at arms between them or Patay happens. I think the armour had to have been strong enough that the men felt it would protect them from most danger or they would have abandoned it. The same goes for the longbow and the crossbow. If useless they would have been discarded which in the end they were but liekly more to sloth and the expense of the crossbow. I doubt that men dying from the longbow was rare but I do not think the knight was a sitting duck either. There likely was the equilibrium we do not see in their battles for them to coexist as they did.

Rod,
Is their anything at the end of the Knight and The Blast Furnace on this? I do not own a copy here but thought there was.
Also do you have any details on padded garments from the medieval period still in existance? I know of a few (three) and have an article on the black princes but would be interested in more infor if you could spare it.

Randall
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Layered protection makes great sense to maximise the protective qualities of the whole defense system: After all what one wants it to not be killed or even wounded, and if wounded, as little as possible: Not getting a hole in one's plate is just a bonus considering that replacing or repairing one must have been costly if we are talking of the best available plate.

A point that is ideal in design to pierce plate might be the exactly worse choice for piercing maille or cloth and a compromise point would loose some effectiveness against the first layer of protection it has to defeat.

The only other factor I see with the padding is in taking away energy from getting through the plate by wasting energy on compressing the cloth.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Musket vs. Crossbow & Longbow
Page 7 of 15 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: