Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 1853 Enfield from Nepal Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William C Champlin

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 04 Mar, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: 1853 Enfield from Nepal         Reply with quote

I just got an 1853 three-band Enfield rifle from the cache recently uncovered in nepal. My first impression was " wow".
My next was " wow, this thing is dirty". It appears in better shape than the one pictured on the International Military Antiques website ima-usa.com . The stock is not in pristine shape, having a few small worm holes and a few nicks in it, but it is much nicer than their example. The only real damage that I can see is a slightly bent trigger guard and a bent and somewhat corroded ramrod. The bore looks very good to me. This is a gift to a friend who is in to black powder weapons. I'll see if I can re-size some photos later.
Pretty nice for 150 plus years old, W.

tweetchris
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1853 Enfield from Nepal         Reply with quote

William C Champlin wrote:
I just got an 1853 three-band Enfield rifle from the cache recently uncovered in nepal. My first impression was " wow".
My next was " wow, this thing is dirty". It appears in better shape than the one pictured on the International Military Antiques website ima-usa.com . The stock is not in pristine shape, having a few small worm holes and a few nicks in it, but it is much nicer than their example. The only real damage that I can see is a slightly bent trigger guard and a bent and somewhat corroded ramrod. The bore looks very good to me. This is a gift to a friend who is in to black powder weapons. I'll see if I can re-size some photos later.
Pretty nice for 150 plus years old, W.

I have seen a couple of the Martinis at gun shows and they were in pretty sad condition. I have heard from folks who bought these guns and accessories that overall they are not in very good condition from not being properly stored. However, that is hearsay and it sounds like you may have gotten a good one. I was very interested in the Martinis at first but decided later that I did not want to put that much money into what would be a "pig in a poke".

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
William C Champlin

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: 1853 Enfield         Reply with quote

Here are few pictures of the rifle. Remember it's as delivered with no cleaning yet. I'm giving this as a project to a buddy who is being transferred to a new post. W.

Attachment: 40.76 KB
MVC-140S.JPG

Attachment: 40.39 KB
MVC-138S.JPG

Attachment: 39.58 KB
MVC-137S.JPG

Attachment: 39.4 KB
MVC-136S.JPG

Attachment: 40.65 KB
MVC-139S.JPG

tweetchris
Robin Palmer

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi william.

Nice rifle if in need of a little TLC good luck with that. The photos doesn't show how many bands it has the reason I ask is the 1853 had three the 1859 had two beyond they the were identical.
William C Champlin

PostPosted: Thu 06 Mar, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: 1853 Enfield         Reply with quote

It's a three band. Somehow I managed to miss that detail in my photos. W.
tweetchris
Victor Lavenstein

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, with the huge crop of fake Martinis making the rounds of internet auctions (and being hawked as the genuine article by certain large retailers) the Martinis offered by IMA/Atlanta Cutlery are the best bet, in terms of value and condition, for someone wanting a genuine British-made gun. Most of the purchasers I know have been happy... and in spite of the sellers caveats, the rifles are by and large quite serviceable. The 1880s short levers and Mark IV long-levers are likely to be in the best shape. IMA/AC offer special selection and, best of all... if the gun they send you has problems, you can return it. I received one of the first IMA Martinis... it turned out to be a MK IV with a short lever and butt attached. I sent it back, and received a very nice proper 1886 BSA MKII. These guns do require a certain degree of cleaning, particularly where the bore is concerned. I do not work for IMA/AC and don't mean to sound like a representative, but there are a lot of people buying crudely-made, misshapen, blued-within-an-inch-of-their-lives counterfeits marked VR 1913 ACAC in .303 British, thinking they have the genuine article. Such weapons are made of uncertain materials and without regard to specs and tolerances, are most likely made within the last ten years and are positively dangerous to shoot.
Muskets like the one in this topic, and the Nepalese manufactured Martini copies on offer for under $300 are a different proposition... they are in rough shape, have not been given any initial clean-up and are clearly advertised as such. They are project guns, not for the faint of heart. Unlike the British Martinis, the P53 Muskets, as first offered at around $500, had a reputation for being trashed and not worth the price. I think the current offer is an attempt to clear some of this stock.

Victor

"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson."

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 1853 Enfield from Nepal
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic