Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Modern Almond Oil Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matt Shields

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Modern Almond Oil         Reply with quote

I am wondering if modern Almond Oil is suitable for sword care, as it was historically.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am curious about this also and I hope somebody out there notices your post. (Your post looked lonely out there with no replies so far.)

I have " Sweet Almond Oil" in my medicine cabinet that is recommended as an Emollient for chapped skin so I know were to find it. (Assuming that this is the same as what you are talking about.)

How about other natural oils like olive oil? Do natural oils have advantages over the modern alternatives?

One advantage would be with knives that would be in contact with food if the oil chosen is not toxic. (Who wants to eat gun oil! (Although this is not an issue with swords.)

Anyway welcome to this forum I am also new to it .

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I used to use olive oil and maintained an A&A Irish sword with this for four years. Olive oil is an accepted period way to maintain the steel. Recently I have switched to 3in1 I do a wipedown and reoil about once every two weeks and any time my skin touches the steel of course. The reason I switched is because though the olive oil works well in protecting your sword it seems to discolor the steel WHEN IT IS ON. Now, when you wipe it off the steel is normal but when it's applied and hung on the wall it's just not as shiny and clean looking as it is with the 3in1 or flitz metal polish. I'm thinking about trying Breakfree which many people swear by. But olive oil is cool if you want to be authentic. Happy
Jeffrey Hull

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Linseed Oil         Reply with quote

I like to use boiled linseed oil for these reasons:

It has never let me down. It dries to a thin tough sheen, with only the slightest hint of amber colouring (big deal), and moreover, I am sure that it has prevented rust both in general and on those few occasions when I should have been more careful in storing steel items.

It is a period material. It has been used as the base of paints for fine arts for centuries, and is derived from flax, a fiber that was known amongst BC Celts and others for linen textiles.

It can be thinned with another period material -- turpentine. Note: here it should be stated that as each of these substances are flammable, one should take care to apply them and store them tightly away from fire and with proper air-circulation when using. The drying of the applied oil takes at least eight hours, though you may do well to let it sit for as long as three days. It is worth the wait, I think.

Good luck,

JH

JH

Knightly Dueling - the Fighting Arts of German Chivalry
Arik Estus

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Almost all of the organic oils can become rancid over time. But any of them should work.
I have been useing pure walnut oil on a blade to see if it works. So far so good.
For hunting knives, and such, the Ol Timers say use animal grease on them. Of course that
will become rancid as well even quicker. But, if you were useing your blade all the time and it was being wiped down after each use it most likely wouldnt matter. It maybe fortunate we dont need them each day Big Grin

Arik
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've always wondered about this, but have steered away because of stories of discoloration and the oil becoming rancid. Right now I either use 3-in-1 or Renaissance Wax. I'm thinking of trying Break Free, as I have heard good things about it and Albion recommends it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 28 Mar, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
I've always wondered about this, but have steered away because of stories of discoloration and the oil becoming rancid. Right now I either use 3-in-1 or Renaissance Wax. I'm thinking of trying Break Free, as I have heard good things about it and Albion recommends it.

Does mineral oil (honing oil) become rancid? Also about discoloration...... That may not necessarily be a bad thing. Some people will view it as "character", and normal aging. After all, period weapons probably became less shiny with time. Just speculation. As long as the steel properties remain the same, a little bit of darker color may look very appealing. That "just out-of-the-box ", all shiny look tends to get boring. I am using olive oil (rarely )and Norton mineral honing oil (90%) of the time.
The way this works is I have a rag I have used for some time that is soaked in mineral oil and olive oil from different uses. Now I only use the mineral oil but since there is olive oil already in the rag...........

break-free seems to be highly recommended but I wonder if it had some "potentially harmful " chemicals in it. I am around enough nasty stuff in my lab all day to come home an breath more of the same!

Cheers,

Alexi

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Modern Almond Oil
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic