Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Term "Tang" Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: The Term "Tang"         Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm curious about the term 'tang' and where it originated from. It certainly sounds more Eastern than European. It feels "right" amongst terms such as 'tsuba' and 'kisaki' but entirely alien when mentioned alongside "ricasso" or "quillons." Of course, today we refer to the "tang" of ANY sword (and even knives) as .. well .. "the tang" but was there another term for it?

Your thoughts?

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Term "Tang"         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
Hello,

I'm curious about the term 'tang' and where it originated from. It certainly sounds more Eastern than European. It feels "right" amongst terms such as 'tsuba' and 'kisaki' but entirely alien when mentioned alongside "ricasso" or "quillons." Of course, today we refer to the "tang" of ANY sword (and even knives) as .. well .. "the tang" but was there another term for it?

Your thoughts?

Websters suggests Scandinavian origin (cf the Icelandic tangi, a projecting point). They also mention tong and tongue as words with possibly similar root. Got to love dictionaries.
Geoff
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting. I was going to run it by M-W and Dictionary.com but, of course, a work order came in that NEEDED to be finished. 5 hours straight of laptop rebuilding.
The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Tang anyone?         Reply with quote

It was always my understanding that the word originated from an old European spelling of 'tongue'......possibly from early 'grip-tongue' swords and daggers. The 'tongue' was the part the grip...well...gripped. It's also a lovely breakfast beverage. Wink
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From the 1913 Webster Dictionary (online at http://humanities.uchicago.edu/orgs/ARTFL/for...form.html)

Tang [Probably of Scand. origin; cf. Icel. tangi a projecting point; akin to E. tongs. See Tongs.] A projecting part of an object by means of which it is secured to a handle, or to some other part; anything resembling a tongue in form or position. Specifically: -- (a) The part of a knife, fork, file, or other small instrument, which is inserted into the handle. (b) The projecting part of the breech of a musket barrel, by which the barrel is secured to the stock. (c) The part of a sword blade to which the handle is fastened. (d) The tongue of a buckle. [Prov. Eng.]

Tongs (?), n. pl. [OE. tonge, tange, AS. tange; akin to D. tang, G. zanga, OHG. zanga, Don. tang, Sw. tng, Icel. tng, Gr. to bite, Skr. da, da. &root;59. Cf. Tang a strong taste, anything projecting.] An instrument, usually of metal, consisting of two parts, or long shafts, jointed together at or near one end, or united by an elastic bow, used for handling things, especially hot coals or metals; -- often called a pair of tongs.

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Term "Tang"
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic