Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Difference between one hander and a bastard sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
George P.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Difference between one hander and a bastard sword         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have a hand and a half sword with an 80cm blade. I have problems using it with one hand (very slow and clumsy), i have recently ordered a type XII one hander with a 75cm blade. I was wondering if maybe I made a mistake. I'm afraid that because of the similar length I will have the same problem. the centar of gravity is also the same; 12 cm, i think the only big difference is the hilt size Confused Can anybody help me with this problem? Will I experiance the same problems?

Thanks,
George
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference between one hander and a bastard sword         Reply with quote

By center of gravity, I presume you mean the point of balance? If so, 12 centimeters doesn't sound too bad.

How much does this sword actually weigh? Even if it's correctly balanced, it's not impossible that it's simply too heavy for you to use comfortably.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It does matter how the mass is distributed. So those two sword while similar and may feel quite different just depending on how the mass is laid out.

It also sounds like the first sword is supposed to be used with two hands. If your really strong then one hand is fine but two hands is preferable for speed and quickness. even if the other sword is like .5 pound lighter it could just feel alot snappier. Lot of variables that go into how a sword feels. But hope it works out for you.
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As the others said the center of gravity, on its own, gives only part of the information about the balance and handling properties you can expect. And then whether you like the balance or not is a matter of personal taste... The handle shape can actually make a difference as well. Having the pommel up closer can give a more secure feel on a one hander.

Anyhow you'll have less leverage with one hand. So the moves you can do with a two-handed grip are not always doable or advisable with one hand... However I find that the one-handed use of a sword can make one's technique better, as in this situation you learn to let the sword move on its own without using forceful leverage to make it move just as you want.

Let us know how it turns out...

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Difference between one hander and a bastard sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic