Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Massive Museum Picture Request post. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Sat 22 Mar, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Already getting a pic or twelve of the Turkish tughs there, so i'll add "anything Turkish" under that category for Paris.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 22 Mar, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Fulton wrote:
Already getting a pic or twelve of the Turkish tughs there, so i'll add "anything Turkish" under that category for Paris.

Thanks again. Happy
D. Austin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 22 Mar, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Fulton wrote:
Will do. Do you have a pic of an eared dagger or an illustration? Can't think of what they look like.

I will be emailing some of the musuems for some of this stuff too.

Here is a pic of an eared dagger.

It's a noble mission you're embarking on and a very generous offer you've made to the community here but make sure it's not at the expense of you enjoying your trip. I'd be tempted to set aside time to return to the museum you found most interesting after having visited all of those on your list. It sounds like an awful lot to cram in to a few weeks and I'd hate for you to come away from the trip with thousands of photos but regretting that you only spent half a day at so-and-so gallery and you were too busy taking pics to immerse yourself in the experience. That's just my approach though. I'm sure you'll love it.

Attachment: 16.36 KB
eared dagger.jpg

B. Fulton

PostPosted: Sat 22 Mar, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's certainly an odd looking blade.

I don't mind, I'd be getting photos of nearly everything in the museums anyways, so getting specific shots of stuff is not a problem. I did this in Vienna in '06 at the Neuburg and got some specific shots of particular harnesses some people wanted, they just about had a collective Internet heart attack when I posted them all. Since over 2/3 of this trip is to see castles, armor, weaponry, garb, and assorted daily life stuff in museums, it made sense to take requests. Happy

My reward is to see Normandy, which I've wanted to do for almost 30 years, just slightly behind wanting to visit Israel (went in '99).
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
If you are going to the Musée de l'Armée in Paris, then I would love to see some high resolution pictures of some their collection of Turkish armour, in particular the helmet of Sultan Barsbay and the equestrian figure of a fully armoured warrior and armoured horse. Manouchehr very kindly photographed these a while back, however because he was concentrating on getting as many photos of as many items as possible, those photos are relatively small and blurred.

Thanks.

These are the items I mean from Manouchehr's thread, they are about halfway down their pages:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...p;start=40
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...;start=140
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...;start=120

I've been wanting close-up photos of the circled sword for several years and would greatly appreciate any photos you could get. I think it's also in the Musee de l'Armee in Paris.

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/displayimage....amp;pos=67

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And I'd love to see the ones on the ends, or any other such hilted swords.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jack W. Englund

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Sun 23 Mar, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am doing a historical researc project There are 2 areas that you could help me with

Highland Scottish pistols (both Snaphance & Flintlock)
English & Scottish Daggers - Side views
( Ballocks, Dudgeons & Dirks)

If more convenient you can collect them & PM me & I will give a place to send them

Thank you Jack
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Fulton wrote:
We will be hitting the V&A for clothing and textiles primarily.

I was under the impression the Wallace collection was in Scotland...... apparently not. Might have to cram an extra museum in there. My wife planned the majority of the trip and hadn't heard of it, I knew of it, I just got the country wrong.

I'll be collating all these into one or two pages to bring with me. I have a good idea what a khopesh looks like but post a pic if you can just to make sure.
Here's one, probably one of the examples from the Louvre.

And the top one here, of which I'm looking for detailed pictures of the blade and hilt (including the connection of the blade into the hilt):

There's also a very unique khopesh that is straight for the most part, and curves near the tip, where the blade widens.

There's quite a few examples there, probably the largest collection in the world. I have a picture with drawings of them. but I can't get it online at the moment, but I'll give it a try. Something I'm also interested in, is which khopeshes are sharp, and which are never sharpened. The literature I have never seems to cover this, despite some photos I've seen clearly show that some khopeshes were never sharpened, and therefore probably not functional.
G Ezell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Otherwise I am interested in seaxes of all types
May I add a second vote for in that respect.

I just wanted to add an additional vote for seaxes.

Wish I was going with you, have fun... Happy
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
And I'd love to see the ones on the ends, or any other such hilted swords.

You probably already have these, Nathan, but just in case you don't here are a few from the Wallace Collection. These can be tough to find at Wallace Live because they turn up only on a search for "longsword," not in "sword". Here's a link for detailed captions with stats:
http://wallacelive.wallacecollection.org:8080...=longsword

Attachment: 15.36 KB
eMuseumPlus-1.jpeg

Attachment: 11.84 KB
eMuseumPlus-2.jpeg

Attachment: 11.86 KB
eMuseumPlus-3.jpeg

Attachment: 11.89 KB
eMuseumPlus.jpeg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Haven't found anything Viking yet really. Oddly, found a bunch of Japanese stuff at the V&A. Had to reshuffle the schedule some but i will do my best. On the Scottish front, found a Lochaber axe used in 1745 to whack a Brit officer, can't remember which one at the moment (which is why I shot the infocard). That was in the Tower of London.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeroen Zuiderwijk wrote:
There's quite a few examples there, probably the largest collection in the world. I have a picture with drawings of them. but I can't get it online at the moment, but I'll give it a try.

And here they are:

Khopesh collection Louvre (particularly interested in the early khopeshes, the left 5 examples):
http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=khopesheslouvrepb0.jpg

Clonbrin shield, National Museum Dublin:
http://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clon...dnaop4.jpg

Langsax Royal Armouries, Leeds:
http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roya...001ah6.jpg
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Sat 29 Mar, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fairly sure I got that langsax in my "any Sax anywhere" instructions, however it was not labeled, so I didn't get a ton of pics. The crappy lighting at Leeds and no-flash rule was a real pain. I'll put up what I have when I can, but I dont' think I got anything particularly great of it.
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Sun 06 Apr, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Update:

Ballock, rondel, eared and cinquedea type daggers all over. Multiple angles on some but glass glare can be a problem.

Swords from nearly all eras from Roman to the 1600s.

Axes and polearms intermittently. Haven't found much Scottish stuff, found a bunch of wheellocks (the largest collection of them I've ever seen in Paris) and a few snaphaunces but all French construction, didn't shoot many of them (not enough memory).

Tons of armor. Tons of Turkish stuff (from Leeds and the Musee d' Armee). Mail, plate, horse stuff and everything else. I will let you all know more when I can. Tomorrow is the Louvre, will be looking for the khopeshes. I did get the Sultan's helmet and the horse and rider armor it was next to, and some turban helmets and daggers next to that.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Fulton wrote:
Update:

Ballock, rondel, eared and cinquedea type daggers all over. Multiple angles on some but glass glare can be a problem.

Swords from nearly all eras from Roman to the 1600s.

Axes and polearms intermittently. Haven't found much Scottish stuff, found a bunch of wheellocks (the largest collection of them I've ever seen in Paris) and a few snaphaunces but all French construction, didn't shoot many of them (not enough memory).

Tons of armor. Tons of Turkish stuff (from Leeds and the Musee d' Armee). Mail, plate, horse stuff and everything else. I will let you all know more when I can. Tomorrow is the Louvre, will be looking for the khopeshes. I did get the Sultan's helmet and the horse and rider armor it was next to, and some turban helmets and daggers next to that.

Cheers! Thanks for that. Happy
D. Austin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Fulton wrote:
Ballock, rondel, eared and cinquedea type daggers all over.

He he he... Awesome.
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well.......all done on museums, did the Louvre today.

Khopeshes: We had to walk the ENTIRE Louvre but found them in the Levant, Mesopatamia area. Two. No hilts (blade and tang, that's it) so if they're not khopeshes, I don't know what they are, but they look like the pics you put up. One was the "wide at the end" one IIRC (have to double check) the other was a "usual" kind. Got about six-eight shots of each from all angles.

Daggers: If you're a daggerologist, I have: Ballocks (around eight of them) Eared (two only, I think was at the Cluny or Les Invalides) Cinquedeas (3-5) Rondels (half a dozenish).

Sword from the Louvre that in my incredibly bad French translation may have been Charlemagne's, in gold and jewels, half a dozen shots from both sides and all angles.

Bronze Age: If you're into the Bronze Age you'll pee yourself in excitement. Daggers, arrowheads, javelin and lanceheads, Axeheads (around a dozen, some of which may have been decorative). Swords, several conventional types and the khopeshes.

Viking blades in bad and good condition. Seaxes, scattered around from the Brit Museum and other places.
Mace heads: One or two may have been early Roman or at least Italian, plus various Gothic and medieval ones.

Arabic: Turkish/Ottoman/guys in robes yelling something in Arabic descent: Armor and a variety of weaponry, polearms, daggers, swords, etc.

Someone asked about exhibit XA.1 at the Tower of London, never did find it.
Tons of various pics from there, cannons, muskets, swords, bayonets, whatever.
Did not find the Brit Musuem double-fullered sword from the River Witham (At least to my knowledge, have to check the photos).

Sutton Hoo: Shot everything they had on display, helmet, sword, axe etc from multiple angles.

Someone asked about the display of swords at the de l' Armee with the broad bladed Type X. Found it (as far as I can tell) and got a bunch of pics, though "the spherical pommeled one" next to it was a bit vague, so I shot all of them. There were 3 falchions there (scattered around) and shot them all.

I'll be starting a seperate photobucket account just for all this so I can just post the link.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sweet! I'm very much looking forwards to them! Major cheers already for going through all the effort!
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, can't wait to see them......you've been a great asset to the community!
Dan
Sam Haverkamp
Industry Professional

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 07 Apr, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Negroli Cuirass Backplate         Reply with quote

Greetings,
Did you have any luck finding the Negroli?
Thanks Much
Sam

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Massive Museum Picture Request post.
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: