Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword edges. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Richard Hare

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Sword edges.         Reply with quote

I have a question, and wondered if anyone here had an answer for me?

We hear on double edged swords of a "strong and weak edge" or some such term.
It is often stated that the "front' edge is termed "strong" and a cut with the back edge is said to be with the weak edge.

I can well see that cutting with the back edge would be less effective, because of the way arm muscles work, but have been wondering, Does "weak" and " strong" actually refer to the way the two edges are ground?

I have never read anything on the blade being ground this way, but it seems to make sense to have one edge stronger, ...sharpened at a more acute angle, for battering away at shields or against maille. (i am thinking particularly of Viking-age blades.)

Why I raise this question, is in re-reading Hilda Ellis Davison's book, "The sword in Anglo-Saxon England".
On page 200 is mention of a fight between Offa,and two advereries, (Must be mid 8th century)
With his famous sword Skrep, he cuts one oponent clean in two, and kills his second opponent by a similar cutting blow after apparently turning his sword so the other edge comes into use:

"He turned the other edge of his sword to the front, fearing that the thin side of his blade was too frail for his strength, and smote with a piercing stroke through the princes body"

This sounds very like the edges were ground differently. Can anyone please shed more light?

Does anyone dress their blades in this manner?

Thank you in advance!

Richard.
Jan H.

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard,

I asked myself this question, too, when I got to know that the very same thing was done to the old doubleedged felling-axes.

In the axemuseum at Gransfors & Bruks, AB in Sweden they had examples of these kind of axes and the blade-geometry at the edge was always so, that one edge was far more developped and better honed. The opposite edge was ground to a much wider angle and was thus used for cutting into harde wood or felling trees at bottom height, were sometimes stones ore anything else might get into the way of the blade and damage it.

http://www.gransfors.com/htm_ger/index.html
when you go for the double axe on this link, they cite something similar.

Me too, would appreciate any existing examples of such treating on swordblades.

On the one hand I think this treatment might sometimes be of some use, as long as one does always know which edge is heading where at the moment, on the other hand I wonder if this might affect blade-dynamics (assymetry!) in a negative way.

Jan
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting thought...

However 'weak' and 'strong' do not refer to each edge, but to parts of the blade. The strong is the part closer to the hilt, the weak is the part closer to the tip. I think there is evidence that these two parts were indeed not sharpened in the same way; the edge geometry certainly varies as the sword is ordinarily thicker at the strong anyway.

The edges themselves are called 'true' and 'false'. So far I have not seen anyone mentionning that they would be sharpened differently on double edged swords. Other blade forms can have something like that, many single edged swords still have a portion of the false edge sharpened. The fact that I have not seen it is hardly a proof, however Happy

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The edges are in some manuals refered to as the long edge (langen schnide) and short edge (kurtzen schnide). This I been told refers to the reach you have with them.
Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Steven H

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Wallgren wrote:
The edges are in some manuals refered to as the long edge (langen schnide) and short edge (kurtzen schnide). This I been told refers to the reach you have with them.

This is the terminology in the German/Lichtenauer tradition. In the Italian tradition it is true edge and false edge.

I've never heard anything about the swords edges being different on each side.

Cheers,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Curt Dunham

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: strong/weak & sharpness         Reply with quote

If you hold your sword in say Pflug and have someone try to move it by pressing on the blade near the hilt (the strong of the blade) and then try to move your blade by pressing on the blade near the tip (the weak of the blade), you'll see immediately where the names come from. The strong of the blade is strong for you, and the weak of the blade is weak for you.

As for sharpening, I sharpen my blade (both edges) from the middle to the tip, where I do most of my cutting, and leave the strong of the blade from the middle to the hilt "relatively" unsharpened, where I do most of my parrying or perhaps grab in half swording.I have seen in the Metropolitan Museum of Art swords of all types very sharp on both edges from tip all the way to the hilt or ricasso.

Curt Dunham
Richard Hare

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for all the comments,

Jan,
I sharpen my double-bitted axe this way, and keep one edge for good cutting, and the other edge for rough work, it makes much sense to do so.
I dont think it would affect sword handling much, to have one edge with a little secondry bevel, or more pronounced "apple-seed" finish.

I do believe I confused the issue, through using incorrect termology, so I will re-write the quote I seek comments on, and please forgive my earlier incorrect terms.

here is the quote;

"....He turned the other edge of his sword to the front, fearing that the thin side of his blade was too frail for his strength, and smote with a piercing stroke through the princes body...."

Any comments?
Thank you again,

Richard.
Dan P

PostPosted: Sun 20 Apr, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Hare wrote:
"....He turned the other edge of his sword to the front, fearing that the thin side of his blade was too frail for his strength, and smote with a piercing stroke through the princes body...."

Hard to tell without the context of that quote- is there anything that implies that the sword was actually a symmetical double-edged blade? Were the people wearing armor? Its not hard to imagine a fighter with a single-edged or false-edged blade deciding to give a smashing blow to a maille-clad foe, or that due to the chaos of the fight that he might find himself in a position where the strongest strike he had an angle to give was with the back of the blade.

Conversely, maybe the person in the quote observed, after striking down his first enemy, that the first edge was chipped or damaged, and he feared that to continue to use it would cause a break, so he decided to try the other edge. Of course that might not have been the easiest thing to see in the heat of battle, but then again an expert would be pretty good at knowing every detail of his sword.
Richard Hare

PostPosted: Mon 21 Apr, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
I'm really in the dark about context, as just short quotes are made, but as this fight was in the mid 700's most likely the sword would be the standard double -edged blade.
The only other likely type would have been a seax, but I do not recall ever hearing of the sword "skrep" (sharp) as ever being described as such.
Re. armour or maille,
It is mentioned that Offa cut his first oponent in two, and this is not likely if he had been wearing armour....Or using a seax for that matter.

Here is the quote;
" Wermund asked on what particularpart he had dealt the blow.
The retainers answered that he had gone through no one limb but the man's whole frame."

In the quote you kindly commented on, the blade must have been double-edged, as although he turned the other side forward, for fear the thin side of the blade wouldn't stand up to the anticipated blow, he still apparently cuts right through his second opponent:
In part, it reads;
"................penetrabili corporis seccione transverberat"
(p 200, footnote)

From the above, I can't help but come to the conclusion that one edge was finer then the other, but if this was the case,why is it not more widely known?

I can see that on found swords from this age that even on good examples, it would be very difficult to see now if one edge had been more keenly honed or finer than the other, as most have suffered significant corrosion, and the thin edges eaten away.
So where does this leave us?
Have we missed something here?
This is something I have not heard of before, but think it demands further investigation.

Thanks again!

Richard.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 21 Apr, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Hare wrote:
I can see that on found swords from this age that even on good examples, it would be very difficult to see now if one edge had been more keenly honed or finer than the other, as most have suffered significant corrosion, and the thin edges eaten away.

Richard,
"Significant corrosion" would do more damage to a thinner edge than the thicker one, assuming the edges are sharpened differently. Therefore, if this were done to a sword with heavy corrosion, I'd expect to see more wildly asymmetrical blades than we do.

Peirce doesn't mention it at all, nor does Oakeshott or any museum/auction catalogue that I own. This doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I think we would have heard more about it if it were popular.

Looking at your quote:

Quote:
"He turned the other edge of his sword to the front, fearing that the thin side of his blade was too frail for his strength, and smote with a piercing stroke through the princes body"

Is it possible it simply means he stabbed the opponent with the point of the blade: The side (edge) of the blade may have been too thin, so he used a "piercing stroke" (thrust/stab) with the front (tip/end) of the blade?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Greg Coffman

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 21 Apr, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Chad Arnow wrote:

Is it possible it simply means he stabbed the opponent with the point of the blade: The side (edge) of the blade may have been too thin, so he used a "piercing stroke" (thrust/stab) with the front (tip/end) of the blade?

That is how I read it. If there is a thin side and a not-thin side then that seems like a sing-edged sword. "Piercing stroke" makes perfect since as a thrust and explains why no limbs were hit. And with a single-edged sword, the point is towards the back, unsharpened edge anyways, which makes sense to describe a thrust as a strike with that edge.

Here is an example from Albion of a single-edged viking sword, their Berserkr:
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...rserkr.htm

Axes are different. They are for felling trees, not people. I don't think it makes sense to sharpen a double-edged sword in the way you are describing. When fighting with a double-edged sword, the edge you cut with is not based on the medium you are trying to cut but what strikes you can line up.

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
-Hebrews 4:12
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 21 Apr, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven H wrote:
Martin Wallgren wrote:

This is the terminology in the German/Lichtenauer tradition. In the Italian tradition it is true edge and false edge.

I've never heard anything about the swords edges being different on each side.

Cheers,
Steven

You are of course right that it is the German terminology!

I might have confused you with that second statment. What I mean is that when you strike say an oberhau with the true edge you can reach further than if you strike an Unterhau with the short edge. Due to Body mechanics. Not to how the sword is constructed.

If the sword is not held by a person there is only two identical edges on it.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in favor of Dan's interpretation--despite the blade's double-edged construction, it is by no means inconceivable that Offa had been using one edge more than the other, which I think would be quite normal in battlefield situations. This more heavily-used edge would have been sharpened more frequently, and thus its shape might have become somewhat thinned down and not as robust as the other (less frequently used) edge.

I don't know whether it would be plausible for Offa to have noticed the difference, though, especially in the heat of a life-or-death encounter, so Chad's and Greg's interpretations may be quite correct as well.
D. Nogueira

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This I'm about to write is just my humble and inexperienced oppinion, but at least speaking of the kind of swords I think we are discussing, I would favor both edges to be sharpened in the same way (And more specifically, both in a way capable of "eventually" withstanding a hit to tough materials, such as bone, wood, etc.).

I also think that if I had been an extremely successful warrior (Quite unlikely), and managed to survive many fierce combats (Even more unlikely), I guess there would have been some points in my career where one edge of my sword would have been duller, and the other one sharper, of course.
Thus, although not willingly, I might have found myself with an unevenly sharpened sword at hands.

Returning to the original question, I have never heard or read about deliberately different true or false edges... though it is an interesting question.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword edges.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic