Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > About WW II Japanese Officer Shin Gunto... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Larry Lim

Reading list: 16 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: About WW II Japanese Officer Shin Gunto...         Reply with quote

Hi,

I've this recent 'fetish' about WW II Japanese Officer Shin Gunto, particularly the Type 98 model; I came across some retailers in the Net selling what seemingly 'relic' pieces & these come in wooden scabbard, whereas I noticed Military Heritage makes replicas of them in metal scabbard...

Can someone enlighten me as to what the scabbard of the original Shin Gunto was like? I wish to know so that I may purchase the rightful one.

Any info is welcome Happy Many thanks~
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

Unfortunately I myself know little about gunto. I do not know to what extent you are familiar with some of the resources available on them, however, so I will mention a couple in passing.

A quick Google search brought up this page, which I had seen before but forgotten about, and which includes a Type 98. I don't really know much about this site but it looks decent enough - much is still in Japanese only however. The translated English text says something about Type 98 mounts where "the scabbard changed with iron, aluminum, and a leather cover wooden scabbard," but it is not clear exactly what the sentence means in context - go draw your own conclusions. Wink

Dr. Rich Stein's always-useful Japanese Sword Guide has some words on shin-gunto in general here, in which it appears that certain types have wooden or metal saya (though specific numbered types are not mentioned). John Yumoto's book The Samurai Sword: A Handbook (see bottom of page) mentions that they have leather-covered brown metal scabbards. Again this is a bit too general to be of real use.

Among the standard reference works on the subject (see again Dr. Stein's book list, the WWII section midway down the page) is Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks by Richard Fuller and Ron Gregory. This book is supposed to be the go-to text, but is not the easiest or cheapest to find. Military Swords of Japan by the same authors might be a good alternative; it is currently available from Satcho at least.

I hope that gives you at least one new starting point for your research. If not, you can always cross-post in the Nihonto Message Board. I'd do a search there now myself, but it's late already.

Cheers,
-GLL

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Apr, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

The shin-gunto pattern is, if I recall correctly, the 1937 pattern. This is the usual variant encountered. These have steel scabbards, or, but much more rarely, an aluminium scabbard. These are often encountered with the leather combat covers. Very late examples of this pattern have been seen with wooden scabbards, but theses are unusual, and it is possible that many of these were 'tourist' pieces made after the war to satisfy the demand for returning GI's to take home a samurai sword. Some of these were made in India, even then!
The kyu- gunto pattern is much earlier, dating to the turn of the century. This is the pattern with the long thin knuckle bow. These have steel scabbards and may be encountered with leather combat covers on the scabbards as well.
Often when an old sword was taken into combat the wooden saya was retained, but with the kurigata usually removed, and the whole scabbard was covered with leather.
There are lots of variations, especially in the later examples, which can cause the beginner collector some problems.

It is some years since I collected Nihon-To, but I have always kept my love and interest for these fabulous swords, so if I can help in any further way, just drop me a line. Happy

Regards,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course Larry, if you're really worried about buying the "correct" item, you could just acquire an original. Wink
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Shin Guntp         Reply with quote

Hi Gabriel , Russ..

Thank you very much for pointing me to those online articles... I shall take time to scrutinize them Big Grin

The reason for this discussion is I'm looking to purchase a replica/'antique' shin gunto. Looks like I'm gonna put the idea on hold as long as I have not finished those articles...

Thank you both, once again..

Larry
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Gunto Original         Reply with quote

Wow Gabriel... that's an eye-opener! Very tempting indeed...

Many thanks~

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
Of course Larry, if you're really worried about buying the "correct" item, you could just acquire an original. Wink
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:

Quote:
Of course Larry, if you're really worried about buying the "correct" item, you could just acquire an original.

Here, here!! Big Grin

Try:

www.michaeldlong.com

He usually has a reasonable selection of shin- gunto katanas for sale, at very reasonable prices.

Or if you are after a replica, then World wide Arms in Birmingham ,England , had a very good replica Shin-gunto. They also had the NCO's pattern with the cast alloy grip for sale too. Sorry, I am not sure of their website address.

Gabriel,

This sounds interesting, so as soon as I have a moment I will read those articles too! Happy Though I have had several traditional katanas , wakizashi and tanto, it was the shin- gunto that appealed to me. Because ,to me , it is the blade that is all important, and the subject of Japanese sword fittings is such an immense subject in itself. I think that is the same reason that Ron Gregory changed from 'Samurai swords' to military ones. It is also interesting to have a WW2 sword with an old blade, to think that something several hundred years old was still carried relatively recently.

Regards,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 11 Apr, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Thomas wrote:
...I think that is the same reason that Ron Gregory changed from 'Samurai swords' to military ones. It is also interesting to have a WW2 sword with an old blade, to think that something several hundred years old was still carried relatively recently.

Hi Russ. I don't know what motivated R.G. (or R.F. for that matter) to focus on showato, but I always liked to imagine that it was because of a perceived gap in knowledge and an academic spirit to address that gap. When I say that the RF/RG book (the rarer and more expensive of the two) is "the go-to text" for this subject, I mean that it is supposed to supersede any Japanese-language information on the same topic. Not fitting the rubric of traditional blades, these swords are now illegal in Japan; this has resulted in the twin ironies of historic memorabilia being destroyed in their country of origin and of information on them being best sought in foreign nations like the UK and USA.

Thanks for your help in this thread by the way. As I mentioned, gunto have never fallen under my interest, so it is appreciated.

Larry, there are (as I am sure you know) a number of good ways to find genuine gunto; not just on various websites but also several firearms / WWII / Japanese sword shows. Good luck with your search and be sure to post pictures of anything you pick up. Happy

________
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Russ,

Michaedlong's items will be way beyond what my pockets can afford, I'm afraid... but thanks for the info., I shall pop in there to satisfy my curiousity Razz

Gabriel,

No worries.. I'll keep you posted once I manage to lay my hands on some guntos; till date, the ones @ Military Heritage seem most attractive & affordable to me....
Larry Lim

PostPosted: Sat 12 Apr, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Thomas wrote:
.......World wide Arms in Birmingham ,England , had a very good replica Shin-gunto. They also had the NCO's pattern with the cast alloy grip for sale too. Sorry, I am not sure of their website address.

Russ

Hey Russ,

Did a google search & manage to find their homepage address HERE.. I'd pop in to check it out... did not find any shin gunto but found many other interesting items instead Happy
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 14 Apr, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

FYI this thread convinced me to go get J. Dawson's recently updated Swords of Imperial Japan: 1868-1945, Cyclopedia edition. I come across gunto queries often enough that I figured I ought to at least know the basics even if my principal interest is traditional nihonto.
________

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > About WW II Japanese Officer Shin Gunto...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic