Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Viking Age Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nick B.

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: The Viking Age         Reply with quote

For anyone interested in the Viking Age, as I am, here are two very good DVD's on the Vikings.
Nova- The Vikings
Imax - Viking : Journey to New Woulds
They are available on e-bay.
Both show that the Vikings were more then just raiders. More Vikings were farmers, craftmen, traders and artists then were warriors. As shipwrights they built the most superior ships of their times. As sword collectors lets not forget that they not only used those beautiful ornate swords but also built them. As explorers, is what interests me the most about them. Tales say they never sailed out of sight of land and as we all know now, this was not true. They settled Iceland, Greenland and even reached the shores of North America, five hundred years before Columbus.
This picture is proof positive that they even made it as far as my back yard.

Attachment: 127.04 KB
[ Download ]
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have moved this topic to the Off-topic Talk forum.

Please note the description for this forum:

"Discussions of general history and other miscellaneous topics relating to arms and armour that do not specifically fit our other forums"

Thank you.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting rune stone...who made it for you?

I'll have to check those movies out.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nick B.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No, really --it was made by real vikings, maybe even by Leif, son of Eric himself.

Ok--my name isn't Leif and I'm not a real Viking. I was breaking up a large rock that was to heavy to move to build my workshop. This piece came off in a nice dome shape so I had to do something with it. I used a pneumatic cut-off tool with a masonry blade. I have ten acres of land with a lot of large rocks so I'm going to be doing more of these. I'm going to make some exact copies of original Rune stones.
I may not be around for eternity but some of my handy work will be. You can say just leaving my mark on the earth.
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Damn, wish I could do that Big Grin

Make sure you take pictures of them for us.

M.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
S. Christiansen

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks pretty sweet. If you're aiming for Viking age rune stones you should probably be using a variant of the Younger Fuşark, rather than the Elder Fuşark, though. The Elder Fuşark was a Migration period runic alphabet, used by Germanic tribes for the Proto-Norse language, whereas the Younger Fuşark was used for the Old Norse language in Scandinavia from around year 800.
Regards,

Sonni
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Feb, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick B. wrote:
No, really --it was made by real vikings, maybe even by Leif, son of Eric himself.

Ok--my name isn't Leif and I'm not a real Viking. I was breaking up a large rock that was to heavy to move to build my workshop. This piece came off in a nice dome shape so I had to do something with it. I used a pneumatic cut-off tool with a masonry blade. I have ten acres of land with a lot of large rocks so I'm going to be doing more of these. I'm going to make some exact copies of original Rune stones.
I may not be around for eternity but some of my handy work will be. You can say just leaving my mark on the earth.

Very cool. You might even think about making it a hobby that pays for itself... Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

S. Christiansen wrote:
Looks pretty sweet. If you're aiming for Viking age rune stones you should probably be using a variant of the Younger Fuşark, rather than the Elder Fuşark, though. The Elder Fuşark was a Migration period runic alphabet, used by Germanic tribes for the Proto-Norse language, whereas the Younger Fuşark was used for the Old Norse language in Scandinavia from around year 800.

I had expressed interest in the runes a few years back. Preferred the elder Futhark personally, as those are the ones given by Odin Big Grin.

M.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The Viking Age
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic