Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Made a couple of axes (pics) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Made a couple of axes (pics)         Reply with quote

Made some axes for some friends of mine. Here are two of them, my friend James was kind enough to take pics as I dont have a camera. Constructive critisism is appreciated, I want to improve after all.

First one: (upside down, btw)

Second one: (also upside down, but more obviously so.) Wink

The last two photos are taken with flash, which makes the finish look rougher than it looks in real life.
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great. Nice job and the finish is nice also.
Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar,

So let me get this straight. You and your friend were just sitting around and your friend said, :Hey, Einar, make me an axe."
So you did and then just to be thorough you made another one. Laughing Out Loud

Great work! The backlit picture of the bearded axe looks like a piece of modern sculpture the first time you look at it. The lines are really nice.

Ken Speed
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks very nice...what construction method did you use?
Thanks,
Dan
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
Einar,

So let me get this straight. You and your friend were just sitting around and your friend said, :Hey, Einar, make me an axe."
So you did and then just to be thorough you made another one. Laughing Out Loud

Great work! The backlit picture of the bearded axe looks like a piece of modern sculpture the first time you look at it. The lines are really nice.

Ken Speed

Hehehe, not quite. I was in London about a month ago, and stayed with some friends of mine. They rock and were great, great hosts, so they got a little something back.

Dan Dickinson wrote:
Looks very nice...what construction method did you use?
Thanks,
Dan

Construction is very simple and ahistorical. I make the socket by bending a rectangular piece of 4-5 mm steel around a pipe or steel rod of the appropriate diameter. The blade is a bigger piece of the same thickness, cut to shape with an oxy/acetylene torch. Then both pieces are ground to match eachother, and welded together. (I know many people are sceptical to welded parts, but welds are very strong when its done right. ) Welds are ground down to be invisible. And then the real work starts which is making a nice finish. Thats the real time consuming part. Theyre not made from high carbon steel, so I havent attempted to harden the edge.

I'm a professional welder, not a smith. Use what you know, eh? Wink

Thanks for the kind words, lads.
S. Christiansen

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to say I really like the shape of the bearded axe. Great job. Happy
Regards,

Sonni
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

S. Christiansen wrote:
I have to say I really like the shape of the bearded axe. Great job. Happy

Thanks. I'm very happy with that one because I used no referance for it. I just drew the outline of the blade on a piece of 5mm sheet steel, cut it out and it turned out pretty nice.
Hanns Wiechman

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shouldn't be too hard to weld in a high carbon steel edge and then heat treat it with the torch, just need a nice big rosebud tip to get the heat up. Mild steel (or iron) body with a high carbon steel edge is very historical even if the construction method isn't. Both of the axes look great, even more so if they were tempered and sharp! Cheers,
Hanns
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hanns Wiechman wrote:
Shouldn't be too hard to weld in a high carbon steel edge and then heat treat it with the torch, just need a nice big rosebud tip to get the heat up. Mild steel (or iron) body with a high carbon steel edge is very historical even if the construction method isn't. Both of the axes look great, even more so if they were tempered and sharp! Cheers,
Hanns

Yeah I intend to try that, but i also found out that the swedish Hardox steel i used for the bearded axe might take hardening. Its very very tough, made for wear resitance and used among other things for teeth and jaws of stone crushers and the like. Going to try hardening the edge of the next one i make.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar,

So, Gee Einar, does someone have to stop by and beat you over the head with a piece of lutefisk or something to get you to see the potential here! Laughing Out Loud

explanatory note: Lutefisk is dried cod and traditional Scandinavian fare. Churches in Minnesota and the Dakotas still have Lutefisk dinners. One old timer was heard to say, "The advantage of a Lutefisk dinner is no one can tell if you've changed your socks!" What can I say, there just isn't a lot to do for fun out there.

Ken Speed
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
Einar,

So, Gee Einar, does someone have to stop by and beat you over the head with a piece of lutefisk or something to get you to see the potential here! Laughing Out Loud

explanatory note: Lutefisk is dried cod and traditional Scandinavian fare. Churches in Minnesota and the Dakotas still have Lutefisk dinners. One old timer was heard to say, "The advantage of a Lutefisk dinner is no one can tell if you've changed your socks!" What can I say, there just isn't a lot to do for fun out there.

Ken Speed

You're saying I need to make myself an axe to defend myself against the chemical warfare that is lutefisk? Gotcha.

I think I know what you're saying, and some people seem to actually be willing to pay money for these, but I need to do some thorough destructive testing before I dare to sell anything.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lutefisk makes an exeptionaly poor bludgeoning weapon, since the whole point is dissolving the fish into a nice, mushy semi-transparent substance.
For pure aromatic destructiveness it is also by far superseded by Rakfisk or Gammalost.

Of course, in more civilized parts of the country (aka where I'm from) we refrain from such doubvious, semi-decayed things, instead consuming the split and charred heads of sheep....

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Richard Hare

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar,

Lovely job on the axes. I wouldn't have known they were welded!! (Was it Lenin, who first said; "The end justifies the means!" ?

I suppose you could harden the edge with a case-hardening compound, like "kasenit"
If you bake it well into the steel, it comes our Really hard!

Best wishes,

R.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar,

Actually, I'd advocate running away!

Seriously, it certainly isn't up to me or anybody else to tell you what to do but both of those axeheads are beautiful and it sounds like you discovered a pretty efficient way to make them. Yes, I can imagine you've received a couple of inquiries about them already. I really respect your willingness to experiment and test and make sure you have a worthwhile product, some of the biggest manufacturers in the world could learn from that attitude.

If you do choose to proceed some pictures and commentary on the product development and testing process would be really interesting if you had the time and inclination. It might even be helpful for you.

I hope you choose to explore this possibility and I wish you good luck,

Ken Speed
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
Einar,

Actually, I'd advocate running away!

Seriously, it certainly isn't up to me or anybody else to tell you what to do but both of those axeheads are beautiful and it sounds like you discovered a pretty efficient way to make them. Yes, I can imagine you've received a couple of inquiries about them already. I really respect your willingness to experiment and test and make sure you have a worthwhile product, some of the biggest manufacturers in the world could learn from that attitude.

If you do choose to proceed some pictures and commentary on the product development and testing process would be really interesting if you had the time and inclination. It might even be helpful for you.

I hope you choose to explore this possibility and I wish you good luck,

Ken Speed

Thanks a lot for the kind words, Ken. I plan to make a couple of very rough unfinished ones, which wont take nearly as long as a finished product, and then hitting gradually harder stuff until failure. And yes, I will be wearing protective gear, face shield and the works.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Elling,

You wrote, "Lutefisk makes an exeptionaly poor bludgeoning weapon, since the whole point is dissolving the fish into a nice, mushy semi-transparent substance."

Wait! You mean....GASP!! People CHOOSE to eat lutefisk? Voluntarily? I thought it was atonement for settling in a part of the U.S. where the climate is so brutal. UMMM, OK, I guess us Scandinavians are even crazier than I thought!

"For pure aromatic destructiveness it is also by far superseded by Rakfisk or Gammalost."

Elling, you're going to tell me what these things are, aren't you? I just know you are! EEK!

"Of course, in more civilized parts of the country (aka where I'm from) we refrain from such doubvious, semi-decayed things, instead consuming the split and charred heads of sheep...."

Man, I have to tell you, my son had a roommate from Japan when he was in college. They became great friends and I really liked the kid too but one time he brought a can of some kind of fermented beans over to our house. Whatever that was when he opened that can the smell drove me from the room. I think our dog went and hid in one of the bedrooms. I had to open windows and I'd have thrown the boy out of the house except I was afraid we'd spill the can in the tussle. None of us even tried to taste it, I don't even think the Japanese kid ate any. That stuff was just WRONG!! If I had to choose between eating sheep's head for breakfast or even smelling that bean stuff it wouldn't even be a contest!

Oh darn, did I get a little off-topic here? Oh Heck!

Ken Speed
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A bit OT yeah, but I dont mind. Big Grin many people do indeed eat lutefisk, and claim to like it. My parents for example. I cant stand it.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Einar Drønnesund wrote:
A bit OT yeah, but I dont mind. Big Grin many people do indeed eat lutefisk, and claim to like it. My parents for example. I cant stand it.

Great looking axes by the way and the welds are not visible and the curves in the socket don't hint at any crude bending. Cool

I do have a cheap India made Great axe that used to be sold by Albion that is obviously bent and doesn't blend into the blade smoothly. It sort of takes a sudden bend into the flat plate of the axe blade. The edge does has a thicker reinforced edge though.

In any case your axes don't have this kind of visual flaws.

Oh, and how about " stinky " cheeses ! In Québec we have OKA cheese named after a local Trapiste Monastery where it is or was made by Monks: Very nice to eat but smeels like socks worn every day for weeks. Eek! Razz Laughing Out Loud

Just feeling left out in all the stinky food discussion. Wink Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are axes a common 'thank-you' gift to your hosts? Laughing Out Loud

The axes look good; nice job Happy

www.addisondelisle.com
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Einar Drønnesund wrote:

Great looking axes by the way and the welds are not visible and the curves in the socket don't hint at any crude bending. Cool

I do have a cheap India made Great axe that used to be sold by Albion that is obviously bent and doesn't blend into the blade smoothly. It sort of takes a sudden bend into the flat plate of the axe blade. The edge does has a thicker reinforced edge though.

In any case your axes don't have this kind of visual flaws.

Oh, and how about " stinky " cheeses ! In Québec we have OKA cheese named after a local Trapiste Monastery where it is or was made by Monks: Very nice to eat but smeels like socks worn every day for weeks. Eek! Razz Laughing Out Loud

Just feeling left out in all the stinky food discussion. Wink Big Grin

Thanks, Jean.

My bearded axe does have a bit of an angular transition from socket to blade, but on the other one, the transition is pretty smooth. My axes doesnt have the reinforced edge. In originals i believe that comes from sandwiching the edge steel. Mine doesnt have that. I may try to weld a thicker piece of carbon steel to the edge though to get that reinforced edge.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Made a couple of axes (pics)
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: