Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advantage of Range Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven,
Your aggressive tone and sarcasm are out of line. You are welcome to debate with people, but keep it civil, courteous and professional.

This is the second warning to you in a day. The next incident will result in a temporary loss of your posting privileges.

Am I clear?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Deciding which hits count and stop the fight is problem in any type of sparring. Many groups count most hits as a roughly immediate stops for unarmored sparring. This isn't realistic, as humans commonly continue to struggle after being severely wounded. On the other hand, a good fencers always wants to avoid getting hit. It's a complicated issue.

Quote:
Sam, the reason why I think wraps are not mentioned in manual is because there are no manual that cover detailed fighting with fullsize shields.

Talhoffer addressed fighting with rather large shields, as did Marozzo.
Sean Smith

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yet from everything I have heard, Talhoffer was talking about specialized dueling shields, in an unarmoured context, to (what I have heard) is first blood. Which is far different than what the quote you referenced was referring to. It (referring to SCA combat), is an armoured fight between two combatants, dressed in roughly 1150's contemporary armour, fighting to a single shot standard (which can be, and has been changed over time, to allow experimentation such as multiple blows to end a bout). The other thing is that throwing a wrap against someone out of armour vs in armour relies on different techniques (cutting/slicing actions, vs. possible percussive action). Wraps in the conventional sense, as opposed to back edged cuts in general which may be thrown from any range, also rely on your opponent being unwilling to wrestle, or otherwise do something to not want you to be that close.

If you could provide any evidence of Mazarro or Talhoffer's system in reference to the combatants, I would be highly interested. Everyone who seems to mention them to me seems to fall silent when asked about their usage, armour they would have worn during such a bout, the ending criteria, and any social stigmas attached to certain types of attacks (aka. if it is to first blood, killing your opponent is frowned upon). So figuring out how these would have bearing on a different system becomes more difficult when one doesn't have all the facts.

Chad, if you feel this warrants a new thread, please start one or let me know. I am unfamiliar with the protocol of how far off-topic from the original post is allowed.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven, with all respect, you use what ever methods works for you and I will use what ever works for me.

I certainly did not mean I was anywhere near a master, just decent enough and I have fenced enough people know what works. When I happen to run into people that are better then me, I certainly take any advice I can get and see how I can use it.

With the rapier there are no issues of target areas, no armor and the whole body is a target area. The calibration is light so everyone can play. If you think there is something missing from SCA rapier then I invite you enter a few tournaments and beat everyone. If their level is as poor as you say, then people will surround you and plead with you to train them. I will even include myself in that crowd. I would love to raise my skill too. You can then take full credit for bringing SCA rapier up to your higher standard.

Now to explain my comment more fully, I have always felt that the buckler was a hold over form prior periods. I feel that a dagger is a lighter faster parry device. The buckler usually weighs twice as much and is slower. I think the buckler is more useful against harder hitting cutting swords that might otherwise blow through a buckler.

The rapier manual also include a lot of cuts. I think Di Grasse suggests a 50-50 mix. I have fought rapier outside the SCA too where cuts are allowed and I have found them ineffective as a primary attack. I find cuts and slices sometimes effective when a thrust goes off-line but I would do not want to go 50-50 with a rapier.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Sun 09 Mar, 2008 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Smith wrote:
If you could provide any evidence of Mazarro or Talhoffer's system in reference to the combatants, I would be highly interested. Everyone who seems to mention them to me seems to fall silent when asked about their usage, armour they would have worn during such a bout, the ending criteria, and any social stigmas attached to certain types of attacks (aka. if it is to first blood, killing your opponent is frowned upon). So figuring out how these would have bearing on a different system becomes more difficult when one doesn't have all the facts.

Although this might go into a different thread, I'll but it here and the mods can move it if it seems appropriate.

I can't answer for Talhoffer; however, Marozzo (and the rest of the Bolognese) is a system with which I am quite familiar.

The Bolognese sword arts were used in four aspects: Battlefield/Combat, Duel (judicial), Exhibition (display of virtue), and Sport. We can see evidence of the last two in the text and related texts (Manciolino and the Anonymous give some point values for body parts and talk a little about "rules" of fencing--the Anonymous contrast the rules to a duel, so we know the rules are for sport and not the duel). Dall'Agocchie gives clear evidence of the first in saying that the Art of Fencing is beneficial to soldiers (although not all of soldiering) and Marozzo's unarmed against dagger section shows the general "combat" aspect of the first aspect.

Now to the last: dueling. The Bolognese texts mostly cover situations where the opponents had the same weapons--good evidence (along with the titles of some of the treatises, not to mention the long section on dueling in the end of Marozzo's book) that they are intended as dueling texts, as in a judicial duel, both combatants would be armed and armored identically. What the combatants used and wore was decided by the challenged--that is, if you had challenged me to a judicial duel (which was done very formally and upright by issuing a cartello--a legal document stating the challenge), I would have the opportunity to choose how we were armored and armed. The only stipulation is that the weapons must be "commonly available." That is, I couldn't pick something exotic. However, I could do something like having us both use shields so heavy as to be unusable--something I might do if I thought I had a strength advantage and could wear you out. Note that throwing away prescribed equipment would mean forfeiting the duel.

As to the types of attacks, a look at the Bolognese shows that pretty much everything is a possible target, although for practical reasons, cuts are most commonly delivered to extremities (limbs or head) and thrusts are most commonly delivered to the largest target (torso). There weren't rules about specific attacks per se, although based on some of the period texts about dueling, there seemed to be some debate about grappling (this is in the 1500s). However, "dirty tricks" were clear violations and meant an instant loss of the duel: dirt in the eyes, hidden weapons, weapons with "trick" features, such as spring-loaded spikes, etc. A duel wasn't necessarily to the death, but neither was it specifically to first blood. There were various methods of figuring out who won if it seemed unclear. If both combatants die, the loser is the combatant who died first. If both are wounded, the severity of the wound determined the loser, etc.

Finally, there was one more aspect to the duel: the challenger must make the first attack (and an earnest attack).

Thus, we could look at it like this:

1. You challenge me to a duel (I won't get into the circumstances where that was allowed).
2. I stipulate weapons and armor. If I know that you're a great swordsman but terrible with polearms, I might choose the Halberd or Partisan. If you're very tall, I'll stipulate armor to cover head, arms and torso only and leave the legs bare (this example is advice from Manciolino).
3. You must make the first attack in the duel. No waiting until I attack so that you can pick me off. I can wait all day, but if you want to win to have to attack at least once. Note that the first attack is only in terms of the whole duel. That is, after you make one earnest attack, you can wait for me to attack, if you wish.
4. At sundown, the duel is over (but if we're both unhurt, you haven't "proven" your injury).

For more information, see this thread:
http://salvatorfabris.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Yet from everything I have heard, Talhoffer was talking about specialized dueling shields, in an unarmoured context, to (what I have heard) is first blood.

http://base.kb.dk/pls/hsk_web/hsk_vis.side?p_...p_lang=eng

I'm no expert in 15th-century dueling, but that move looks a bit too lethal for such a fight.
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
Now to explain my comment more fully, I have always felt that the buckler was a hold over form prior periods. I feel that a dagger is a lighter faster parry device. The buckler usually weighs twice as much and is slower. I think the buckler is more useful against harder hitting cutting swords that might otherwise blow through a buckler [did you mean dagger?].

However, none of the main Italian Rapier masters use the buckler (although Capoferro has the rotella in his treatise). Fabris strictly covers sword-alone, sword and dagger and sword and cape and Giganti covers sword-alone and sword and dagger). Alfieri covers the same combinations as Fabris.

Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
The rapier manual also include a lot of cuts. I think Di Grasse suggests a 50-50 mix. I have fought rapier outside the SCA too where cuts are allowed and I have found them ineffective as a primary attack. I find cuts and slices sometimes effective when a thrust goes off-line but I would do not want to go 50-50 with a rapier.

Discounting Di Grassi (I'll say why below), none of the Italian rapier masters use the cut as a primary attack--they use it as a secondary attack. While some of them include more cutting actions than others, they all explicitly state that the thrust is superior. (For that matter, so do the authors of the 1500s.) However, used in the right situation, they can be quite effective--but just like every technique, the key is the right situation.

Now as to di Grassi: While the 1590s English translation uses the term "rapier", this can hardly be called a rapier manual in the sense that Fabris and Capoferro are rapier manuals. It is far closer to the Bolognese texts of the 1500s (in fact it was contemporary with Dall'Agocchie). However, even when you look at these manuals, you see the thrust preferred over the cut--especially with sword-alone. While some people like to say that the Bolognese system and its cousins (such as di Grassi, et. al.) are 50%/50% cut and thrust, the thrust is definitely "more equal." It is the opening attack for the majority of sword-alone actions that don't start with a beat, and it is still the most common opening attack for sword and buckler/targa. Note that even di Grassi explicitly prefers the thrust to the cut and gives some nice counters to those who cut first--especially with sword-alone.

Steve

Steven Reich

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
[color=darkblue]Steven,
Your aggressive tone and sarcasm are out of line. You are welcome to debate with people, but keep it civil, courteous and professional.

You're right. Sorry.

Steve

Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pulling Di Grasse out of the list of Masters or setting him aside is not something I feel comfortable with doing. I feel a lot more comfortable with just saying, some of his methods don't work for me.

You actually surprised me, I though your argument was going to be in favor of cuts since that is not allowed in SCA rapier. So where is the big discrepancy between us? I fight rapier with a weapon in each hand, I move in non-leaner circles, I use the strong of my sword to set aside, the quillons to trap, use thrusts mostly slices and tip cuts if I miss. I use range, distance and timing. The whole body is a target but I prefer the upper body because it is closer. What do you think is missing from SCA rapier?

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Sun 09 Mar, 2008 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So about range...
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Sean Smith

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, what does he talk about in the way of shields, Stephen? That was kind of the jist of my arguement, and trying to see what if anything was applicable to an earlier form of fighting (aka. the SCA heavy armoured standard, a Norman helm with a hauberk).
Doug Lester

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was going to stay out of the fray, but what the heck. I am admittedly a newbie and not a practitioner of western martial arts. I think that with everything else being equal, in general, the longer weapon will give an advantage. I can see if I had a six foot long thrusting spear or a glave that I would have an advantage over some one with only an arming sword, everthing else being equal. However, if I were out in the open by myself armed with a 16 fool long pike my best bet would be to throw it down and take off running. The pike has great reach and in massed formation, for which it was designed to be used, it was formidable. By itself it would be slow and akward and too long ranged against a man with a sword. Pikes also had a weakness that could be exploited as the Spanish sword and shield men did.

It would also seem that pole arms would be at a disadvantage where the fighting was at close quarters, especially where the mass of fighters were pressed upon each other.

As far as any system of sparing where certain targets, such as the legs, being off limits for safety or any other reasons, they cannot accurately represent what happens on the battlefield where nothing is off limits. As one man I saw interviewed about tactics used by the Army Rangers said, "if you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough. Simulations can only approximate combat conditions only so close.
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Smith wrote:
So, what does he talk about in the way of shields, Stephen? That was kind of the jist of my arguement, and trying to see what if anything was applicable to an earlier form of fighting (aka. the SCA heavy armoured standard, a Norman helm with a hauberk).

Is there something specific you want me to look for? Marozzo, Manciolino, and the Anonymous each have a section on Sword and Rotella (the Rotella is the large round shield), and Marozzo has a section on Sword and Imbracciatura (which is, according to the plates, a body-length shield). Both are against like weapons.

Marozzo also has a short section on Sword and Rotella, Targa, or Buckler against polearms.

Steve (always with a 'v' Wink )

Sean Smith

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really what I am looking for is any information they talk about with armoured combatants (maille or better covering most of the body) with a shield bigger than 24" (my artificial definition of buckler). Several people have tried to argue that "SCA fighting is unhistorical" and tend to hold those examples (usually Talhoffer's Dueling shields) as reasons against what we do, saying "The masters argue for something totally different". Yet when pressed for any information about those systems, they seem to lose interest in the argument. What I am looking for is anything that deals with weapons designed to cut and thrust, against an opponent in armour, with a shield. Obviously, these swords would be a far cry from the Type X through XII that would have been used, but that is where the relevancy would be in question. This would let me (and others) form our own opinions about how much knowledge from one age would impact another. From what I have found, there really isn't anything dealing with this (hence SPADA and the other things people extrapolate). Kind of like the argument of "Did all fights end in grappling, aka. Fiore-style, before the advent of rigid armour?". I believe they didn't, but I listen to the arguments of the opposing view, as they may impact my thinking. However it is hard to hold up one side of an argument without the supporting facts, and degree of relevancy.

Sorry about the mis-spelling, was trying to finish typing before I had to rush off and do something, SteVe. Happy

Doug, no-one is saying that any system of sparring is perfect. This is because no system can replicate full targeting, full force with full speed. Mostly because weapons of that age did their job, sometimes frighteningly well (look at the topic on flails for a good example), and we like having our sparring partners around for a while Wink. What is important to look at when comparing any simulation is how much things that are "against" the rules really come into play. As an example, I and many others believe that in a sword/shield vs sword/shield fight the lower leg would rarely be a target, due to more vital areas being in range at the same time. Hence, removing that for safety still gives a high degree of extrapolation to the scenario. Using the same example and removing the head leads to a lower degree of extrapolation, as it would be a key target. The key is drawing the line between safety and extrapolation, which every group does differently. Seeing the interaction, and the ways different groups react under the same circumstances helps our extrapolations, as it is more likely to show where the rules may artificially impact the extrapolation.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean I very much agree with you on the limits of any fighting system.

In any training system some compromises will have to be made for the sake of safety. Either, the weapons will be padded, or the moves will be slow and controlled, or the armor will be unrealistically heavy, etc... I am sure that when medieval knights trained they also observed some restraints. Not a good idea to kill ones own squires. My opinion is in that by training using different methods you will round out the shortcomings and compromises of any one training system.

Low Leg Block
I took a picture and made a video to better explain my position on low-leg blocks. Observe my block in the following picture. Notice the glaive angled down from shoulder hight to my ankle. Notice how the shaft makes contact with my shield at the corner which I have rolled down. I am blocking my ankles by stopping the glaive at a higher and more forward position. Notice the my hand is hanging straight down, I could push it more forward and catch the glaive at an even higher position without even having to lower my shield as much as I do. So it is not a mater of bringing the shield down but out. You will also notice that when the shield goes down to block, the sword comes to that side too in case my opponent faked low and attacks my head instead.

I created a video detailing this low leg defense. You can view it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFOgO_jo1A8

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
By itself it would be slow and akward and too long ranged against a man with a sword.

Is there much historical evidence for this opinion? Silver actually gave the pike odds against anything shorter than his staff of perfect length. This includes halberds and the sword and target. Various authors addressed single combat between pikes. While the great length of the shaft may intuitively seem to be a disadvantage against a shorter weapon, the manuals don't support this.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd do the low shield block the other way around, using the sword in a hanging guard.
Against a block like that, I'd simply bend down and scarpe the ground with my glaive to get under the shield.
The best defense against a polearm High-low in my experience is intercepting the pole with your sword as it's going down, applying the shield edge, and closing in.
As long as you stay at pole length, he can try to kill you all day long without putting himself in danger.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Smith wrote:
Sorry about the mis-spelling, was trying to finish typing before I had to rush off and do something, SteVe. Happy

No problem--initially, I just wasn't sure you had directed your post to me.

Sean Smith wrote:
As an example, I and many others believe that in a sword/shield vs sword/shield fight the lower leg would rarely be a target, due to more vital areas being in range at the same time. Hence, removing that for safety still gives a high degree of extrapolation to the scenario. Using the same example and removing the head leads to a lower degree of extrapolation, as it would be a key target. The key is drawing the line between safety and extrapolation, which every group does differently. Seeing the interaction, and the ways different groups react under the same circumstances helps our extrapolations, as it is more likely to show where the rules may artificially impact the extrapolation.

I'll give you some statistics from Marozzo's sword and Rotella (I'm pulling these out quickly, so they won't be very granular):
The techniques presented in Marozzo's treatise are contained in "Chapters" for the various weapon combinations, with each Chapter being essentially one full and complex action (i.e. feints, parries, redoubled blows, etc.). Thus if you were to close with your opponent and have an exchange, that would generally be one Chapter (it's almost like a paragraph--they are often that short--or long).

Spada e Rotella

Marozzo's Sword and Rotella section comprises 11 Chapters. Out of the 11 Chapters, 9 of them contain either strikes to the leg or feinted strikes to the leg.

Spada e Imbracciatura

Marozzo's Sword and Imbracciatura section comprises only 4 Chapters, and 2 of them contain strikes to the leg.

Spada e Targa

Spada e Brocchiero (i.e. Buckler)

Because the Sword and Targa and Sword and Buckler sections are too long to analyze this way (I'm at work), I'll just have to give you a subjective viewpoint from my experience studying the Bolognese material. Leg attacks are extremely common with these weapon combinations. I would estimate that they figure into at least 80% of all plays.

Thus, for simulating an encounter with sharps (whether on a battlefield or in a duel), to remove the leg as a target for the Bolognese system would radically change the system to the point that the simulation is not longer accurate.

Steve

Sean Smith

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Steve, when you get back and get some time, lets take this discussion into its own thread. I have some more questions, and it is nice to find someone willing to discuss the systems, instead of using them to justify an argument already made, and being slow to produce when it may not actually say what they originally quoted (not anyone here, previous discussions). I will try to get an initial post up today, after I get done with work, and a major report due.
Sam N.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Smith wrote:
Really what I am looking for is any information they talk about with armoured combatants (maille or better covering most of the body) with a shield bigger than 24" (my artificial definition of buckler). Several people have tried to argue that "SCA fighting is unhistorical" and tend to hold those examples (usually Talhoffer's Dueling shields) as reasons against what we do, saying "The masters argue for something totally different". Yet when pressed for any information about those systems, they seem to lose interest in the argument. What I am looking for is anything that deals with weapons designed to cut and thrust, against an opponent in armour, with a shield. Obviously, these swords would be a far cry from the Type X through XII that would have been used, but that is where the relevancy would be in question. This would let me (and others) form our own opinions about how much knowledge from one age would impact another. From what I have found, there really isn't anything dealing with this (hence SPADA and the other things people extrapolate). Kind of like the argument of "Did all fights end in grappling, aka. Fiore-style, before the advent of rigid armour?". I believe they didn't, but I listen to the arguments of the opposing view, as they may impact my thinking. However it is hard to hold up one side of an argument without the supporting facts, and degree of relevancy.

Doug, no-one is saying that any system of sparring is perfect. This is because no system can replicate full targeting, full force with full speed. Mostly because weapons of that age did their job, sometimes frighteningly well (look at the topic on flails for a good example), and we like having our sparring partners around for a while Wink. What is important to look at when comparing any simulation is how much things that are "against" the rules really come into play. As an example, I and many others believe that in a sword/shield vs sword/shield fight the lower leg would rarely be a target, due to more vital areas being in range at the same time. Hence, removing that for safety still gives a high degree of extrapolation to the scenario. Using the same example and removing the head leads to a lower degree of extrapolation, as it would be a key target. The key is drawing the line between safety and extrapolation, which every group does differently. Seeing the interaction, and the ways different groups react under the same circumstances helps our extrapolations, as it is more likely to show where the rules may artificially impact the extrapolation.

Ah, sorry, I thought the SCA system was meant to replicate unarmoured combat (since cuts were counted as lethal).

I do agree that in fights where the weapons are of equal length and reasonably short (as opposed to polearm vs. polearm), I also believe that the majority of strikes would be to upper targets. I have thrown low strikes before using longsword and sword and shield and it seems that everytime I get cut or stabbed in the head due to the simple geometry of the situation. However, if one weapon far outranges the other, than this geometrical advantage of striking high is negated by length.

The picture Vassilis posted is good, but that only works if the polearm is in very close range. As Elling noted, the polearm would probably use low strikes from a range far greater than that. Why not use range when you have a polearm?

However, there is one thing that sums up the problem quite well from Vassilis:
Quote:
Steven, with all respect, you use what ever methods works for you and I will use what ever works for me.

What Vassilis uses works quite well, but again, it works for what it is meant to work for, the SCA system. I think that if we are going to go anywhere with this arguement, we have to find the opinion of people who have actually used these weapons in combat. I have brought forth one author who believes in the superiority of polearms over sword and shield, however, he is dealing with unarmoured combat. In armoured combat, I don't actually see the need for a shield anyways, neither do any of the authors who wrote during the period when full armour was worn. As for the period that the SCA tries to replicate in it's fighting (which is the Early Middle Ages as I understand it now), if anyone can bring any accounts of fighting from the era, that will bring us somewhere. Otherwise, we will simply keep arguing about who's personal experience is more true.

Here's how I so far see it:

Polearm vs. sword and shield while unarmoured: polearm has the advantage.

Polearm vs. sword and shield fully armoured: Didn't happen since large heater shields where never used with full armour. In this case, the match is really between polearm and longsword being held in a halfsword position.

Polearm vs. sword and shield with early style armour as the SCA tries to replicate: Unknown so far since nobody has found any contemporary accounts yet.

I think one conclusion we can draw about weaponry is that armour tends to negate weaponry range advantages (with the exception of firearms of course).

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advantage of Range
Page 5 of 10 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: