Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hackbutt project (or hackenbushe) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Charlie Mabie

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Hackbutt project (or hackenbushe)         Reply with quote

Here are some pics of one of my recent projects (I appologize that the flash makes parts of the wood look unfinished). The bore is .75, and the "barrel bands" and blade were forged at my local 'smiths shop.

Not an exact copy, but rather a "representation" of pics and drawing I have seen on websites and in books.

Has anyone else undertaken a similar project?

Attachment: 49.51 KB
HPIM3924.jpg

Attachment: 65.07 KB
HPIM3928.jpg

Coehornboy
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hackbutt project (or hackenbushe)         Reply with quote

Charlie Mabie wrote:
Here are some pics of one of my recent projects (I appologize that the flash makes parts of the wood look unfinished). The bore is .75, and the "barrel bands" and blade were forged at my local 'smiths shop.

Not an exact copy, but rather a "representation" of pics and drawing I have seen on websites and in books.

Has anyone else undertaken a similar project?

That is a very nice piece. I assume the wood is oak.

Your gun looks very much like an original I have seen illustrated somewhere, I don't remember where at the moment.

Have you fired it yet?

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That looks awesome! Is the loop to brace it? Even if it were just a nice decoration around it would be fine. Very nice look to it.

Does it work? Have you used it? Thanks for the pictures of it.

RPM
Charlie Mabie

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is made of oak...and I have fired it.

The barrel is made with a sub-scale chamber on the back for the powder (about 70 or 80 grains ffg, and I use a 12 ga shotgun wad instead of a patch. I have learned to use a bit longer fuse, which gives time to "aim."

Now, for the ring on the side...

I have seen these on both replica and original gonnes....but I don't know the use or origin. Perhaps for storage, or to attach to a lanyard of some sorts? Any opinions?

I have read in many books that the "hacke" on the bottom was so that the recoil could be absorbed by hooking over a rail or parapet....however, anyone who has fired one of these knows that there is little recoil due to the the bulk of the material used. It clearly was for a secondary line of defense when you couldn't reload and needed a haqnd-held weapon (the blade on this one, albeit hardened/tempered, is not sharpened, but will effortlessly puncture a dryer/washing machine door (I assume similar to plate armor?).

Coehornboy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Charlie Mabie wrote:

I have read in many books that the "hacke" on the bottom was so that the recoil could be absorbed by hooking over a rail or parapet....however, anyone who has fired one of these knows that there is little recoil due to the the bulk of the material used. It clearly was for a secondary line of defense when you couldn't reload and needed a haqnd-held weapon (the blade on this one, albeit hardened/tempered, is not sharpened, but will effortlessly puncture a dryer/washing machine door (I assume similar to plate armor?).

I wonder about the calibre being a reason why the recoil is very mild in 12 gauge ( approximately ): A heavier type of 8 gauge or 4 gauge might benefit from the hook to brace for recoil ? Powder charge also being important since even a 1/4 pound ball might not give too much recoil at 600 ft/sec.

But I agree that the hook looks like it would be very useful as a backup weapon.

Much heavier ones in the half pounder to one pound or more range would be more light artillery than being a hangonnes.

Oh, very nice work by the way, I really like it. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Doug Strong

PostPosted: Wed 30 Apr, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I made a bunch of them in the early 90s. They were basically the same style as the one at the beginning of the thread. I used an iron barrel though. I cannot think of any pics i have but I must have taken some. I'll have to do some digging. They are fun to shoot and very LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!
Dr. Douglas W. Strong
http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/
http://armourresearchsociety.org
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 May, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Charlie Mabie wrote:

Hmm...I have a suspicion that the hook would still be very useful when hooking the gun over a gunwale or parapet, even if the recoil is too small to warrant its use as a recoil absorber--the guns could get rather heavy, and hooking the gun in this manner would have relieved much of the strain of propping up the gun from the gunner's arm as well as allowing more accuracy due to the use of a more stable platform (a solid parapet vs. a human arm) to prop up the business end of the gun. The hook would stabilize the gun in this position and prevent it from shifting everywhere. Of course, this doesn't invalidate your hypothesis that the hook might be usable as a hand-to-hand weapon in a pinch, even if I don't think it would have been that useful against plate armor.
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Fri 02 May, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

oooh, very nice!
I never seen such (working replicas) for sale on the open market, and I'm curious, as there are so meny kinds of other working firearm styles - I even checked once a working wheel lock pistol replica (don't know who the maker was).
Attached here is my own project, made about 2-3 years ago from scrap. The barrel was obviously made for a miniature canon - it is cast & turned hard bronze, haft is oakwood hoe handle, dipped in burnt machine oil.

Attachment: 134.05 KB
Copy of gonne1.JPG

Attachment: 116.07 KB
Copy of gonne2.JPG

Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Chuck Wyatt

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 02 May, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Charlie,

Great job! any chance you could take some pics of it being fired or if possible a video ?
Again great work.

Chuck

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hackbutt project (or hackenbushe)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic