Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advantage of Range Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next 
Sam N.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
As a shield man with any single handed weapon, if my shield broke and I could not find a replacement laying around, I would logically pick up another weapon of the ground. Even if you are not trained as as two-swordman, you can still try to block some incoming cuts. So a second weapon can function as a shield too. It may not be ideal, but it is better then an empty hand. Sorry I don't have anything more historical to offer.

Actually , you'd think so, but having a free hand make grappling a whole lot easier. Not to mention the fact that using two weapons at once is something that seems to be quite rare in European martial traditions. With the exception of two weapons being used in duels and occasionally for show, no author seems to talk about it being used in military engagements (save for one who happened to tell of soldiers using sword and dagger, but I don't think he meant at the same time). Oddly enough though, we seem to have a large history of using a single-handed sword alone as a weapon on the battlefield (consider the sabre), something commonly seen as being "inferior" to two-weapon fighting.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve with a V,

There is a lot a halberd user can do that you didn't mention.

If we are talking about a real, to-the-death, man-on-man engagement, it is my bet that you will see a whole lot of things being attempted and accomplished that are not to be found in any manual. Manuals are guidelines, not set-in-stone rules (otherwise there wouldn't be so many different manuals...), and everyone who fights knows that you can't really learn how to fight from a book.

If you will allow me to use the example of a Edo period Japanese Warrior-monk, or Sohei, who were very well known for Naginata techniques, a fact that eventually led to their eradication at the hands of Oda Nobunaga, starting in 1571, and Tokugawa Ieyasu, ending in 1603. A Naginata is essentially a halberd, or glaive, depending on the Naginata, as I'm sure you will agree. The Sohei, who were very often defeated or disillusioned Samurai, and very organised professional soldiers, were able to create "sections" in an enemy line with the use of very fast turning, with the blade at alternating heights of leg, torso, head, and back again in random patterns. The opponents would not be willing to step inside the circle this created around the Monks, and would be scattered into smaller groups. The Ashigaru, or infantry, and usually armed with Yari, or spears, would then pick off these smaller groups of enemy with far less trouble. (Meanwhile, the Samurai would be facing off in a series of dismounted one-on-ones against other Samurai, or riding around on horses picking off stragglers and heroes with arrows and swords.)

It is true that they wouldn't have faced a Shield and Sword in combination, shields not having been very popular amongst Japanese fighters, but they would have faced many exponents of the School of "Two Skies", famous for the use of a Wakizashi and Katana at the same time, the Wakizashi being used primarily as a blocking tool. Not similar enough, I know...

Now, I realise that Western halberds were used on the battlefield in situations where a turn could hit your comrades as well as your opponents (unless of course the turn was ordered or expected...), but in a one-on-one fight, a turn out of a move such as you described would bring the head of your weapon back around, free, and ready for another series of cuts. A swordsman can jump above a lower leg cut, by the way, this is a fairly basic technique, and one which should be practised. He can also "stamp" the halberd just below the head if he is skilled with feet, and the shock of this to a halberdiers' grip is often enough to lose the weapon for an instant, or it may even force the halberdier to drop the weapon altogether. A good swordsman only needs an instant, as Vassilis will tell you.

Before I started ranting, and nearly went off this off-topic topic, my point was that there is an incredible abundance of techniques and strategies that do not come in manuals. The old masters would have included the fundamentals and intermediate levels only, and from experience with modern masters, I can tell you that they would not have shared everything they knew, except with the successor to their school.

Experimentation is the true path to free expression with a weapon, just as it is with any pursuit.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी

Last edited by Bennison N on Mon 10 Mar, 2008 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I kind of took it for granted that if you had a single handed mace in one hand, you had something in the other hand too. I have certainly seen single handed maces and axes in museums.

At least by the 16th-century, the mace was only (or at least primarily) carried by heavy cavalry. Lance, mace, and sword. I've yet to read a military writer for that age who wanted infantry with maces. By the end of it, the pistol replaced the mace.

Quote:
(save for one who happened to tell of soldiers using sword and dagger, but I don't think he meant at the same time)

Smythe definitely wanted pikemen to fight with their swords and daggers at once. He specifically mentioned the dagger being in the left hand. He also wrote about using a light gun as a makeshift shield. Hold gun in middle, parry, attack with sword.
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Mon 10 Mar, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
There is a lot a halberd user can do that you didn't mention.

Yes, I only gave a few examples--the point was that things aren't always as simple as they seem...

Bennison N wrote:
Before I started ranting, and nearly went off this off-topic topic, my point was that there is an incredible abundance of techniques and strategies that do not come in manuals. The old masters would have included the fundamentals only, and from experience with modern masters, I can tell you that they would not have shared everything they knew.

I don't know, some of them have included a whole lot more than the fundamentals. The biggest example would be Fabris. What he does in book 2 of his treatise is far beyond what any living rapier fencer can do today (at least anyone I know). The Bolognese masters (especially Marozzo and the Anonymous) go quite a bit beyond the fundamentals--unless you consider 5 technique-actions to be fundamental. Of course it isn't possible to put all of your art into a book, some things just require explanation beyond what a text can provide--but we can see many examples of treatises that cover the entirety of an art's techniques: Radaelli, Parise, Rosaroll-Scorza & Grisetti, and probably Marcelli, to name a few. However, the techniques are the beginning and not the end: it is the correct application of techniques rather than more techniques that make the master...

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Bennison N

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve with a V,

I agree wholeheartedly.

I would say it is always wise to stick to the basics unless you are facing someone who has as much, if not more, knowledge of the basics as you do. Then it becomes necessary to adapt and "evolve" the basic fundamentals into something that won't be easily predicted. If they can't predict it, they will not be able to easily block or counter it, and you will win.

This is all fairly obvious and a possible waste of three sentences.

Now... Hearing that there are techniques which, in your opinion, no-one presently living (so far) can perform, is just exactly the type of challenge I like to accept. If possible, would you be able to give me a link to a copy of Fabris' second volume (or a copy), or a similar volume of difficult advanced rapier or arming sword techniques? Since hearing of these manuals, I have managed to only locate excerpts and short copies, and to be perfectly honest, I didn't even know there was a Fabris part two. I am firm in my belief that I can use my personalised custom jian to perform these techniques... eventually. I'm only 30, I have all the time in the world, fate willing. And in any case, it gives me a whole wealth of new techniques to add to my practice and matching, and jianshu experts know jianshu, they may not recognise western styles, which may give me an edge during my next season of matches in Asia (coming soon... I'm trying to build up the holiday pay from work... Haha!).

I can't rely on the shock I cause Asian swordsmen by being the loud-mouthed White Boy with the Chinese Sword forever, right?

In the past, I have watched modern rapier matches, and found them to be what I can only describe as "withheld", as the participants fear accidental or intentional damage far more than I think is acceptable for free and expressive use of weapons. I believe that advanced techniques devised in an age where continuing to exist often relied entirely on your skill with a blade will be far more revealing as to the possibilities... and limits (heaven forbid...).

Is it possible, though, that these apparently near-impossible techniques are merely theories Fabris thought up and put on paper, but never actually tested or practiced? It doesn't matter. I would sincerely appreciate your knowledgeable assistance in acquiring them for my ongoing perfection of my art. You really seem to know a lot about the contents of these manuals... Do you practise them yourself?

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is something funny that struck me when reading more or less at the same time Fabris and Thibault.

What Fabris puts in his "advanced" book two is very close, tactically speaking, to what Thibault seems to consider basic. In both cases, the aim is to attack without leaving the chance for the adversary to take initiative back, by means of blade opposition, quick, decisive advance, and good feeling of what the opponent does to defend himself.

Conversely, what bothers Thibault most is what Fabris does first: attack from a distance with only a little action from the adversary. Thibault calls that "attacks of first intention" and they are treated only after the rest.

I'm not so technically advanced (read not at all Wink ) with the rapier to have an experimental opinion, but could it be that what one considers advanced is specific to one's personal preferences? So that different masters will put the techniques in different orders... For nearly the same final result. Which I'm ready to believe no one knows how to do as of now Happy A bit similar to how Fabris avoids blade contact at all cost, and Thibault is looking for it all the time.

Bennison, if you are interested by Fabris, I really recommend getting Tom Leoni's book. It is well worth its price, and a pleasure to read... There is also a translation of Thibault around, I don't know how good it is, I have the luck of being able to read it in the original language Happy It has been said that it is obscure, but I find the explanations very clear. I'm a geek, sue me Big Grin

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
I'm not so technically advanced (read not at all Wink ) with the rapier to have an experimental opinion, but could it be that what one considers advanced is specific to one's personal preferences? So that different masters will put the techniques in different orders... For nearly the same final result. Which I'm ready to believe no one knows how to do as of now Happy A bit similar to how Fabris avoids blade contact at all cost, and Thibault is looking for it all the time.

Now we're really off topic Wink Anyway, I've thought about the similarities between Book 2 of Fabris and Thibault (Spanish). However, what I don't know how to reconcile is that although there are quite a few fencers who say they've been studying Italian rapier for 10+ years, no one I know can perform the Book 2 as it is written (I've seen a few who claim to do the first technique, but really just rush at the opponent and jam it in). If it is fundamental in Thibault, I would think that there would be someone who can do it.

Steve

Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since the topic is Range... and we are talking about Rapiers....

What rapier blade length do you gentlemen prefer? 36" 40" or something else?

What is your preferred rapier form? singe, dagger, cloak, buckler, case or something else?

My favorite form is case and fight it with a 36" in one hand and a 40" in the other. I usually lead with the 36" and switch up occasionally. I'm also like dagger to a lesser extent. I don't like buckler much. I like single as a warm up or if I want to work on some specific technique. Cloak is too much like single.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since the topic is Range... and we are talking about Rapiers....

What is your preferred rapier form? singe, dagger, cloak, buckler, case or something else?

My favorite form is case and fight it with a 36" in one hand and a 40" in the other. I usually lead with the 36" and switch up occasionally. I'm also like dagger to a lesser extent. I don't like buckler much. I like single as a warm up or if I want to work on some specific technique. Cloak is too much like single.

for "Rapier" (i.e. Fabris, Capoferro, et. al.) I prefer the "standard" Darkwood blade length (~40"-42"). I prefer sword-alone, although I like sword and dagger. The "case" had sort of gone out by the late 1500s--although I understand that it is very popular in the SCA.

Steve

Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well everyone should be aware that the answer is 42 Big Grin
No kidding, my Darkwood rapier has this exact length Wink

A bit short for Thibault according to my stature, but then I don't have that much room around. Too many marks on the walls and ceiling already Wink Now that says something about range...

Steven, I agree with you that it is strange, perhaps Thibault puts his fencer in simplified situations first, when Fabris in his book 2 runs them through the whole range of possibilities at once? I can't say I've seen many fencers doing either personally, and if the Internet is any reflection of the reality there are very few people that study Thibault's system. Either that or Thibault starts with the most difficult thing indeed Happy

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Sam N.

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:
A swordsman can jump above a lower leg cut, by the way, this is a fairly basic technique, and one which should be practised. He can also "stamp" the halberd just below the head if he is skilled with feet, and the shock of this to a halberdiers' grip is often enough to lose the weapon for an instant, or it may even force the halberdier to drop the weapon altogether. A good swordsman only needs an instant, as Vassilis will tell you.

Actually, one of my sparring partners tried jumping over my polearm when a threw a cut to his lower leg. When he jumped, I simply altered the direction of the swing and managed to hit him in mid-air. The second time he tried this, I managed to alter the arc of the swing again during mid swing and hit him where it hurts. Wink However, this was with weighted and padded simulators, so it could be different in real life.

Quote:
Now... Hearing that there are techniques which, in your opinion, no-one presently living (so far) can perform, is just exactly the type of challenge I like to accept. If possible, would you be able to give me a link to a copy of Fabris' second volume (or a copy), or a similar volume of difficult advanced rapier or arming sword techniques? Since hearing of these manuals, I have managed to only locate excerpts and short copies, and to be perfectly honest, I didn't even know there was a Fabris part two. I am firm in my belief that I can use my personalised custom jian to perform these techniques... eventually. I'm only 30, I have all the time in the world, fate willing. And in any case, it gives me a whole wealth of new techniques to add to my practice and matching, and jianshu experts know jianshu, they may not recognise western styles, which may give me an edge during my next season of matches in Asia (coming soon... I'm trying to build up the holiday pay from work... Haha!).

I am sure the techniques would be quite performable if we had a teacher who had been taught them. If Fabris himself demonstrated these techniques, than it would probably be very clear and obvious. However, since all we have is written descriptions (which are adequate in most cases) and an illustration that Fabris himself noted might not be exactly correct, it is quite difficult to learn said advanced technique. There is probably some element to the technique that isn't very apparent from reading the manual. Considering his experience, I want to know what Steven has to say about this.

Quote:
n the past, I have watched modern rapier matches, and found them to be what I can only describe as "withheld", as the participants fear accidental or intentional damage far more than I think is acceptable for free and expressive use of weapons. I believe that advanced techniques devised in an age where continuing to exist often relied entirely on your skill with a blade will be far more revealing as to the possibilities... and limits (heaven forbid...).

In this case, it is probably just a difference in style. The jianshu I have seen (such as by Scott Rodell) is very lively and active, quite like ballet. Rapier (especially 17th Century rapier done in single time) tends to be more grounded, conservative and precise in its actions. I think the reason for this might be the very fact that it was built for a time when losing meant being wounded or dying, which could have led to more conservative actions and a tighter defense. Also, the 17th Century rapier fencing that takes place in single time will by nature look more withheld, but that is due to its subtlety. Both combatants will usually stand in a guard for a while, trying to find the correct tempo to hit the opponent in and to stringere the opponent's blade (finding a line of attack through his defense, although Steven can probably explain this far better than I can). To a crowd, this looks like two people standing doing nothing. Even when the action starts, due to the nature of single time (attack and defense at the same time), the actual fighting only takes a second or two. After that, one combatant (or possibly both) are dead or wounded, or both have missed and retreat out of range to begin the cycle again.

Boring to watch, yes. But lethally effective, after what I have seen, absolutely.

BTW: Do buy Tom Leoni's translation of Fabris, I own a copy. It is a translation of the original manual and does a better job of explaining concepts than most modern guides.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

42 is a good length. I actually cheat the distance on my rapiers so I get about 43" on my long one and 39" on my short one. I have hand and a half grips so I hold them further back. My ring finger goes behind the second tier on the grip. I don't have much hand protection, so holding then further back is key. It also makes the side rings more effective against thrusts. If a tip comes in through a ring it is usually at an angle and hits the grip rather then my hand. I sometimes shift my grip while fencing and might go all the way back to the pommol for a maximum length of 47"..

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bennison N wrote:

The problem isn't that the motions of the techniques are difficult, or that they are even difficult conceptually. The problem is that in order to do them, you have to have completely mastered the technical fundamentals and you have to have complete mastery of tempo and measure.

Bennison N wrote:
In the past, I have watched modern rapier matches, and found them to be what I can only describe as "withheld", as the participants fear accidental or intentional damage far more than I think is acceptable for free and expressive use of weapons. I believe that advanced techniques devised in an age where continuing to exist often relied entirely on your skill with a blade will be far more revealing as to the possibilities... and limits (heaven forbid...).

Actually, I usually see the complete opposite--people charging in with no fear of the opponent's weapon. This works well in a tournament situation which rewards aggressive fencers (look at modern epee), but is not good when a mistake can injure or kill you.

Bennison N wrote:
Is it possible, though, that these apparently near-impossible techniques are merely theories Fabris thought up and put on paper, but never actually tested or practiced? It doesn't matter. I would sincerely appreciate your knowledgeable assistance in acquiring them for my ongoing perfection of my art. You really seem to know a lot about the contents of these manuals... Do you practise them yourself?

I doubt that he put anything in there he couldn't do. I also don't think Book 2 is something you can study in isolation. That is, if you want to learn them, expect to spend 5+ years mastering the stuff in book 1 first (and I think 5 years is extremely optimistic). I have only practiced the first technique each of sword-alone and sword and dagger. That was a few years ago, before I had developed the skill. However, I think that I *might* be ready to look at the 1st sword-alone technique again.

Steve

Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Tue 11 Mar, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered Leoni's book today. I liked the reviews as saw here at My Armory as an easy to understand interpretation. I'm always looking to adding new techniques to my bag of tricks.
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered Leoni's book today. I liked the reviews as saw here at My Armory as an easy to understand interpretation. I'm always looking to adding new techniques to my bag of tricks.

Actually, it's a translation rather than an interpretation, but the absolute best Italian manual of the 1600s (and in the top three or four of all of the treatises).

Steve

Chris Arrington

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing you can't do, is forget that the SCA has rules. And those rules, while needed for safety, don't allow for full realism.

If the shieldman rushes you in real life and you think he's going to get inside of you, drop the pole arm and grapple( and or a secondary weapon (dagger or short hafted weapon)).

That shield is a big lever that will work against its user. And some pretty simple aikido/judo style throws would work very well. You could also insert some of the german historical grappling styles as well.

Will this work every time? No way. But for people (especially SCA trained people, which I myself am one) to think the Polearm User has no option but to die, is far fetched.

From my experience, most SCA Shield users (and I mean a HUGE percentage) rely upon blocking that first shot to get inside. Very few consistently dodge. And has been mentioned, a real polearm is going to do serious damage to that shield, arm, shoulder, when blocking that shot.

Same for the "belly to belly" style of SCA fighting. I doubt that would happen much in real life. You would very quickly see leg trips, shield bashes, hip throws, tackles, and the list goes on.

Rules.... Never forget the Rules. Happy
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Arrington wrote:
One thing you can't do, is forget that the SCA has rules. And those rules, while needed for safety, don't allow for full realism.

If the shieldman rushes you in real life and you think he's going to get inside of you, drop the pole arm and grapple( and or a secondary weapon (dagger or short hafted weapon)).

That shield is a big lever that will work against its user. And some pretty simple aikido/judo style throws would work very well. You could also insert some of the german historical grappling styles as well.

There is no doubt that safety rules reduce realism. That is not just SCA. Live steel has rules too on hitting calibration and target areas. Those guys often don't use face protection. There has to be rules otherwise people would be getting hurt or killed. I am sure that when medieval knights trained their squires they observed restraint too. It is not a good idea to kill ones own squires in training.

One of my complaints with SCA Rapier in the East kingdom is the extremely light hitting calibration. They want touch kills instead of a small bend in the blade. This forces me to fight at a slower speed or I must be at the very edge of my range. This is something takes up thinking resources. In rattan I don't have to devote any thinking power to pulling my shots. In rapier I do, and that is a brain-drain for me.

On the issue of grappling for the polearm, in the East Kingdom they do allow limited grappling. The polearm is allowed to grab the shieldman's shield. In reality I don't think he could grab anything else until he shield is out of the way. He is also more then welcome to drop his polearm and pull a dagger or any other authorized weapon. Its a problem of fencing times for the polearm. As he grabs my shield he just used up his fencing time and he is going to get hit by me. Remember, in SCA Rattan we are all pre-15 th century armored "only in mail". He can't just ignore my my strikes. Reaching for a dagger will use up at least one fencing time too. This is fine if the shieldman not aggressive, but if the shieldman is rushing in and attacking every second counts.

Please don't misunderstand me, by no means do I think that polearms are easy to beat. That is why I fight in the most aggressive manor against them. I have been beaten by polearms plenty of times, but in all cases the skill level and years of experience of my opponent were much greater then my own.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com

Last edited by Bill Tsafa on Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[
One of my complaints with SCA Rapier in the East kingdom is the extremely light hitting calibration. They want touch kills instead of a small bend in the blade. This forces me to fight at a slower speed or I must be at the very edge of my range. This is something takes up thinking resources. In rattan I don't have to devote any thinking power to pulling my shots. In rapier I do, and that is a brain-drain for me.

Here in Ansteorra we allow a bit more in the touch department for French 5 and epee'. Heavy Rapier is different and I never did get my card on that one. But as I see it, it damn hard to call a touch at full speed and often when I did fight other Kingdoms, I was often called on for too much contact. Hey, It's Texas! We do everything Big here.
A light touch to me is not realistic. It can draw blood, yes, but not necessarily kill.

My 1 3/4 cent worth.

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Heavy Rapier is different and I never did get my card on that one. But as I see it, it damn hard to call a touch at full speed and often when I did fight other Kingdoms, I was often called on for too much contact. Hey, It's Texas! We do everything Big here.
A light touch to me is not realistic. It can draw blood, yes, but not necessarily kill.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I had a hard time getting my card because of the occasional "more then touch" hit. Very unrealistic, but those are the rules in my kingdom. Atlantia, which is Virginia/North Carolina, has the best in my opinion. Some people swear the hit like they are using rattan, lol. I had one marshal flip out on me because I jerked his head back last week at practice. They guy was lunging forward when I hit him.

www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Arrington wrote:

There is no doubt that safety rules reduce realism. That is not just SCA.

I'm beginning to wonder if the problem are the rules that exist or the rules that don't...

Might seem paradoxical but it could be possible to enforce a better realism of the actions by choosing rules not just for safety. Rules about which hits count are in this category. Rules that ensure a certain flow of the fight (something like fencing priority) might help too. I mean we aren't going to suppress safety rules so if the fights are unrealistic in some ways, it makes sense to add rules in order to add realism.

There must be a reason why every traditional martial sport with weapons I know of has more rules than just safety.

Of course in order to do that one has to have a good idea of what a real fight with the weapons considered looks like. Which cannot really be settled through safe experimentation because of the rule problem above. So obviously we can go in circles for a while Happy, but in the end the decision will either be based on what the guy that did it tell us (manuals and accounts), or what each of us think it is that should happen, which will remain a matter of opinion. Barring real-life experience which would be the most undesirable of all things.

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Advantage of Range
Page 7 of 10 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: