Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review - Trio of Atrim Maker's Mark XIII'sProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ken Jay

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Review - Trio of Atrim Maker's Mark XIII's         Reply with quote

Over the years my sword collection has never included a type XIII “great sword.” When Gus came out with his new Maker’s Mark line I decided to remedy this deficiency. So I went “whole-hog” and bought three different models – the XIIIA, XIII Flared Shoulders, and the XIII Tripled Fullered. The Atrim Maker’s Mark series are advertised as historically inspired and each of these XIII’s can be referenced to individual swords found in Oakeshott’s “Records of the Medieval Sword.” IMHO, Gus has his take on the interpretation and does very well in capturing the essence of the originals. The Marker’s Mark series shows Gus’ continuing improvement in fit and finish. For instance, these blades show lenticular blade geometry in the non-fullered sections. Although Gus earned his reputation on performance swords, I feel these latest models are at least the equal to Albion’s first generation line in finish – a compliment for sure.

XIII-Flared Shoulders (inspired by the XIIIa.13 in “Records of the Medieval Sword”)
Now this is an interesting and somewhat deceptive blade. The wide flared shoulders and huge pommel tend to make the sword look smaller than it really is. Stout and pugnacious may best describe it. This is a serious cutting blade and begs to make great cleaving blows. Forget thrusting except on exposed “soft parts.” With a close-in POB this XIIIa is really quick and easily maneuvered despite its mass. In striking with the sword, it tracks very well and is a natural tip cutter. Two liter plastic bottles were cut effortlessly. Two hands worked best for me in controlling the blade but I suppose it would be manageable used by a stronger fellow or if you didn’t need to worry about quickly recovering.

Stats
Blade length: 32.7”
Overall length: 43.4”
Blade width at base: 2.5”
Grip length: 8”
Weight: 3lbs, 4oz
POB: 4”
COP: 20.3”

XIIIA (inspired by the XIIIa.5 in “Records of the Medieval Sword”)
Here is a classic XIIIa with a long grip and wide cutting blade. The sword feels authoritative in the hand and lives up to Gus’ description as a “thumper.” As you might expect, this a blade to make decisive cleaving cuts. Again, forget thrusting except on exposed “soft parts.” It tracks naturally and smoothly into the cut and actually does very well in tip cutting. A small horde of two liter plastic bottles fell victim to this sword. With its mass and the POB being a bit further down the blade, the XIIIA was the least lively or easily maneuverable of the three swords. I feel two hands are needed to properly control this sword. Not a negative, it’s what I expected of a XIIIa.

Stats
Blade length: 34.1”
Overall length: 44.3”
Blade width at base: 2”
Grip length: 8”
Weight: 3lbs, 4oz
POB: 6.25”
COP: 23”

XIII-Triple Fullered (XIII.1 in “Records of the Medieval Sword”)
This is the smallest and lightest of the trio and is described as a XIII rather than a XIIIa. The blade is wide and thin making for a vicious cutter. With a short POB this sword handles very quickly and is very maneuverable even using one hand. The blade tracks very well into the cut and sliced two liter plastic bottles as well as the two larger XIIIa’s. The blade tip is more pointed than its companions and has more than passable thrusting capability on soft targets. Finally, the triple fullers just make the blade look really interesting. I hope Gus does more with multiple fullers.

Stats
Blade length: 31”
Overall length: 40”
Blade width at base: 2.3”
Grip length: 7”
Weight: 2lbs, 10oz
POB: 4.8”
COP: 20”

Overall, I’m very pleased with my new XIII’s. It looks like the new Atrim Maker’s Mark line of swords are winners!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Review - Trio of Atrim Maker's Mark XIII'sProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic