myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords You'd Take Into Battle Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I almost forgot one of the best arguments for a short infantry sword/falchion/cutlass, etc...environment. Are you more likely to be fighting in an open field or in the aisle of a supermarket as you and your opponent simultaneously grab for the last packet of Ramen Noodles? What about in your living room? Southern pine forrest? Office building? Would you still want that bastard sword, viking sword or polearm? Hmm...a gladius might be a better all-around choice than even a hanger.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I Hmm...a gladius might be a better all-around choice than even a hanger.

Or a nice D-guard Bowie

Attachment: 22.6 KB
Massie bowiej.jpg
Al Massie d-guard bowie
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.L. Weeks, 16th Alabama Infantry, is right there with you, Roger.
(image from http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/18...hotos.htm)

Attachment: 8.83 KB
JLWeeks1.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Tue 30 Mar, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I ran out of ammunition (which is unlikely, but this entire scenario is theoretical so lets say I did) I would have to fall back on my ATrim Ranger. This is the only sword I currently own that I would feel comfortable going head to head with a zombie. Although I really can't think of one I would rather have. It may be a 1.5 hander, but it works equally well with only one or two. And it cuts like no other(ok so others cut just as well, but work with me here). I think it would be enough to make any drooling zombie blink at least once.

And if that didn't work I could always run the other direction. Zombies never struck me as being very fast. Cool
Matt Shields

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I'd say I'd go with what I'm most learned in. Probably something along the lines of the Albion Next Gen Baron. Actually, to be honest, I'd really take it just because of how badass it is.
But since right now all I own is the Last Legend Ranger (ugg... pitiful, I know,) I'd probably take the sharpened stick lying on my patio.
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

armor:
Kevlar vest
gamebeson
modern infantry helmet

Weapons:
AT1562, Lady Carmen (as I know what she's capable of.)
Ka-bar tactical fighting knife

Then anything and everything from Craig Johnson and the team at A&A I can find.
Hopefully I can find a Durer Bastard sword, and a 15th century two hander. Big Grin
Same goes for Albion and ATrims. Just remembered I forgot Vince Evans.

Last edited by Ryan A. C. on Thu 01 Apr, 2004 7:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 01 Apr, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hypothetically...can I take more than one sword? WTF?!
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would take a Schiavona with a heavy basket and a cut and thrust blade. That way I could cut or thrust at arms length and box up close.

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Andy Fritz

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Corbin wrote:

And if that didn't work I could always run the other direction. Zombies never struck me as being very fast. Cool

That would be the "old" zombies. The new breed ala 28 days later and the dawn of the dead remake, they move very fast, which is why I would only have a gun as a back up. If a hand gun or rifle is the primary weapon, eventually you'll have to reload and in a rushed situation, I would'nt want to be fumbling with ammo clips, I would rather just swing away with the blade. That's for the zombie scenario of course, the mad max type scenario I'd definately want fire power.

As for weapons of choice, all my collection boasts of is a windlass Irish hand and a half and a scottish dagger. It's a good sword, so I would trust it, same with the dagger, but of course I would love to have the scottish single hand from phoenix metal creations, too. As for long range I'm pretty efficient with my 45 lb rucurve, and making more arrows wouldn't be as complicated as making more bullets.

To echo a previous post, armour would also be high on my priority list, some good rivited maile, gambeson, brigadine and plate would make me feel a lot better about the situation.
Joe Carr

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

give me a sword cane, and ill go make friends with my enemies. keep your friends close, enemies closer and all that.....sharp wits are the only way to beat a sharper blade. and for those with the firearms...................you cant shoot what you cant see.
From the unreal,
lead me to the real,
From the darkness,
lead me to the light,
From death,
lead me to immortality.........
Robert W. Betten

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well since i'd want something that couldnt break easily...I'd want a howard clark L6 katana in Nagamaki Zukuri style. blade length 29.5" and tsuka length 14" Cool. saya custom made to have a steel outside and wooden core like the gunto saya (purely to prevent saya damage common of plain wooden saya).
*!*
"If the people we love are taken from us,
the way they live on is to never stop loving
them. Buildings burn, people die, but real
love is forever."
- Sarah 'The Crow'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There have been some really great replies to this 'scenario'... thanks for sharing your thoughts Happy

And yes, you can hypothetically take more than one sword/gun/whatever. Wink

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
David Keith Hagler

PostPosted: Tue 13 Apr, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would take a broad blade schiavona.
Hands down.
Of course, a thorpe-type falchion would also be the ticket, however the tendency to slip from the hand.
Any broad cutting sword would do, but a must would be to have support for the pinky finger of the sword hand or index finger of the off-hand, when in actual killing mode.
Point work would be a given to me anyway, as most all swords despite style can puncture.
But I've never seen a rapier being mentioned as a premier head remover.hehe
Just my two cents.

"I shall never be fool enough to turn knight errant. For I see quite well that
it's not the fashion now to do as they did in the olden days when they say
those famous knights roamed the world."
Scott H.

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As I have but a meager collection, consisting of a Cutlery World Longsword, a Cutlery World Short Sword, a couple of OLD epees (blunted), a pair of Indian decorative Scimitars(?), and lastly a poor reproduction of Sting Laughing Out Loud , I would probably grab them all and use them as armor, strapping them to all parts of my body. But I'd have to use something, so....
The scimitars would be my first choice I think,but they'd most likely break in their first testing. The Sting sword is my next choice.
But I think I'd need to make some weapons from the garage...

My best bet is probably to lay low and hook up with some of you guys. : )
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 May, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, now this is fun. Outfit for pure combat worthiness:

For a personal sidearm, an H. Clark L6 bainite katana - 32" blade, 11-12" tsuka (handle), saya (scabbard) with long kojiri and semegane in tachi/handachi style (metal chapes and rings and such, for reinforcement).

For a backup weapon - H. Clark L6 bainite naginata-naoshi wakizashi - 20-22" blade, possibly naginata-naoishi.

As a primary weapon - H. Clark L6 bainite naginata, with modern materials for the mounting and a long wicked blade.

From an armament standpoint, the naginata would render me extremely effective against unarmored opponents on foot, with a long katana ready for deployment just in case. And for emergencies and tighter confines, a wak of those dimensions and blade type would still do some major damage. And of course, none of my weapons would be in danger of failing even under extreme stress.
Mike Ekelmann

PostPosted: Mon 17 May, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK, since we can have guns, an M-14 rifle for range and 12 gauge with a 10 inch barrel for the "oh s**t" moment when the zombie pops up 12 feet away.
For the cold steel, I'd go with weapons that suit my style of swordplay, a two handed Swiss sabre for when there's room for manuver and a good hanger for when things get close. Since I have neither and I was stuck with what I own.....My Atlanta Cutlery "dragon" sword. I bought it back in 93-94, it's a 32 inch broadsword, crosshilted, holds an nice edge, will take out saplings, pork roasts and carpet tubes with equal aplomb. Nice teak handle and scabbard, Phillipene made I think. A bit tip heavy, but does have an awesome tip cut. For close work, my 10 inch chef's knife.
Cheers,
Michael

"When real men fight, they do so with swords, so they may look each other in the eye." Sean Connery in The Wind and the Lion.
Adam R

PostPosted: Tue 18 May, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This takes me back to my youth playing FGUs 'Aftermath' Big Grin

Have to have an AK47, for it's rugged build and the huge numbers of spares on the planet.

As for the hand to hand, gotta take my soon to arrive pollaxe (5", 4 pronged maille and 6" bec de faucon) and my old White Rose single handed sword, she has a 24" balde and beutifull balance, just ideal for getting stuck in close in Zombie hand to hand or living adversaries, whether in groups or individually. Cool

Adam Roylance
KDF Nottingham
www.nottinghamsword.co.uk
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: re: what weapon i would take in battle         Reply with quote

i would choose my Degesse sword and a round shield. The sword is only 35 inches long but the blade is just under 3 innces at the gaurd and come to a fine point like a long triangle. The sword is fast given it weight because of the tapering and yet heavy enough t otake a limb off. The best feature is its fine point for quick kills. Combined with a shield this is the best combination i feel even against pole arms. you can see at this link:

http://www.swordsdirect.com/battle-ready-swords.html

very nice price for a battle ready sword $130

I'm not too picky on sheilds. Sheild should not be same weight as sword for balance. You can make yourself from wood.
Harold R.

PostPosted: Wed 08 Mar, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Carr wrote:
... and for those with the firearms...................you cant shoot what you cant see.

Well...
If you have something firing 7.62 NATO and know which car the bad guy is hiding behind....
You could make life very unpleasant for him.

As for swords, I don't know yet. Still researching, asking questions, using the search function, and trying to figure out just what the hell I want the sword to do. I am thinking that I want something with just a little more than a single hand sword length blade but with a little more handle. Something that just barely qualifies as a hand-and-a-half length.

For now its the FAL and all the 20 rounders I can carry, the SIG with all my spare mags for it, my Becker BK7 and my best pair of boots. That should get me at least halfway through a zombie movie.
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Mar, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well since I'm just facing a few zombies at a time and not an organized army, i would have to say I would rely on a nice stout 6' quarterstaff. Of course for the close combat for ramen noodles I would trust my steel buckler and sgian dubh- yeah it's small but it's fast. I want something small and fast when a zombie is trying to rip my face off!
-james

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords You'd Take Into Battle
Page 3 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: