Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Falcata Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jimmie Johansson

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Windlass Falcata         Reply with quote

Hi!

My question is for those who own a Windlass Falcata, how good do they handle cutting through mellons, plastic bottles and such? Are they steady and can they handle contact with harder material (like other blades, ofcourse blunted!)?

Cheers. Happy
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Windlass Falcata         Reply with quote

Jimmie Johansson wrote:
Hi!

My question is for those who own a Windlass Falcata, how good do they handle cutting through mellons, plastic bottles and such? Are they steady and can they handle contact with harder material (like other blades, ofcourse blunted!)?

Cheers. Happy

Welcome,

I bought 2 of these and had to send both back, both did not appear to be securely peened to the hilt. Otherwise they are very beautiful pieces, but I would think twice about using them for contact. The blades seem well tempeted, but the construction in my opinion is slightly suspect.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Jimmie Johansson

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Windlass Falcata         Reply with quote

Mike Arledge wrote:

Welcome,

I bought 2 of these and had to send both back, both did not appear to be securely peened to the hilt. Otherwise they are very beautiful pieces, but I would think twice about using them for contact. The blades seem well tempeted, but the construction in my opinion is slightly suspect.

I´ve read that the fittings and the handle on the Windlass can be bad, alldo I would prefer Din Tels Falcata it´s a matter of economy and I can only afford either the Windlass or the Deepeeka (the horsehead), and from what I´ve read the Deepeeka is much more heavier and off-balanced. Cry
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My handle was also a bit loose but a little epoxy and small slivers of wood fixed that.

Haven't used it against hard targets but melons and pumpkins seemed to have been suitably " scared ". Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Very very scary cutter and the heat threat seems reasonably good as it takes a decent edge.

Don't really know how robust the tang is since I couldn't easily take the handle off to actually see it.
The peen looks like the end of the tang is at least of good size and the problem with looseness may just be due to imprecise fit?

The handle stayed tight even after the cutting, so it doesn't seem to be a serious problem: If left loose it might get worse but once fixed it seems O.K. now ! ( Oh, did hit the post holding the melons HARD twice without any loosening of my shim repair ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jimmie Johansson

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
My handle was also a bit loose but a little epoxy and small slivers of wood fixed that.

Haven't used it against hard targets but melons and pumpkins seemed to have been suitably " scared ". Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Very very scary cutter and the heat threat seems reasonably good as it takes a decent edge.

Don't really know how robust the tang is since I couldn't easily take the handle off to actually see it.
The peen looks like the end of the tang is at least of good size and the problem with looseness may just be due to imprecise fit?

The handle stayed tight even after the cutting, so it doesn't seem to be a serious problem: If left loose it might get worse but once fixed it seems O.K. now ! ( Oh, did hit the post holding the melons HARD twice without any loosening of my shim repair ).

Thanks for the info!

Seems like all the Windlass Falcatas have a loose handle? :S
Jimmie Johansson

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If there are any manufacters who can do a custom made falcata that would be great! Then the price could be splitted so I would get around both economically and get my temptations satisfied. Big Grin

Are there any manufactes who could help me with a coustom made for under 900 USD?
Josh MacNeil

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own the Windlass Falcata and it's one of my favorite peices. I beat on mine a little going so far as to take it to some logs and a nice hard blow to the side of a tree. It's developed a slight rattle since then. I would stick to light targets such as bottles, fruit, and tatami mats. Also, take it out of it's sheath and give it little cleaning regularly since the leather traps moisture and results in unattractive rust spots. I learned that lesson with mine. Cheers.

-JM
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jimmie Johansson wrote:
If there are any manufacters who can do a custom made falcata that would be great! Then the price could be splitted so I would get around both economically and get my temptations satisfied. Big Grin

Are there any manufactes who could help me with a coustom made for under 900 USD?

Well you could e-mail OlliN for a quote and discuss a design, my experience with them was great and they are open to doing a wide variety of things: http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/

Their custom shop page: http://ollinsworddesign.com/osd-custom.html

The sword they made for me according to my design: http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/osd-custom-RW.html

A link to the Topic dealing with the above sword and the whole design process front start to finish ( It's a long one and the link is to the first page. Go to the last page to see how it ended up, but the whole story is worth having a look ).
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8131&start=0

Jimmie Johansson

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Jimmie Johansson wrote:

Well you could e-mail OlliN for a quote and discuss a design, my experience with them was great and they are open to doing a wide variety of things: http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/

Their custom shop page: http://ollinsworddesign.com/osd-custom.html

The sword they made for me according to my design: http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/osd-custom-RW.html

A link to the Topic dealing with the above sword and the whole design process front start to finish ( It's a long one and the link is to the first page. Go to the last page to see how it ended up, but the whole story is worth having a look ).
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8131&start=0

I mailed them the same day as you posted that post and I haven´t got any answer yet, maybe they´re wery busy at the moment? =/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I mailed them the same day as you posted that post and I haven´t got any answer yet, maybe they´re wery busy at the moment? =/

An e-mail I sent them recently didn't reach them for some reason, maybe a " Network Glitch " problem as I notice that occasionally some e-mails get lost in cyberspace.

They may also be busy but usually I get a reply within a few days or a week later at the latest.

I " Re-Sent " that e-mail and they replied the next day saying they never got it. ( Which I believe as it was an e-mail replying to them about a design I'm working on with them ........ so no logical reason to ignore my message if they got it ).

Anyway, I would send your message again or give them a phone call if you don't get an reply within a couple days.

Carl Goff

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also chiming in to say I had a loose hilt. Mine's been in storage, so I haven't had a chance to fix it. It handles reasonably well -- a little point-heavy, but I think that's an unavoidable consequence of the design.
Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Chris Boatcallie

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also had a loose hilt. I just stuck it in the ground and tightened it by rehammering the peened edge with a small ball peen. It tightened back up. I have used it to only cut Tatami, but it went through it like butter.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Falcata
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic