Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pattern-welded 7th century sword from Paul Binns. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Hugo Voisine

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 16 Feb, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome sword Darrin, congratulations !

Quote:
[...] point of balance is 7.5 inches from the guard.

Wow, now that's something... Did you try swinging it outdoor a bit ? How is the recovery time after a strike ?

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Feb, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Hugo.

The sword is not what you would call fast, given the lack of mass in the hilt, but the grip is very comfortable and so it isn't as much of a chore to swing as you might think despite the weight. What I have found is that you can bring the sword back around quite quickly if you reverse your hand and swing back in the direction that you just came from. The main thing is to do this all in one motion rather than trying to stop and then bring the sword back. It helps that the grip is quite meaty and the waisted shape helps to centre your hand so it doesn't slide around or knock into the upper or lower guards.

Cheers,
Darrin.
S. Christiansen

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darrin Hughes wrote:
Hello Sonni.

We're talking about something based on one of the Kragehul bog swords. (Example 3 in the pre-cursors section of Records..). Paul is talking to a silversmith friend of his about having the hilt made, as it is silver over a wooden core, and we are waiting to see if he is up for it. And how much it would cost.
The blade is an interesting one in that the pattern-welding consists of 4 narrow bundles and we've talked about the possibilty of alternating, or perhaps mirroring the pattern, with some twisted sections, and some piled.
I've also asked about a Dane Axe, but the sword is the main project, with Paul hopefully doing the blade and his mate doing the hilt. I certainly hope that we can make this happen as it should be really impressive.

Cheers,
Darrin.

ps, I had the chance to check out some of his spear-heads when I picked up my sword and I don't imagine that you will be disappointed.

Hi Darrin,

I recently gained interest in migration period swords, so that sounds really interesting. I've never seen a replica with silver covered hilts, not even the one Albion made. I think it will look great though, and I'm probably not the only one, so be sure to let us know about any updates on it.

I haven't seen any of Paul's spearheads, other than the pattern welded one on his site, but I'm sure he'll do a good job. He sounded quite confident about it as well.

Regards,

Sonni

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Pattern-welded 7th century sword from Paul Binns.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: