Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Vendelperiod Clothing and armour Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next 
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Composite buckle         Reply with quote

Similar to the Merovingian buckle found in St. Denis grave 50. Riveted directly to the belt. Loop and pin would have moved. 5.3cm

Attachment: 28.18 KB
visigothic buckle.jpg

Attachment: 26.49 KB
visigothic buckle a.jpg

Gaukler Medieval Wares
http://www.medievalwares.com
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Frankish Buckle         Reply with quote

Extremely nice Frankish buckle, imitating a Byzantine style. All of the parts still move freely. 6.9cm.

Attachment: 15.2 KB
5355.jpg

Attachment: 14.68 KB
5355a.jpg

Gaukler Medieval Wares
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Composite buckle         Reply with quote

Mark Shier wrote:
Similar to the Merovingian buckle found in St. Denis grave 50. Riveted directly to the belt. Loop and pin would have moved. 5.3cm
Mark, this is absolutely the information that I was after! Thank you for this image. It really shows the construction well.
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: buckle owners         Reply with quote

Check the grave reports before making and wearing these buckles. Many of the more impressive types seem to have been worn by women.
mark

Gaukler Medieval Wares
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark, could you show me an example of a buckle like the "Anglo-Saxon integral plate buckle, 6.2cm" you showed that is attached to a belt? You say that they were either stitched or wired on, but I can't visualize how this was done.
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: integral plate with lugs         Reply with quote

Here is a replica Byzantine buckle, wired on to the belt, and the antique it's based on.
I wouldn't call it stitched, but more 'wired" or "laced".
mark

Attachment: 31.71 KB
BB33a.jpg

Attachment: 29.43 KB
BB33b.jpg

Attachment: 20.92 KB
byzantine buckle a.jpg

Attachment: 19.82 KB
byzantine buckle.jpg

Gaukler Medieval Wares
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Fri 17 Dec, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: integral plate with lugs         Reply with quote

Mark Shier wrote:
Here is a replica Byzantine buckle, wired on to the belt, and the antique it's based on.
I wouldn't call it stitched, but more 'wired" or "laced".
mark
Thanks so much Mark! Makes complete sense now. I was lost without you, haha.
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Sat 18 Dec, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One last question Mark, do buckles that have round rivets (like these: http://www.museedestempsbarbares.fr/fr/fetes-...and/26.jpg, http://www.museedestempsbarbares.fr/fr/fetes-...and/24.jpg) have a back plate? Or are the rivets similar in construction to the ones you've shown that use wires?

I read a reference on (http://www.die-bajuwaren.de/Wir_ueber_uns_frame.htm) that states one of their buckles has a rectangular back plate. I was wondering if you had any info on these. Thanks again.
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 18 Dec, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: buckles         Reply with quote

I don't know about backplates, except for the Sutton Hoo buckle..
Do you mean the large domes? They may be associated with lugs (rivet really is a misnomer).The Sutton Hoo gold buckle has three domes on the front which are soldered to pierced lugs that engage with sliding catches on the hinged back plate.
Here is an incomplete Merovingian buckleplate (probably for a woman's buckle) with a dome and lug, but they are separate. The lug has been cast as part of the plate, and the dome is riveted on . The rivet is just visible behind the lug in the photo of the underside of the plate.

Attachment: 31.2 KB
merovingian buckle plate.jpg

Attachment: 24.29 KB
merovingian buckle plate a.jpg

Gaukler Medieval Wares
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Sat 18 Dec, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: buckles         Reply with quote

Mark Shier wrote:
I don't know about backplates, except for the Sutton Hoo buckle..
Do you mean the large domes? They may be associated with lugs (rivet really is a misnomer).The Sutton Hoo gold buckle has three domes on the front which are soldered to pierced lugs that engage with sliding catches on the hinged back plate.
Here is an incomplete Merovingian buckleplate (probably for a woman's buckle) with a dome and lug, but they are separate. The lug has been cast as part of the plate, and the dome is riveted on . The rivet is just visible behind the lug in the photo of the underside of the plate.
Thanks Mark! You've helped me out a lot with this. I noticed the Saxon buckle on your site, and I quite like it. I may be purchasing one soon. Thanks again for your help (and no more questions this time, I promise Laughing Out Loud )
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 18 Dec, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: buckles         Reply with quote

Questions are fine! I'm a buckle geek:) We should probably start a new, thread, though.
mark

Gaukler Medieval Wares
Peter O Zwart

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there any evidence for what was used to hold the leather strap onto the lugs? In the picture you used a wire, would that wire be fastened under the belt to the buckle?
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 20 Dec, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: buckle fasterns         Reply with quote

I've seen no surviving wires, so I suspect that cord, heavy thread, or sinew was used. I used wire because I'm a metalworker, and find sewing to be dangerous:) The wire was handy- I would have had to search for thread or string.
mark

Gaukler Medieval Wares
Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jan, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: footware         Reply with quote

gday guys,

i have a fair bit of info on the Vendel period but one thing i havent seen a lot of is the footware

can someone point me to the right direction or show me some footware of the period.

my kit is based on the Vendel and Valsgarde finds in sweden so if it is from those areas its even better

cheers
Mick
Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

just giving this one a bump for attention Big Grin
Norman Stiteler

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jan, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This morning I sat down to quickly research the different helms available on the market and was captured by this discussion. The work presented is beautiful, but even better (to me) is the scholarship and efforts being taken to ensure that things just make sense from a real-world perspective.

For example, I believed that the crest on a helmet was purely decorative, but now I know that it also served a real world purpose, to protect the head from specific types of weapons. Great work!

Where is the horse gone? Where the rider?
Where the giver of treasure?
Where are the seats at the feast?
Where are the revels in the hall?
Alas for the bright cup!
Alas for the mailed warrior!
Norman Stiteler

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I am beginning to settle on the helmet I am looking for. While I like the Coppergate Helmet, but it seems a bit over the top and Sutton Ho is clearly the helmet of a king. Wollaston is plain and functional, yet certainly more at the same time.

Does anyone know of a fairly accurate and solid commercially available reproduction available in the states of the Wollaston Helmet (see attached)?

If not, does anyone know of an armorer who might be able to craft one at a cost that is relatively affordable (understanding you get what you pay for)?

Attachment: 65.77 KB
original Wollaston boarhelmet.JPG

Where is the horse gone? Where the rider?
Where the giver of treasure?
Where are the seats at the feast?
Where are the revels in the hall?
Alas for the bright cup!
Alas for the mailed warrior!
R Lister

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://heronarmoury.co.uk/helmet7.htm

any good?
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jan, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manning Imperial makes a variation on that helmet. They're not in the USA and I wouldn't really call them "cheap" but the price isn't too high either. Not sure how long it would take for them to make one, but it probably wouldn't hurt to contact.

http://www.manningimperial.com/item.php?item_...mp;c_id=28

The one from Heron Armory is very nice too Big Grin , but again not in the USA and not sure of price.

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Mick Jarvis

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jan, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

no one has any idea about footware of this period?

ok going to have to go and hit some very old books of a mate then

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Vendelperiod Clothing and armour
Page 12 of 15 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: