Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advantage of Range Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next 
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And to Jesse.

SCA does have it's faults. But no lower leg attack or no hands really isn't one of them. In the West, we do have some fights with thos restrictions lifted and using full greaves and mitten gauntlets. It REALLY doesn't change the fight. I have already explained what happens when the rules change. You just start to punch block more. You use the crossguard of your sword to block instead of the basket hilt (whohoo such a big difference). What does change the fight is changing to plate calibration. Where a one handed sword blow to most parts of the body is no longer considered good anymore and you have to rely on stabs more...or two handed weapons.
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manciolino suggested choosing the longer weapon before the shorter one. The lance before the spiedo, partisan before two-handed sword.
Raymond Arnold

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
Raymond Arnold wrote:
The answer a lot of people are giving here is "it depends." The response some people are giving is "sure, a sword can beat a pole-arm, but it takes more skill."

So for the people explaining how the sword can beat the pole-arm, here's a question I hope is useful: You get challenged to a life or death duel. You can choose from sword or pole-arm - your opponent gets the other. Which one would you rather have in that situation? (Lets assume the skill of your opponent is unknown. Though if the skill of the opponent would affect your answer, I'd be interested in that too).

The answer depends on the amount of armor you get to wear. Does the sword get a shield? Are we in plate? Maile? Naked?

In my mind I think I meant without armor, but I suppose knowing the answer to each variation is useful. So... the following situations: (answer whichever you happen to have experience with. I'm interested in all the answers, though be aware that lengthy explanations of why and citing ancient writers tends to go over my head. I have no extensive background here.)

1. Unarmored - Pole-arm vs Sword (no shield)
2. Unarmored - Pole-arm vs Sword and Shied
3. Unarmored - Pole-arm vs Longsword (I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that a pole-arm is still longer than a longsword)

4. Armored (Plate, I guess. You can do mail separately if you want) - Pole-arm vs Sword (no shield)
5. Armored - Pole-arm vs Sword and shield
6. Armored - Pole-arm vs Longsword

Unrelated note: is there an actual word for "unarmored?" That shows up as a spelling error.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And then we have to get into sword types Happy . Are we restricted to type X? Because that means once we are in plate land, no matter what the one handed sword is rather useless. Yes it gets plenty complicated Happy .

For the unarmoured...

1) pole arm
2) sword and shield
3) pole arm

For plate armoured...

1) pole arm
2) depends on sword
3) depends on sword

For maile...
1) pole arm
2) sword and shield
3) pole arm
B. Fulton

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having handled an actual halberd from around the 1500s, I was surprised that despite the weight, the balance was much better than expected. I didn't get to toss it around, but it balanced far better than I thought it would in the hands.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raymond Arnold wrote:
You get challenged to a life or death duel. You can choose from sword or pole-arm - your opponent gets the other. Which one would you rather have in that situation? (Lets assume the skill of your opponent is unknown...)

Where are we fighting? Big open field, or inside a house? Mud or concrete? Grassy hill or flat sandy beach?

Would we get to choose the type of sword? And the type of pole-arm? Are we armoured?

(Where is this happening? Do we have to use weapons from there, or can we go international? Do both weapons have to be from the same place?) Are we talking an eight foot pole-arm and a fifteen inch sword, or a five foot pole-axe and a four foot sword?

What does the guy look like? How does he move, walk, sit down? Big, little, quick, slow, runner, weightlifter? Shoulders or hips, where does it look like he draws his power from? Can you hear anything on his breath (laboured, crackling, uneven)?

There's too many variables to be able to give an answer outright, but with more specifics, it could still go either way. I don't think a big guy with a pole-axe would have to worry too much about a big guy with a sword, in a wide open field in daylight, but a smaller quicker guy with a sword has a chance in the same area and at the same time. Patience...

And inside a building, the pole-arm becomes a serious liability, because it needs room to move. A big sword, though, is also a problem inside, isn't it?

I think we need a bunch of specific scenarios. Specific weapons, places to fight, opponent types, times of day, clothing. Then we can tackle them one at a time.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Raymond Arnold

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think your primary answer is probably enough - it depends. On a lot. But the sense I'm getting is that reach is important so long as you aren't in a confined space.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Travis Gorrie wrote:
You guys mention carrying a weapon for each range as combat dictates. But do you have time to switch weapons?

For example, if I have spear and sword, and a sword man opponent charges in and makes my spear ineffective – do I really have time to draw my sword before he cuts me to shreads? Especially if I have no armor.

Not if he's any good. A less practised swordsman might miss the opening, but not one who has already considered this in training.

I would say consider the longer range weapon as disposable (i mean easily discarded... don't hang on to it when they can reach you...) after a certain closing of the gap, and practise drawing the sword, or mid-range weapon, on a backwards step... for defensive purposes. And have a knife handy. The fastest knife-draw I ever saw, knife, not sword, was a Sikh guy showing me his Kirpan in Hong Kong. I didn't even see his hand move before it was right there in my face. I can see that he had drilled for a quick draw to stab up under the sternum from below. An awesome, scary, move...

अजयखड्गधारी
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raymond Arnold wrote:
I think your primary answer is probably enough - it depends. On a lot. But the sense I'm getting is that reach is important so long as you aren't in a confined space.

Throwing weapons. Knives, darts, feidao, proper shuriken, even those infernal stars... All round useful, and with enough practise, not affected by space restrictions. A well-enough-trained halberdier or swordsman might "deflect" one or two (by pure luck...), but sooner or later one is getting through. And you can hide them, poison them, whatever...

To be honest, It's really just the next extension of reach really, isn't it?

अजयखड्गधारी
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Armour and or shield if you have one should negate light thrown weapons. It is in all the vid clips and does change the game. Probably in more ways that I can fully appreciate given my very limited exposure to the stuff.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raymond Arnold wrote:

In my mind I think I meant without armor, but I suppose knowing the answer to each variation is useful. So... the following situations: (answer whichever you happen to have experience with. I'm interested in all the answers, though be aware that lengthy explanations of why and citing ancient writers tends to go over my head. I have no extensive background here.)

1. Unarmored - Pole-arm vs Sword (no shield)
2. Unarmored - Pole-arm vs Sword and Shied
3. Unarmored - Pole-arm vs Longsword (I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that a pole-arm is still longer than a longsword)

4. Armored (Plate, I guess. You can do mail separately if you want) - Pole-arm vs Sword (no shield)
5. Armored - Pole-arm vs Sword and shield
6. Armored - Pole-arm vs Longsword

Unrelated note: is there an actual word for "unarmored?" That shows up as a spelling error.

1. polearm
2. Sword & shield.
3 Polearm

4. Polearm
5. shield and single-handed war hammer.
6. Polearm.

I modified the option on # 5 in armored combat . Shields can be used with any single handed weapon. The fighting style does not change much. I often fight axe and shield in SCA melees. All my single-handed sword work transfers over very well. It just a little slower with less reach but opens up some hooking options. The sword is good for headshots against full plate but with an single handed war hammer you can work the whole body and hook too.

In the options where the shield was not involved I opted for the longer weapon.

P. Cha wrote:
And to Jesse.

SCA does have it's faults. But no lower leg attack or no hands really isn't one of them. In the West, we do have some fights with thos restrictions lifted and using full greaves and mitten gauntlets. It REALLY doesn't change the fight. I have already explained what happens when the rules change. You just start to punch block more. You use the crossguard of your sword to block instead of the basket hilt (whohoo such a big difference). What does change the fight is changing to plate calibration. Where a one handed sword blow to most parts of the body is no longer considered good anymore and you have to rely on stabs more...or two handed weapons.

A person does not have to look any further then the German longsword tradition that explicitly discourages leg strikes all together because of the range issue.

On the hand hitting issue it is really not an issue with the big shields. If you remove the shield and weapons from most shieldmen you will notice that their stance is similar to a fencer. Their shield-leg is forward and so is their shield-shoulder. The sword-leg is back and so is the sword-shoulder. In moving around they try to maintain that body position. If you can picture that, you will see that it is impossible to hit the sword-arm until it extends for cut. When you strike you do it fast and bring the arm back into position. The only way you can get that hand in a guard position is if he squares up his shoulders. That means step forward with that back leg bringing his sword-shoulder forward too. If he does that, you can pick any target you want on that side of the body. A am assuming both fighter are right handed... or both are left handed. Off-handed fights are a different matter.

To put things into a more clear prospective when I go to a two hour practice I will typically get hit 40 times in the head, 10 in the forward leg, 10 on my sword side "body" from mistakenly squaring up, and 3 on my basket hilt or sword arm. I fight a pretty standard style for East Coast. There are some people that do some funky stuff like fight with their basket hilt in front of their face, but that is not too common. It is very hard for most people to generate the power for a good offensive strike from there. Most people can't sword block their head too well anyway. I also find that blocking with your basket also is hard on the wrist and breaks hose clamps.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

even with an axe, I often strike at hands and toes, takes some creativity, but even threatening makes for different combat. People that do not know my fighting sometimes leave their swordarm open too long in a strike, people that do know me often make sloppy strikes because they wish to protect their fingers all the way. I thought I saw toes attacked in old longsword treatises as well. If you cannot walk, you cannot fight, if you flinch when walking, you are dead as well
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can hit a NZ 50c coin (roughly the size of a Yu Ess of Ay quarter...) from 15 feet (well, about 5m, anyway) in three of five shots with Chinese feidao. Real feidao look nothing like those khukri things from "House of Flying Daggers", the ones I have are basically steel pyramids with a ring and white tassels. I suspect that unless the armoured fighter has full face protection, he's not going to be seeing for long.

It seems to me that a lot of you guys rely too much on a shield and not enough on the defensive uses of your swords! When I match, I don't use a shield EVER... I simply block with my sword and move my body out of the way. Please forgive if I am wrong, but it seems that Western Swordsmanship relies a whole lot on big power shots, and taking a hit on your armour or shield... Why? If you run the point of your sharp sword over the skin covering the Carotid Artery, you will get pumping blood (and death), without having to cut the head off. The less armour, the quicker you can move. Plate armour must be hell to JUMP in...

An unnecessarily morbid subject, the whole head chopping and all, but something I've wanted to address for a while...

Does acrobatics figure at all in Western Swordsmanship? Does relying on reflex action, and repetitive drilling make a difference? I know drilling does, I have been listening intently to what you, the more practical experts have to say, but if you took a hit on your mail, you would still bruise like hell, wouldn't you? Wouldn't it just be easier to turn under the striking arm and push your entire sword into the ribcage? It has worked for me, theoretically speaking...

Apologies in advance for any offence this post may cause, but I really need to know exactly how to compare Western swordsmanship, the battle-proven kind, to the Eastern equivalent. It seems to me, in all honesty, that Western Swordsmen don't get out of the way often enough, preferring to rely on a shield or armour! It just doesn't seem altogether healthy to rely on a metal suit for protection, rather than speedy movements, ALL the time...

I want, no need, to understand this mentality better. Help me out, fellas...

अजयखड्गधारी
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
shield and single-handed war hammer.

Is there any historical evidence for this style in armor? I don't believe I've ever seen a period illustration of an armored man fighting with shield and impact weapon. Shield and sword, sure. Sometimes shield and spear. Honestly, there's not even much evidence for any Western infantry using single-handed axes, maces, or hammers. As far as I can, these were mainly cavalry weapons. I'm not convinced they'd be terribly effective against armor on foot.

Quote:
I suspect that unless the armoured fighter has full face protection, he's not going to be seeing for long.

He could probably cover his face as you threw. Hurled knives don't move as swiftly as arrows. It would depend on skill and reflexes.

Quote:
It seems to me, in all honesty, that Western Swordsmen don't get out of the way often enough, preferring to rely on a shield or armour!

What? I suspect more folks practice unarmored forms than armored ones. I don't have any armor, so it's all I do. George Silver's style doesn't include acrobatics, but it's focused on getting out of the way or stopping the attack.
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
It seems to me that a lot of you guys rely too much on a shield and not enough on the defensive uses of your swords! When I match, I don't use a shield EVER... I simply block with my sword and move my body out of the way. Please forgive if I am wrong, but it seems that Western Swordsmanship relies a whole lot on big power shots, and taking a hit on your armour or shield...
[...]
Does acrobatics figure at all in Western Swordsmanship?
[...]
Apologies in advance for any offence this post may cause, but I really need to know exactly how to compare Western swordsmanship, the battle-proven kind, to the Eastern equivalent. It seems to me, in all honesty, that Western Swordsmen don't get out of the way often enough, preferring to rely on a shield or armour! It just doesn't seem altogether healthy to rely on a metal suit for protection, rather than speedy movements, ALL the time...

I think you need to keep a few things in mind here...

First, relying purely on practical experience acquired with shield and sword *simulators*, in relatively safe situations, does not necessarily reflect what works or what should be done with the real things. Thus, all the discussion about shield tactics here might be representative of what was done, but might also be totally off the mark. One way to know is to look at period manuals. Alas, shield material is scarce as far as I know. Especially about the big shields... There is also relatively little info about unmatched weapons, sword vs. polearms etc.

Now, in most of the manuals that do remain, I do not think you will find reliance on big power shots and getting hit on the armour. Not any more so than in any Eastern counterpart I know of at least. It might also be that you are comparing apple to orange; perhaps it would be more suited to compare modern Eastern arts to later dueling styles such as rapier, because the contexts are more similar. Look at Thibault and how he deals with a great sword with his rapier alone, you'll find the principles are completely similar to what you describe...

Acrobatics... I don't think you'll find a great deal of them on any battlefield anywhere. I don't remember seeing a traditional eastern art that relies on them a great deal either, for practical applications. Anything you can do with acrobatics you'll do more efficiently without. And a lot more safely too...

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Bennison N

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I find acrobatics serves a good psychological purpose, as well as increasing your ability to "squirm" out of situations you might otherwise have to block the hell out of and retreat. The first unarmed style of Chinese origin I learnt was Hou Quan, or the Monkey Fist, which was very athletic and acrobatic, albeit more for show and useful against not more than perhaps three opponents at once. It did not, and still doesn't, have a sword form of any type, however... I told my late teacher I would make one, but it just doesn't seem to convert well.

I do think that rapier is the most similar to jian in use. Then next would seem to be the arming sword. I would like to match against skilled exponents of either of these, to see how they work, and discover the defensive applications of them. I consider defensive applications to be of greater importance than offensive. I suspect that a great deal of jianshu moves could be adapted to either of these weapons. I saw a film in which a Chinese choreographer had used rapier as the hero's weapon. "The Musketeer", I believe it was called. A not-very-authentic take on the old Dumas novel. The choreography was good... Unfortunately the rest of the film was not as good...

If anyone here considers themselves to be expert at the use of either a rapier or arming sword, I would like like to discuss at length, if they be so willing, the similarities and differences between these weapons and the jian. Also, if anyone can suggest another weapon which in use is similar, I would like to know of it.

Thanks Ben and Vincent for your help, although I still suspect I can hit the armoured guy's eyes with my feidao...

अजयखड्गधारी
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it would be very hard to hit the eyes of someone wearing a great helm, that said, many of the regular guys would not have full face protection. Not as much of the western way of fighting focusses on bashing hard, it focussus on thrusting in hard to protect places in armour. The face is not often stabbed, mainly because it is easy to spot where the weapon is going (you would instinctively get away, and then the weapon has nothing to strike anymore). The main use of a shield is that you do not have to move as vigourously, so the buddy next to you can rely on you, it is a war thing, you will not lug a shield with you on a midnight stroll, as you will not take a halberd, both of which are almost exclusively designed for use in formations. This is where rapier stands out, unarmoured and facing unarmoured troops (unless you find yourself having to take on a few curassiers, but you should not have a midnight stroll when the curassiers are after you)
Sam N.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have heard a lot of comments that the combat doesn't change that much with leg targeting, but I think it changes radically.

As mentioned before, striking low is not typically a good idea, if you have equal length weapons. However, with a polearm against a shorter weapon like a sword, there are no problems with compromising range through low targets.

Perhaps to explain what happens in my bouting will help. All the bouts I have seen with sword and shield vs. polearm (of mid size, from say 6' to 8') go like this:

Polearm delivers cut to shield's lower leg.

I have seen many strategies in trying to cope with this, kneeling with your shield protecting your legs (which opens up a nice headshot), pulling your legs back, ala one of the German mastercuts (which then fails because the shieldman STILL can't reach the polearm user) and other such things. In my experience, no counters seem to work if the polearm simply strikes quite low, since that area is difficult to defend effectively for someone who has a shield that is not a tower shield. Even if the shieldman rushes, the polearm simply cuts him in the lower leg before he can even get in distance (the time of the hand is faster than the time of the foot). However, if the polearm attacks high, than it is quite easy to defend against.

So, I can say I would certainly prefer a polearm in open field unarmoured combat (say, in a late 16th Century skirmish). Even in armour, I would choose a poleaxe. In confined spaces, definitely a spear.

I think this is why save for a few notable examples (like a Roman legionary), soldiers across the ages have always been armed with some sort of polearm as a primary weapon (with a shield occasionally) and some sort of sword in case something happens to the polearm (and to carry around town since polearms can be uncomfortable in that respect). Arguably, this even extends to today with the idea of a rifle with a bayonet on it (of course, not a primary weapon anymore, but still following the same principles).

Again, this comes from my experience of padded and weighted simulators while wearing no armour. (However, has anyone taken into account that in SCA combat, one has to hit harder than one would have to with a real weapon? After all, the other guy has to "feel" the hit, which is why you could never pull something of like a slice with a longsword in SCA combat. However, this is assuming that SCA is replicating what I though it was replicating, unarmoured combat with armour for safety. If I am wrong, than please correct me.)
Sam N.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh yeah, also, I heard that reports from battlesites indicate that leg wounds were very common. Does anyone know more? I think it might be relevant to the leg-targeting debate.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison,

You have to consider the context of the discussion. Most of this thread has been about armored fighting in a specific modern sporting system that does some very good things but also has some limitations. However, in my limited experience when you are fighting unarmored with intent the game does change and the bull fighter (strength/power) can be more easily compromised by speed and skill (this I can say with confidence because I'm more on the bull side of things myself). Without armor the game becomes much more about taking and keeping the initiative while changing positioning to avoid attacks and create openings. When the armor is not there it cannot be used to absorb strikes and it becomes a bit more risky to close the way the videos show.

I suspect you're seeing much less avoidance in the videos because the armor is there. The fighters don't have to avoid the blow that armor protects them from and its not like the players are trying to injure each other. To me the nature of the construction we're viewing favors the bull fighter a bit so that is what we see.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advantage of Range
Page 3 of 10 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: