Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > spearpoint Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: spearpoint         Reply with quote

I need help dating/identifying this spearhead. It was found in sweden, near upplands bro, stockholm.
It was found while plowing a field, so there is nothing to date it from, also, there has been living people in that area for more than 2000 years, so...

well, heres the pics, hopefully, anything the owner can tell his future grandkids is usefull:)pics are taken with phone so sorry about quality...

[/img]
[/img]
[/img]IMG]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/snill_fyr/Bilde079.jpg[/IMG]
[img]
[/img]
[img]

theres a zippo lighter in there, for size, I didn't bring a measure device with me.. its roughly 20cm long, and at the tang it is about 12mm wide and 10mm thick. it is slightly asymetrical in the cross section, looks home made sort of, but it might be corrosion... about 5cm at the widest, and its pretty thick all the way..[/img]

just bacon...
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My vote is for a 17th c. pike head. Maybe part of a spontoon. Show somebody at a local Zeughaus or military museum.

Could be 18th or 19th century. It's the cartouche shape that leads me toward the 17th-19th c.

It looks crude, but that could be the result of corrosion. Looks like it was broken at the upper end of the socket, leaving just a shallow depression. I guess a lance or pike could take enough shock in that area to destroy a poor weld. What was the most recent warfare in the area (pre-20th c.)?

Americans used crudely forged spear heads as pikes and spontoons during the 18th c.

The blade also puts me in mind of a certain type of WWI-era trench knife, but that's very unlikely for Sweden.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yes, the tang is broken about 10-15mm from the start of the head, but its too rusty to see why. they say the last recorded battle in that area was sometime between 1560 and 1600, except from sea battles. but then again, it was the only one found there, so i doubt it was a battleground right there.. hunting spear perhaps? although, i thought they would have looked a little different?
just bacon...
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Audun,

Fancy meeting you here ! Happy

It is difficult to tell from the pictures, but I would say that it is not old. In fact I would say that it is very recent ! As you know, I live at an old disused iron mine, and we have loads of bits of iron laying around near the old forge, and much of it is in a very similar condition.
To me it looks as though it was probably forged within the last 50 - 60 years or so, it is unfinished, and then has been laying around out in the elements for some years. Just my opinion sure, but on what I can see from the photographs, that is how it looks to me.
I am no expert on these things Audun, but if you wish, drop it in the post ( registered), and I will have a look at it for you.

Sorry that this reply doesn't sound more hopeful Worried

Regards,

Russ Happy

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Audun Refsahl wrote:
hunting spear perhaps? although, i thought they would have looked a little different?

I think I have seen a boar spear of that shape, and those were used in Europe into the 19th c.

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm officially changing my vote to boar spear. Big Grin

17-18th c. examples from Hermann Historica:

Attachment: 31.86 KB
54823.jpg

Attachment: 6.65 KB
56777.jpg

Attachment: 9.32 KB
58355.jpg

Attachment: 12.96 KB
60207_b.jpg

Attachment: 6.58 KB
61514.jpg

-Sean

Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi russ, yeah, I've been lurking around here for quite some time actually, just not big on posting... the spear belongs to a new guy in our group (that probably means you'll have to make a new helmet soon..) I'll ask him if he's willing to send it away for a little trip.. Cant imagine what they'd be using spears for in sweden 50 60 years ago though? a lot of the scrap steel lying around the silver mines up here also has that same surface, and thats anything from 400 to 40 years old, mostly 100-150 i guess...

those pictures are really helpful though, theres a lot of boar in sweden and I have no problem imagining a boar breaking a spearhead with such a small tang...

thanks guys, really helpful!! (no need to stop yet though:) )

just bacon...
Russ Thomas
Industry Professional

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: spearhead.... ?         Reply with quote

Hi Audun,

No problems with making a helmet for him when the time comes ! Happy You know where I am............

It looks to me from the pictures, as though the 'spearhead' is unfinished anyway, so maybe it isn't a spearhead at all? How did it get in the field ? , who knows, I am certainly no expert, but if he wants to send it on a little 'holiday' to Telemark we can at least have a look. Other than that Anders Helseth might be the person to ask?
No doubt about the Zippo though, absolutely genuine 17th century , without a shadow of a doubt !! Laughing Out Loud Laughing Out Loud

Regards,

Russ

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero !

http://www.living-history.no
Audun Refsahl

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just talked to him about it, he seemed interested. so i guess we'll send it to you shortly, i'll send you an email or call when i know for sure...
just bacon...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > spearpoint
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic