Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cutting test, Atrim Legacy line XIIIa Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

With test cutting the priority becomes cutting efficiency& power while in combat a lesser cut that is sufficient to do the job but gets there first, in the safest way possible, becomes the priority.

I agree with this 100%. If a blow does not get there no matter how powerful, it doesn't matter. I have fought in this style for years and I have been very successful at it.

I also have to agree. When cutting tatami mats for the first time, my one and only concern was cutting through. It was not until late in the session when I gained confidence that I could cut the mats that I started thinking about cutting in good form. When fighting my primary concern from the onset is staying alive. I expect that 90% of my shots will be blocked or avoided. If I make contact and it is not sufficient I can always make a follow up strike.

I think mat cutting is a fun and useful exercise that can give a person some insight, but I don't think that a great cutter is necessarily a good fighter. Likewise a good fighter can be a terrible cutter. There are a lot of other variables involved. The truth is that unless you miss altogether or catch the fleshy part of someones throat, you are never going to cut through someone. Your sword will likely stop when it either binds their sword or hits their body, shield or armor. Glancing shots are the same as missed or avoided shots.

Here is an example of two videos of me taken one day apart. In the first I am cutting tatami in the second I am actually fighting another person. My use of the sword is entirely different.

Cutting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYu6fTUHBqM

Fighting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UvPHexhozc

My experience with a two-handed sword is very limited. I fight primarily sword and shield.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
The truth is that unless you miss altogether or catch the fleshy part of someones throat, you are never going to cut through someone. Your sword will likely stop when it either binds their sword or hits their body, shield or armor. Glancing shots are the same as missed or avoided shots.

Vassilis

It is extremely unlikely that any of us will ever have to defend our lives with swords. However, in order to truly recreate these lost fighting arts then we need to be honest with ourselves and acknowledge that our interpretations and training must reflect the needs and goals that motivate our historical ancestors to create these arts. We must recreate these lost arts as a true fighting art, if not then we have not come close to recreating anything. When fighting for your life with a sword the goal is clearly to cut through the other person's body! Your goal is the kill that person in the quickest and most violent manner possible. In such a situation one cannot think about "what is a sufficient cut".

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like at this time to mention that the entry cut...the one supposed to be done in true times...is not the only cut that matters...in fact it matters less, because it is not very likely to succeed. What it does is safely gets you into the bind, in the vor, where the real action begins.

Once in krieg, true times are irrelevant, and cuts do have to be powerful. Your targets are often not on the head, but on areas of the body which would have, historically speaking, been protected by multiple layers of wool. Although you can still strike the relatively unprotected head (ever seen some of those hats they wore??), you should not count on it and need to develop technique powerful enough to do the trick.

In Krieg, it's all time of the hand, but the sword is not often positioned optimally, so things like cocking back, bringing it around, etc. are often required. A good example is abnemen (taking off)...you are displaced with strength, your opponent overcommits...so you bring your sword up over his and strike his head....a form of cocking back. EDIT: That is not to say that economy of motion is not paramount....but it has to be balanced with the power required to get the job done.

I had a mental disconnect during this cutting session and forgot that very thing...what I should have done is either launched a true time cut without expectation of severing and then followed it up with a real cut to sever the mat, or started in langenort with the right foot forward, such as you would be after launching an oberhau in true times.

This should be the focus of test cutting, not the entry cut. I think you can count the number of people in HEMA who can sever a double mat in true times on the fingers of your hand, so the average practicioner shouldn't count on it.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/

Last edited by Michael Edelson on Fri 18 Apr, 2008 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Pleasant wrote:
Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
The truth is that unless you miss altogether or catch the fleshy part of someones throat, you are never going to cut through someone. Your sword will likely stop when it either binds their sword or hits their body, shield or armor. Glancing shots are the same as missed or avoided shots.

Vassilis

It is extremely unlikely that any of us will ever have to defend our lives with swords. However, in order to truly recreate these lost fighting arts then we need to be honest with ourselves and acknowledge that our interpretations and training must reflect the needs and goals that motivate our historical ancestors to create these arts. We must recreate these lost arts as a true fighting art, if not then we have not come close to recreating anything. When fighting for your life with a sword the goal is clearly to cut through the other person's body! Your goal is the kill that person in the quickest and most violent manner possible. In such a situation one cannot think about "what is a sufficient cut".

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW

That's correct, Randall, but it must also be a controlled cut. What we know is that the masters seem to have believed that in unarmoured combat a half-cut - a blow from vom Tag to Langenort or posta di donna to posta longa, was sufficient to get the job done. Look at the plays Zornhau, Zwerchau, Schitelhau, Schielhau, et - none of them are full cuts (ie: passing from a high guard to a low), and they follow Viggiani's advice that half-cuts are faster and sufficient to get the job done.

Of course, the best tactical option is a combination of blows, not relying on a single strike. Don't cut and then admire your handiwork.

Full cuts are used most often as deflections of attacks and coups de gras, and as recoveries.

Having said that, Vassilis, in the test-cutting video you're over-cutting - your focus point is way past the target - while in your sparring video, you aren't really cutting at all. You're striking in short, percussive raps, which works well with a rattan stick, but doesn't cut well with a sword. Also note the change in your guard choice to fighting basically from a "posta breve" (Japanese chudan no kamae), which, while popular in SCA and kendo circles, because of its ability to quickly move everywhere isn't really advocated by the historical masters as a cutting guard at all.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed Greg - and if you can do a half-cut with enough power to cut a double mat, you're surely doing fine. Although, I think a Zornhau struck in the Vor might be a full cut, depending.

But even if your intent is to perform a full cut, if you hit someone in the head, it's not going to follow through all the way down - cleaving cleanly through someone's head is not very likely, after all. Instead the sword is likely to stop in a very gory, messy version of Langenort.

Should a Zornhau used as an attack be practiced as a full cut? I'm inclined to think so, but would be interested to hear your view on that.

Best,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think you're right, the Zornhau, used in the Vor *can* be a full cut, but I also think the only danger here is that this mean if you miss you're going to recover to Wechsel/Nebenhut and play up from there. The reason I mention this is that if he binds, you seem to be setting yourself up for the "buffalo/colpo di villano".

I certainly advocate full cuts, in their time and place. They work brilliantly when you are stepping offline and counterattacking, when you are in a low guard, or when you want to break an attack and bear it to the ground. I just think that we have two extremes with modern swordman - tapping and batting for the fences. The latter is what we usually see people do when they test-cut - too much tension, too much force, and no sense of focus. If you cut to langenort you are focusing half-way through a head-sized target. Sadly for said target, you'll make contact about four inches sooner. The sword does the rest.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with all of that.

The reason I mentioned the full cut for the Zornhau is Meyer's cutting diagram, and his discussion of the guard that the blow goes through. But then, he isn't going to poke your eye out from the bind!

Best,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, and of course, Meyer is discussing blows and guard transitions the way the 16th century Italians do too. A "sgualembratto" follows the same blow course as the Zornhau, from a high guard on the right to a low guard on the left. The half-cut is just that - half of the blow - and manifests for a tactical reason.
Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
I think you're right, the Zornhau, used in the Vor *can* be a full cut, but I also think the only danger here is that this mean if you miss you're going to recover to Wechsel/Nebenhut and play up from there. The reason I mention this is that if he binds, you seem to be setting yourself up for the "buffalo/colpo di villano". .

You can also do a full cut to alber or even higher...close to langeort, without losing too much power. One of the things my Toyama instructor stressed is being able to stop the sword where you want it, even with a powerful blow. There are limits...you can cut full power and stop in langenort, but the focus of your power will be way over the target's head.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Greg Mele wrote:
I think you're right, the Zornhau, used in the Vor *can* be a full cut, but I also think the only danger here is that this mean if you miss you're going to recover to Wechsel/Nebenhut and play up from there. The reason I mention this is that if he binds, you seem to be setting yourself up for the "buffalo/colpo di villano". .

You can also do a full cut to alber or even higher...close to langeort, without losing too much power. One of the things my Toyama instructor stressed is being able to stop the sword where you want it, even with a powerful blow. There are limits...you can cut full power and stop in langenort, but the focus of your power will be way over the target's head.

Right...but first you have to know to focus the blow at all! Wink Now, once we get everyone doing THAT...

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild

Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Fri 18 Apr, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg Mele wrote:
Right...but first you have to know to focus the blow at all! Wink Now, once we get everyone doing THAT...

We'll all get secret decoder rings??? Happy

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Cutting test, Atrim Legacy line XIIIa
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: