Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Brigandine- Some quesitons Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Brigandine- Some quesitons         Reply with quote

Does anyone here know either:

1) How much a brigandine cuirass would weight
2) Was it flexible? Namely, could I bend against it like I would against mail? Or would it be rigid like plate?
3) Who makes it now?
4) How effective was it against thrust/cut, arrows, lance, etc.
5) How much would it have cost at the time.

Thank you very much.

E Pluribus Unum
Steven H

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brigandine- Some quesitons         Reply with quote

Michael Curl wrote:
Does anyone here know either:

1) How much a brigandine cuirass would weight
2) Was it flexible? Namely, could I bend against it like I would against mail? Or would it be rigid like plate?
3) Who makes it now?
4) How effective was it against thrust/cut, arrows, lance, etc.
5) How much would it have cost at the time.

Thank you very much.

1) I don't know on that but I'm sure that others will provide that info.
2) Flexible. Pretty much the only reason for wearing it. In it's period breastplates were generally cheaper and better armour.
3) I hear good things about Steel Mastery
4) Good enough to be used as stand alone armour. Good enough to be used by people who could afford armour impervious to those weapons. Good enough to be used for hundreds of years during which a large number of notable improvements were made in armour. (It's a safe bet that the answer to the question, "was x armour good?" is "yes."
5) Again, I know people here will know that but I don't

Glad to help.

-Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You may want to check out this thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6733
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 31 Mar, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HI,

There was a thread recently that will also cover many aspects of this.

Weight - mine is a White Rose Apparel one and is in the the attic so I can't answer without some investigation, but heavier than a breast and back.

Flexible - mail is a cloth and so moves freely in any direction, a brig is made to flex a lot at the waist and a bit through the torso, pretty much like you do, so it is not nearly as flexible as mail, but moves where it needs to.

White Rose in the UK make very nice ones of many styles

Generally very effective, the plates are well fixed and tight so a stray thrust or shot is very unlikely to get through and because they are layered a direct thrust or shot has quite a bit of steel to go through. The semi ridgid construction also means it is effective at absobing energy so I suspect better than a single sheet of back or breast, but it is heavier and has some weak points.

Cost - smaller pieces of metal are cheaper than bigger, any scraps can be used for a brig as the sheets are quite small. so realtive to a back or breast the skill level requiired for fabrication is lower so the cost is lower, but it still has a quantity of metal in it so they would never be cheap. For a definitive answer I don't know, but wage rates changed little from the mid 15th to the mid 16th and a coat of plates (plated Jack) of 16th C construction which is in many ways similar, cost in the order of 16 shillings. Can't remember the reference but it has been lodged in my head for a long time.

I have a coat of plates shown on my site under 'armour'

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Leo, this sounds like it was just a heavier and more flexible lorica segmentata. I would guess that this is weaker than beast and back because then the knights would have been wearing this. I also saw a show on weapons that made britain where they showed that a coat of plates can resist a charge with lance much better than mail.
E Pluribus Unum
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Curl wrote:
I also saw a show on weapons that made britain where they showed that a coat of plates can resist a charge with lance much better than mail.
It gets tiring having to say the same thing o ver and over but IT DEPENDS ON THE MAIL. Some types of mail were specifically constructed to be proof against a lance thrust. Mail that was worn as a primary defense tended to be much heavier than mail that was intended to be worn under a coat of plates or a padded jack and was far more resistant to all types of attack.
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Wed 02 Apr, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How would you make mail lance proof? Would a simple 4-1 riveted do it? Or would you need a more advance pattern?
E Pluribus Unum
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 03 Apr, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,

We really do not know. All we do know as Dan was saying before is that they existed. We have inventories and chronicles with accounts recording Jousting hauberks or the like. De Joinville's Chronicle comes to mind in one section he uses a jousting hauberk to ward off an arrowstorm. AS to how they were made.... there are loads of possible manners but we cannot be sure as no record states what makes them so or any existant I know of. Perhaps thicker wire 4 in 1, perhaps normal thickness of wire but smaller links 4 in 1, perhaps 6 in 1, double layers of mail, perhaps a mixture of them, the possibilities are close to infinite. Also keep in mind because something is intended to protect you nothing is invincible, though there are plenty of accounts of such hauberks saving peoples lives.

The Weapons that Made Britain is ok but I'd not rely too much on their results. I doubt the testing of the COP was all that accurate either... plate thickness, hardness, etc. All guesswork I assume as they fail to say where the info came from.

AS far as brigs. Not all brigs are created equal. Some were light for less threatening situations while others were heavy, intended for the joust.

RPM
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Apr, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If a cote of maille is lance proofed, it must be quite heavy. The Bayeux tapestry shows many maille-clad men being pierced by the lance, and several accounts in the 11th century confirm this.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was involved in the Weapons that made Britain and from what I saw of its production values I would not use it as unbiased evidence produced by scientific rigour
www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Kelly Powell

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What say you guys....A average cop would be around 35 pounds? I think that would be about right for a middle of the road all purpose jack for a average body froame....And you would want it to be a little stiff so as to absorb impact....As for lance proof maile......The maile may not get damaged but the chances are it's still going to ruin your day with impact trauma.....stove in ribs busted sternum and internal hemorraging etc,etc......Still Better then a foot of metal tipped wood driving through you and taking shreds of your nasty, dirty flea infested clothing with it.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Apr, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kelly,

When I can find it I will post it but I have some brig weights I think around here. I think 35 pounds for a brig or COP is much, much too high. If a breastplate for the field and backplate weight between maybe 10-15ish, maybe 20 pounds, then a brig or COP would not weight in more than twice that. No promises on the brig weights as I think they were in a book I no longer have access to but I think I would have written those down. My COP made of heavy weight steel of 18, 16 and 14 gauge (breastplate is 14, lower chest lames are 16 back-top plates are 16 and lower lames are 18) weight in at 6 pounds 5 ounces for the front and 5 pounds 7 ounces the back. It is modelled after the Kussnach COP with a modified top based off one from here in Soton. It covers just a little past my naval in the front so fovers a little less area than brigs but not 2/3 more weight worth of difference.

RPM

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Brigandine- Some quesitons
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic