Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new glaive Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
D. Austin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 03 Mar, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: My new glaive         Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I thought I'd share with you a few pictures of the glaive I just finished. It's loosely based on those I've seen in manuscripts such as Froissart's Chronicles. If any of you have photos of a 15th century glaive with rondel and langets, I would love to see it as I'd like to make a more accurate one but only have pics of reproductions and the aforementioned illustrations to go by. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Darren.

Attachment: 49.55 KB
Glaive 3.JPG

Attachment: 31.76 KB
Glaive 2.JPG

Attachment: 28.2 KB
Glaive 1.JPG

J. D. Carter

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wicked. What stock did you start from for the business end ? Will it be for display or will it be seeing some usage?
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice!
Got any dimensions? Blade lengt, pole length, and so on? Sharp or blunt, btw?

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice glaive. It looks like it would be a very effective weapon. Good job on it!

RPM
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh now, how fiercely beautiful that glaive is, fine construction enhanced by the long langets and thoroughly affixed rondel guard, a Big, Big CONGRATULATIONS Exclamation I have a special love for polearms, 2007 was my year for getting two very special polearms, a custom Sparth Axe and a Bec De Corbin from Arms & Armor, and like you, wow was I Excited as I am sure you must be with that especially gorgeous Glaive! I like it D. Austin, I Like it a Lot! Will you be acquiring a halberd to go with it?
J. D. is right, it's "Wicked"! For a while, the sparth axe will have to be my glaive and halberd, as I cannot afford to buy either this year, I have one, maybe two swords I want really bad this year in particular, actually there are about six that I would like, but that is just not a reality for me, nor would it be responsible! I Love nice glaives bigtime and this is one very nice glaive! I believe as I remember that Elling has quite a glaive from Peter Johnsson, maybe I could prod him to post a picture? Can I Elling?
D. Austin, I truly envy your glaive but in a good way, in a respectful manner, I like it a whole lot Exclamation

Very Cool!

Bob

It IS What It IS! Only In Truth, Can Reality Exist!
To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Oh now, how fiercely beautiful that glaive is, fine construction enhanced by the long langets and thoroughly affixed rondel guard, a Big, Big CONGRATULATIONS Exclamation I have a special love for polearms, 2007 was my year for getting two very special polearms, a custom Sparth Axe and a Bec De Corbin from Arms & Armor, and like you, wow was I Excited as I am sure you must be with that especially gorgeous Glaive! I like it D. Austin, I Like it a Lot! Will you be acquiring a halberd to go with it?
J. D. is right, it's "Wicked"! For a while, the sparth axe will have to be my glaive and halberd, as I cannot afford to buy either this year, I have one, maybe two swords I want really bad this year in particular, actually there are about six that I would like, but that is just not a reality for me, nor would it be responsible! I Love nice glaives bigtime and this is one very nice glaive! I believe as I remember that Elling has quite a glaive from Peter Johnsson, maybe I could prod him to post a picture? Can I Elling?
D. Austin, I truly envy your glaive but in a good way, in a respectful manner, I like it a whole lot Exclamation

Very Cool!

Bob

Just throw in the link to Peter J staffsword that beloged to Joachim Nilsson here... http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...staffsword

Might been this you where tinking of?!

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks good to me--like a late 15th c. vouge francais headed toward the couteau de breche form of ca. 1500. The main difference between the forms is that the VF seems to have been much thicker than the more knife-like CDB, maybe hafted shorter than the CDB and more focused on the thrust. Also, while the lower edge of the CDB is concave, forming a shallow hook, the VF tends to have a convex and upward-sloping lower edge, as you've done here.

There clearly are weapons that combine elements of both of these (modern) categories--having broad blade, convex lower edge and rondel. So, yours would have been right at home from mid-century up through the early part of the 16th. I've seen rondels on polearms in contemporary German/Austrian artwork from that later period. I'd guess that yours would look most at home ca. 1470, right around the period of those Froissart illustrations.

Here are three detailed contemporary depictions of VFs in the hands of elite guards ca. 1500. Notice especially the shape of the haft, the padding inside the rondel, the beveling of the blade (showing it's thickness), the spiked foot of the haft:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...e+francais

By coincidence, I've just dismounted my own CDB with an eye toward adding a rondel. In the spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of hafted weapons....

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some stylistic/chronological brackets. The first image is first quarter 15th c. The second image is a century later.

Attachment: 72.3 KB
kuse2.jpg

Attachment: 73.85 KB
kuse.jpg

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darren,

Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

Quote:
In the spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of hafted weapons....

Sean, you've made my day. Razz
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is our lucky day, D.! Somebody just walked into my office and handed me a copy of the very rare (and expensive) Europäische Hieb-Und Stichwaffen. I got this on interlibrary loan from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (apparently, I'm the only person ever to check out this book Big Grin ). Among its many wonderful photos are those below, with accompanying text. Enjoy!

Attachment: 48.44 KB
EHuS.jpg

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Two more:

Attachment: 74.25 KB
polearms.jpeg

Attachment: 74.09 KB
polearmscale4.jpeg

-Sean

D. Austin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I must say thanks for all the positive feedback. It’s great to hear.

J.D., the head is made from mild steel and not sharpened or heat treated although I’m guessing that the hammering has hardened it somewhat. It is just intended to be a costume piece.

Elling, the overall length is 1980mm (78”), the distance from the rondel to the tip is 600mm (24”) and the blade edge is 400mm (16”). Given the materials and the fact that it has been constructed with an arc welder, I’m not going to bother sharpening and test cutting with it but would like to make one from more appropriate materials eventually.

Bob, the halberd will be a few years away. It’s definitely on the list but there are more sharp pointy things above it on that list.

Sean, thanks a lot for the information and the pictures. That will definitely help with my next polearm project. You can’t imagine how jealous I am of your access to the Europäische Hieb-Und Stichwaffen. I must say, I was quite surprised by the thickness of some of those rondels pictured. A good half inch I’d guess. Most impressive.

Thanks guys,

Darren.
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi D,

You know, I look at that weapon and I think, "Whoever is carrying that is definitely NOT a nice man." Sort of a human can opener. Laughing Out Loud

I'm sure you know I'm kidding you a bit. It really is a nicely thought out piece and it looks lethal as Hell.

Clearly your weapon is a very close relative to the antique ones whose pictures were posted here but I have to admit that I had a different mental picture of a glaive. I don't know where it came from but I have this image of a fairly heavy wooden handle about 6' 0" long with a 2'0" or 3'0" scimitar shaped blade. Sort of a naginata for a powerlifter. Am I all wet or is there more than one kind of glaive?

Ken Speed
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
Hi D,

You know, I look at that weapon and I think, "Whoever is carrying that is definitely NOT a nice man." Sort of a human can opener. Laughing Out Loud

I'm sure you know I'm kidding you a bit. It really is a nicely thought out piece and it looks lethal as Hell.

Clearly your weapon is a very close relative to the antique ones whose pictures were posted here but I have to admit that I had a different mental picture of a glaive. I don't know where it came from but I have this image of a fairly heavy wooden handle about 6' 0" long with a 2'0" or 3'0" scimitar shaped blade. Sort of a naginata for a powerlifter. Am I all wet or is there more than one kind of glaive?

Ken Speed

Were you referring to the item in the attached pic?

Attachment: 25.64 KB
DSCN5996.JPG

Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Austin wrote:
I was quite surprised by the thickness of some of those rondels pictured. A good half inch I’d guess.

I'm pretty sure those are hollow--just inverted bowls like yours, but with the edges turned down. I think that may indicate an original mounting of thick padding of the kind shown in the vouge francais artwork.

-Sean

Ken Speed

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sa'ar

While I didn't have that particular item in mind, it is much closer to my mental image of a glaive. Its scary when you think of the force someone could generate with something like that.

Thanks ,

Ken Speed
Jesse Zinn

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
This is our lucky day, D.! Somebody just walked into my office and handed me a copy of the very rare (and expensive) Europäische Hieb-Und Stichwaffen. I got this on interlibrary loan from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (apparently, I'm the only person ever to check out this book Big Grin ). Among its many wonderful photos are those below, with accompanying text. Enjoy!

Oh, not for long, Sean! As soon as you get that back here, I'm checking it out. Don't bogart it for too long, mate! Wink
-Jess

P.S. Looks like I need to peruse UNC-CH's holdings more closely...

Jesse D. Zinn
North Carolina

“Hwæt wé Gár-Dena in geár-dagum
þéod-cyninga þrym gefrúnon,
hú ðá æþelingas ellen fremedon."
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should clarify my comments about the rondels. Although the vouge francais cited above do have pads beneath the rondels contemporary art also clearly shows that not all rondels were padded. Given the elite status of the guards in the painting and the quality of their weapons, I'd say pads probably were the exception. But for the high quality weapons shown above, they make sense. Right now I'm looking at an Urs Graf drawing of ca. 1515 that shows a halberd with a rondel much like yours, and there is no padding.
-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jesse Zinn wrote:
As soon as you get that back here, I'm checking it out. Don't bogart it for too long, mate! .

I'll start scanning or photographing it next week and get it back to its home ASAP. It's due back April 5, so I couldn't deprive you for very long anyway. Big Grin

By the way, Amazon.de (the German Amazon) has this book for ca. 34 Euro. You might have trouble buying it, though. They wouldn't ship to the U.S. a few years ago. I've had great luck with Amazon.co.uk, though, and they might have it.

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ken Speed wrote:
I had a different mental picture of a glaive. I don't know where it came from but I have this image of a fairly heavy wooden handle about 6' 0" long with a 2'0" or 3'0" scimitar shaped blade. Sort of a naginata for a powerlifter. Am I all wet or is there more than one kind of glaive?
Ken Speed

The term covers lots of forms, which is why it's best to specify--Küse, Couteau de breche, vouge francais. Those help. The weapon you describe is actually the one most commonly termed a "glaive". It is as you describe, with a broad, single-edged blade and concave back. Some have projecting spikes, as do some bills. The difference between bills and these classic glaives is tough to spot. There may, in fact, be no significant difference.

-Sean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new glaive
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: