Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword, 1870 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword, 1870         Reply with quote

Here is a Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword dating from 1870, used perhaps during the Franco-Prussian War. The brass hilt has a lion head guard terminal and broad langets, the right part shows a high relief decoration of a pair of crossed cannons. Foliage motif guard. Lion head pommel. Black horn fluted grip. The iron scabbard has a single suspension ring and it shows stable surface rust with about 30% black finish remaining. Its hilt shows good, smooth patina. Grip with small shallow flake to the heel, otherwise excellent and finally the sword's blade is bright with original plating, all finish intact. One excellent century-old dress sword.

Attachment: 13.39 KB
Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword, 1870.jpg

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Sat 09 Feb, 2008 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shahril, the picture you've provided doesn't seem to work. Unfortunate, since the sword sounds interesting.
The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword, 1870         Reply with quote

Anders, what do you mean the picture doesn't work?
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All I see is a grey man-shaped figure with a question mark.

If you can still see the picture, it's likely the web page you found it on doesn't allow hotlinking. If that's the case, you need to save it and either add it as an attachment or upload the picture on a different page, like ImageShack or Photobucket, and link from there.

-Homer Simpson.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am seeing the same thing as Anders.
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

me too
Charles Stewart Rodriguez
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword, 1870         Reply with quote

Chase, Jonathan, Anders, the picture of a grey character with question mark has now been replaced with the Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword's photo for your viewing pleasure. I am sorry for that.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know next to nothing about Prussian military swords, so I cannot really make any enlightening comments on this one. Do you have any close-ups of the hilt?

Jonathan
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword, 1870         Reply with quote

So you want a closeup for this sword's hilt, Jonathan? Here's one.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, it is very nice, but I prefer the "real fighting stuff" to dress swords. Happy The hilt is beautiful, but the blade looks too dainty for my tastes.

Jonathan
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword, 1870         Reply with quote

What do you mean the sword's blade is dainty, Jonathan?
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword, 1870         Reply with quote

Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
What do you mean the sword's blade is dainty, Jonathan?

It does not appear to be as robust as other military swords of the era. I do not know what the blade measurements are, but based on the photos it looks to be much slighter than, say, a British artillery officer's sword (that is often the difference between a dress sword and an undress sword). Then again, I am partial to British swords! Wink

British Pattern 1821 Artillery Officer's Sword c.1863:

Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Sun 16 Mar, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword, 1870         Reply with quote

Below is a very nice and well made Prussian Artillery Sword, date of manufacture unknown and is similar to the sword above. It is mounted with a plain, slightly-curved blade that measures 32 1/4 inches in length which remains in very nice, original condition and is well marked on the ricasso with the logo of Alex Coppel just beneath the languet. The impressive stirrup guard is mounted with an intricately detailed lion's head pommel and crossed cannons on the front languet. The composite grip also remains nice with the original twisted wire wrap still tightly in place. The black lacquered metal scabbard is scuffed with just a few small dings. Overall measuring 41 inches in length.

Attachment: 35.51 KB
Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword.JPG

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Wed 19 Mar, 2008 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morgan Butler

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Heres a pic of a similar sword, probably a field weapon . Its the Model 1855 Bavarian Infantry Sword. I have one and its super- fast, Super Sharp and beautifully tempered. Its probably the sword I might grab to defend myself in a pinch. It moves like a smallsword because of its slender blade. A friend of mine jokingly named it "Murder Incorporated." Mine is missing the gold wire on the grip but the blade looks like it was issued from the Bavarian Armory just yesterday.

Attachment: 20 KB
bavarian infantry sabre.jpg

inkothemgard!
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks a bit like the m1889 Swedish Infantery Officer Saber, seen here on the right:

(I've seen a photo of a Swedish sword that looked even more similar -almost identical- but I couldn't find it.)

-Homer Simpson.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Prussian Artillery Officer's Sword, 1870
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic