Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > opinions on heavy vs. light swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Robin Palmer

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Being serious when discussing arms and armour is no sin in fact I find people who do not take it seriously annoying so please be serious besides a serious question promotes good debate and advances our understanding of our interest.

Heavy or light is a question which has been argued since man picked up the first stick and whacked his nabour over the skull. I have used swords for thirty years in re-enactment made them for twenty plus handled numerous origionals over the years. Various people have made a very good case concerning the somewhat inaccurate press on medieval weapons I would only add a couple of points for consideration.

referance the apparant weight difference between european and oriental weapons I suspect it has a lot to do with armour development weapons are designed to combat the defences the users faces. On the whole asian armour was lighter rarely developing to the extent european did. Not least because of climate tropical jungles and deserts do not mix well with plate armour thus weapons did not need to be so heavy.

I would point out that the katana we see today is the product of the shoganate and the urbanization of the samurai. historically the standard katana has had blades up to 42 inches long many a meter long are held in shrines. These would handle completly differently to the ones we see today especially as the Katana has no pommel in the westen sense to counter the long blade.

Plate armour beyond giving better protection against kinetic enegy strikes than mail it is in fact easyier and cheaper to make sheet plate than mail where the metal has to be drawn into wire then linked.

One last point which is often overlooked in this argument is balance. Take two swords of identical weight one has point of balance 6 fingers down blade the other three the difference is considerable effecting handling speed and strike. i have been making swords for twenty years and the one thing i have learned is that without proper balance the best looking sword is an iron bar. I have seen and handled a lot of beautifully finished swords that have been totaly ruined by lack of attention to balance. Beyond allowing free movement and rapid response to attacks proper balance increases strike by creating the right movement to focus the available enegy on target.

As to which is better heavy or light neither as always the middle ground is the way to go light enough to use easily heavy enough to deliver the strike needed.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

(Dangerously close to a samurai vs knight thread, but I'll toss in my personal view on contrasting weapon types and by the same token time periods) Happy

One thing to consider is that a weapon used two handed will have a diferent "feeling" than a single handed weapon. This can get over looked. I think that in looking at the development of armor and weapons over time, one can see that both constantly evolved to match each other. When one became good, the other became better, and then the prior caught up and forced the other to do the same. Any sword or armor was great at the time of its invention, as were the weight and style of weapons. Hindsight is 20/20, so one just can't compare any time frame, style, region, or methodology against ANY other without loosing the integrity of the history of the arms race. From sticks and stones, to ICBM's and kevlar, picking any two to compare agaist the other just dosent work no matter how close in time they are. Even 20 years apart is the differance between a single fire bolt action and a gas operated 30round standard issue rifle. One wouldn't think about comparing the two, so even if its sabre vs scimitar, they can't be contrasted for performance agaist each other.

On a side note, I did see a cute samurai vs knight video on youtube the other day. It wasn't made to proove anything, but it was funny to watch as sheer horsing around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDV5fontZbc&feature=related

The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Palmer wrote:

I would point out that the katana we see today is the product of the shoganate and the urbanization of the samurai. historically the standard katana has had blades up to 42 inches long many a meter long are held in shrines. These would handle completly differently to the ones we see today especially as the Katana has no pommel in the westen sense to counter the long blade.

I think you are confusing the term "katana" for the term "daito" here.

According to the traditional Japanese definition, any sword with a blade longer then two shaku (about two feet) is a daito, or long sword. The earlier, longer daito you are referring to are known as tachi. They are not, strictly speaking, katana.

As for temple swords, I believe they were exceptions to certain regulations and could be made much longer since that made for better offerings and, besides, they often weren't supposed to be used anyway. One of them is about three meters long in total; easily the longest sword I have ever heard of.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Robin,

Robin Palmer wrote:
referance the apparant weight difference between european and oriental weapons I suspect it has a lot to do with armour development weapons are designed to combat the defences the users faces. On the whole asian armour was lighter rarely developing to the extent european did. Not least because of climate tropical jungles and deserts do not mix well with plate armour thus weapons did not need to be so heavy.

That's not entirely true. Plate armour most definately existed in Asian countries. The Japanese, for instance, certainly made use of it, particularly after they met Europeans and adopted the European style cuirass in, I believe, the 16th century. Many Japanese full plate harnesses are heavier than many European full plate harnesses (and vice versa, of course).

Quote:
I would point out that the katana we see today is the product of the shoganate and the urbanization of the samurai. historically the standard katana has had blades up to 42 inches long many a meter long are held in shrines.

It depends greatly on many factors, including time period. Some were indeed longer, some were shorter. I wouldn't make any generalizations about the "standard" katana (since, over history, there really wasn't such a standard).

Quote:
These would handle completly differently to the ones we see today especially as the Katana has no pommel in the westen sense to counter the long blade.

The pommel isn't necessary if the blade is made correctly.

Quote:
Plate armour beyond giving better protection against kinetic enegy strikes than mail it is in fact easyier and cheaper to make sheet plate than mail where the metal has to be drawn into wire then linked.

Actually, that only becomes true once you get to the age of steel presses. Today it is easier to make plate because we can buy a pre-made sheet. Making a helmet in the 10th century, however, was a different story.

Quote:
As to which is better heavy or light neither as always the middle ground is the way to go light enough to use easily heavy enough to deliver the strike needed.

That's also a really big generalization... heavy, light, and in-between swords existed throughout history for many reasons.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Chase S-R

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

have you ever worn armour?????????? chain-mail to me is more restrictive than plate armour as its weight is un distributed. leather armour is light but can also be restrictive. in duelling a single opponent less armour is wise however in battle there are mmany men and projectiles in battle the best fighters do not always win as often pure chance dictates who lives and dies. and more armour will protect you from more. as for swords 3 lbs of balenced weight feels like little more than a willow wand, try holding an albion hollow ground blade and you will see what i mean. there is a large fallacy that a heavy sword helps in cutting but it does not as it weakens your arm. the best cutter is a very thin sword quite litterally paper thin. but width from edge to edge does help. viking sword s are notorius for being heavy but this is also not true as the long fuller helps to lighten the sword for the wrist movements in this style of fighting. when you said asian swords are light you were wrong in the sense atleast as far as china the early chineese sword that i have is an authentic one and easly the heaviest in my collection. Eek!
Charles Stewart Rodriguez
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's the age-old Hollywood stereotype (or should I say, Victorian?). At least this member has taken the first step into not believing it anymore Big Grin

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just thought I'd chime in on the katana weight issue, being a "just add water" expert on Japanese swords. Happy

I've had the opportunity to handle upwards of a hundred antique katana ranging from the early koto period to the showa period, and a fair number have passed through my hands. Katana tend to fall into the same spectrum as the lighter European swords, usually under 3lbs (in my experience less than 2.5). There are exceptions, of course, but if in doubt, go lighter.

My gendai is considered heavy by modern practicioners and is a hair under 2.5lbs. Katana tend to have COGs at the upper range of what many of us are used to (mine is 5"), though certainly not as far out as some of the early period European cut oriented swords I've had the priveledge of handling, so a katana that weighs 3.5lbs could feel like a monster (like the Hanwei W&T...I've never handled an antique that felt that heavy).

When considering the weight of antiques, however, it is important to keep in mind that a katana or tachi will have gone through several polishes throughout its working life. Several of the koto pieces I've handled have been polished so many times that the core steel showed up in the hada (grain). I owned a koto wakizashi that had this. The point is, koto swords (really old katana) were a bit heavier than they are today. The same is true to a lesser extent of more recent antiques.

Oh, and I've never seen an antique nihonto with a 42" blade. Ceremonial swords existed on both sides of the pond, though. The longest blade I've ever seen on a real katana was under 30". Longer swords existed, of course, but not by much (and we're not counting katana-like pole arms such as the no-dachi).

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/

Last edited by Michael Edelson on Sun 10 Feb, 2008 7:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chase S-R wrote:
have you ever worn armour?????????? chain-mail to me is more restrictive than plate armour as its weight is un distributed.

My experience with mail has been very different from yours, as I have not found mail to be restrictive in the slightest. Restrictive means that it interferes with your movement, as in provides an obstacle to the full range of motion of your body. As mail is completely flexible, the obstacle it provides to full range of motion is mostly all in the tailoring (meaning that a badly fitted hauberk can restrict motion, while a properly fitted hauberk shouldn't). Also, the weight of mail, when worn correctly, is distributed evenly between the shoulders and waist. While plate does distribute weight better, a shoulders/waist split is far from cumbersome. Wearing mail incorrectly, with all the weight on your shoulders, is indeed cumbersome and very uncomfortable.

I'm not an expert on mail, so perhaps heavier hauberks with thicker rings might offer a lot more restriction, but I haven't had experience with anything like that. The best and most accurately reproduced mail I've handled had no more restriction than the import hauberks I own.

Plate, on the other hand, no matter how good, cannot match the full range of motion of a limber human body. Try doing yoga in a plate harness and you'll see what I mean. Properly articulated plate offers a tremendous range of motion, much much more than is commonly believed possible, but even the best plate cannot match mail in its flexibility. You can do yoga in mail, if you're strong enough.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, I'm not sure how historical it was but if I am using barrowed chain (i.e. not very well fitted for me), I found that some leather lines weaved in through the chain around the chest and waist makes it fit a lot better and easier to deal with.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
You know, I'm not sure how historical it was but if I am using barrowed chain (i.e. not very well fitted for me), I found that some leather lines weaved in through the chain around the chest and waist makes it fit a lot better and easier to deal with.

Tightens the chest area.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
When considering the weight of antiques, however, it is important to keep in mind that a katana or tachi will have gone through several polishes throughout its working life. Several of the koto pieces I've handled have been polished so many times that the core steel showed up in the hada (grain).

Speaking of that, is steel removed evenly along the whole blade in the re-polish process, or does that create a taper as well as a diminution of weight?

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Michael Edelson

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:
When considering the weight of antiques, however, it is important to keep in mind that a katana or tachi will have gone through several polishes throughout its working life. Several of the koto pieces I've handled have been polished so many times that the core steel showed up in the hada (grain).

Speaking of that, is steel removed evenly along the whole blade in the re-polish process, or does that create a taper as well as a diminution of weight?

The steel should be removed evenly and the existing distal taper maintained. However, I'm sure that this is not always the case, as some people have always been better than others at doing what they are supposed to do.

One of the reasons the apprenticeship for polishers in Japan is so long is that a polisher must learn what is appropriate for what school(of sword making) and what time period.

www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
Robin Palmer

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bill I consider myself duly picked up. generalizations are not a good idear. I was aware of the European style armours in 16th century Japan but feel that my statement in general stands. Generaly middle eastern and oriental armour was lighter than European. I agree they were more than capable of making plate and some did but the full harness seen in Europe did not appear. Even in japan plate only appeared after the Spanish introduced it and did not even begin to replace traditional styles. I believe the main reason why the Japanese did not embrace plate earlier may well be due to the fact Japan is not an iron rich country as I understand it the best swords were always made with imported iron.

The term lighter may be wrong the Otterman turks had ample access to European plate yet preferred to use mail and fabric defences which was better suited to the climate, the same in India both peoples had highly developed metal working skills. It is fact that steel imported from India to Britain in the early 1800s was considered superior to all but the best made in Britain at the time.

On the matter of swords I bow to superior knowledge I do not claim to be an expert on the Japanese sword my statements are based on what I have read. I read somewhere that during the conquest of the north island swords became longer up to 42 inch and were referred to as Moor swords. I am more than happy to be corrected.

As to my statement on plate being easyier and cheaper to make than mail I stand by it the man who made it to me was a blacksmith of fifty years experience. Plate is a matter of forging sheet which is not rocket science all you require is a good team of strikers plus medieval smiths used water powered hammers to ease the work. With mail the smith has to forge the metal into a bar then draw it down a long and time consuming process requiring repeated passes through the formers. It then requires winding into rings and linking a much longer process than forging and shaping a sheet. Plus requiring more equipment and skilled labour to create the end product. In Europe rising labour costs were an important factor in the middle ages one which saw huge changes many underestimated.
Robin Palmer

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Anders as i understand it the temple swords fall into two classes those made specifically for donation to a temple rather like the Greeks used to dedicate especially made shields. The second were blades captured or family blades given to dedicate a victory. The key is that whichever type once given to the temple they were outside the normal rules and protected so when the Shoganate decreed that swords be cut down to certain length they escaped. As a result they are as made providing a accurate reference of the history of the sword.
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Chase S-R wrote:
have you ever worn armour?????????? chain-mail to me is more restrictive than plate armour as its weight is un distributed.

My experience with mail has been very different from yours, as I have not found mail to be restrictive in the slightest. Restrictive means that it interferes with your movement, as in provides an obstacle to the full range of motion of your body. As mail is completely flexible, the obstacle it provides to full range of motion is mostly all in the tailoring (meaning that a badly fitted hauberk can restrict motion, while a properly fitted hauberk shouldn't). Also, the weight of mail, when worn correctly, is distributed evenly between the shoulders and waist. While plate does distribute weight better, a shoulders/waist split is far from cumbersome. Wearing mail incorrectly, with all the weight on your shoulders, is indeed cumbersome and very uncomfortable.

That's quite true, though I can see how someone could also be mislead about mail if they had only been exposed to a poor example.

My first set of mail was made by one of the many mail armourers you can probably find online, much of which is intended for SCA combat. Made with 14g galvanized steel butt-rings, the hauberk alone weighs over 40 lbs (18kg), and even with much of the weight lifted to the hips, it remains oppressively heavy on the shoulders in my opinion, as compared to hauberks that weigh even just a little less. Additionally, because the sleeves are slanted at a 45 degree angle down from the shoulders and it's not at all properly tailored, lifting the arms requires lifting most of the weight of the hauberk. This example is horribly inaccurate from a historical context in multiple ways of course, but I can see how someone might be lead to believe that mail is restrictive and cumbersome if this had been their only example from which to base an opinion.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Chris Arrington

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
As to my statement on plate being easyier and cheaper to make than mail I stand by it the man who made it to me was a blacksmith of fifty years experience. Plate is a matter of forging sheet which is not rocket science all you require is a good team of strikers plus medieval smiths used water powered hammers to ease the work. With mail the smith has to forge the metal into a bar then draw it down a long and time consuming process requiring repeated passes through the formers. It then requires winding into rings and linking a much longer process than forging and shaping a sheet. Plus requiring more equipment and skilled labour to create the end product. In Europe rising labour costs were an important factor in the middle ages one which saw huge changes many underestimated.

Not to take the side of either of the posters here, but the issue during this period is not one of crafting either plate or mail. Its the issue of how the steel/iron is produced (bloomery or blast furnace). Plate IS easier, at least in regards to manpower and cost, but to do so you must have a large enough piece of steel to do so, and in the quantity needed.

The early bloomery process produced relatively smaller pieces of steel ( really iron, but I'll call it steel for simplicity), but as time went on and furnaces got larger and effectively became blast furnaces, larger pieces of steel became more common.

So once the raw materials were available, the advancement from mail to plate became easier.

I figure most of you have read "The Knight and the Blast Furnace". But another great read for everyone interested in steel production is "The Making, Shaping, and Treatment of Steel", published thru the years by US Steel. Covers steel production and techniques from a smith with a forge up thru modern production methods.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
As far as the fast eastern swords goes...umm I'd hardly consider the dao a very fast sword (despite what you see in movies...or at wushu shows). The jians aren't particularly fast. The korean hawngdodeangdo (or however your gonna spell that in english) certainly wasn't fast. Or by asian swords do you mean katana...in which case, I think you bit the hype.

I'm sorry to have to go back to this, but I really do have to disagree with this statement.

It's true that the movie and wushu demo dao are ridiculously lightweight, and made from "floppy" metal, unsuitable for real matches. But... I have a 1.5kg Dao that I can move very, very fast with, even keeping to the traditional form. It's a question of practise. I won't even begin to describe the near countless cases of wrist strain but I will mention the nice 3 inch long scar running down my left ribs from the hours I practised to get that fast.

And my Han Dynasty Jian is even faster. I gave up the Tai Ji, Tong Bei, Pak Mei and Ba Gua Jianshu forms long ago, and concentrated on practising in matches with wooden replicas. And I have beaten Japanese kendoka (and a claimed "Shinobi no Battojutsu" student) in Japan, Chinese jianshujia in China, and Korean Kumdo exponents in organised matches here in New Zealand, usually using a five point "kill" system and as much as "best 16 out of 30" . I believe the reason for this is the defense I spent years on, and the speed and accuracy I developed by practising as fast as I could with up to 15kg arm and leg weights on, often causing myself minor injuries at first, but improving my technique tenfold. The weights also helped me with my Iaijutsu and Kenjutsu, for which I find an outlet in competitive and challenge Kendo and Kumdo and judged Iaijutsu demos.

Which brings me to the Japanese swords, being that Kumdo (from Korea) is nearly identical in every way to Kendo. I doubt you can find a quicker sword movement than a 20-year Master's Iai draw. The use of a katana IS fairly slow, given that there is really only 8 angles for both cut and thrust, and that the finish generally relies on a powerful stroke. But you DO really have to acknowedge that Iai draw. The speed is sometimes quicker than the eye can follow.

I really don't understand why European and Asian sword techniques have to be compared incessantly, rather than adopted into a single system. Someone is going to do it eventually...

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
David Beams

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

new poster here. I've been into swords for a little over a year and have been reading these forums for a while (i've been posting at SBG for some time... 'david')

Anyway. Interesting discussion here. What i would like to know more about is people's personal preference when it comes to weights and balances of specific types of swords, especially swords that they own or have handled extensively enough to form solid opinions on.

for example, if someone has lots of experience with viking swords do you tend to prefer lighter ones (maybe under 2.5lbs or something) with a balance point far down the blade (maybe 6" or more...) or heavier ones with slightly closer balances? (i'm just pulling those numbers off the top of my head... hopefully you get the idea though Happy )

but what do you guys think in terms of handling and/or effectiveness as related to weight and balance? (again answers will likely be personal preferences... )

my experience is pretty limited. i own a Gen2 Witham River Viking, which i love, but its around 3lbs with a balance about 6" down the blade... so, while i don't have much experience with other viking blades, i know that there are MANY better handling one's out there (hopefully i'll own some of them one day soon too Happy )

I'm also waiting on an atrim 1566 from the 'pay off the machine sale'. while i havn't handled it yet, it seems pretty interesting in terms of weight and balance too since its pretty light for a sword its size (36" blade 48" overall and under 3lbs with a balance of like 5.5" or so). what do you guys think of something like that compared to a heavier sword of the same type (XIIa or XIIIa) with, perhaps, a closer balance? i've briefly handled an atrim 1319 which seems pretty similar to what i'm expecting from the 1566 - it was very fast in two hands and a great light cutter - but could 'war swords' that were this light be as effective on the battlefield as one's heavier by at least half a pound?

sorry for the rambling on my first post... Happy hopefully it'l spark some discussion
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Beams wrote:
but what do you guys think in terms of handling and/or effectiveness as related to weight and balance? (again answers will likely be personal preferences... )

I seem to have a rather split perception of mass repartition and mass amount. That is, I tend to judge both separately, and I focus far more on how the mass is distributed than on how much mass there is...

How the mass is distributed influences the flow of my movements, the rythm or the level of comfort when doing fencing motions. I have not found an absolute favourite in mass repartition alone, but the differences are clear, as is how different mass repartitions are suited to different moves. I have found that these effects can be quantified by measuring pivot points on the sword, which can be helpful when buying online.

The actual mass value just tells me how quickly I will be exhausted Happy It is very much an effect over the long run.

I experienced this when I bought a new boken in September. It is nearly twice the weight of the one I had before... and yet I got used to it quickly, and have been able to practice almost as before. Except that I get tired earlier, but I bought it, in part, for this reason Wink

I find it very hard to even compare the masses of two objects without scales, when the masses are relatively close. I am nearly unable to compare from memory, without having the possibility to handle both at the same time. So I personally think that the importance of mass is a bit overblown; as long as the sword's weight is in the right ballpark for its size, it's the repartition of that mass that will account for most of my perception.

In the end I would not be able to say "I prefer this mass with this balance, or this other mass with this other balance". For me the only meaningful comparison is between mass repartitions, the rest is masked by these.

The bottom line is that there is more in people's mind than just weight when they hear "heavy vs. light swords". Unfortunately, it is difficult to obtain data about the mass of a significant number of swords, and it is even more difficult to find data about mass repartition in swords (from all over the world, to make things worse). I mean the center of gravity itself is rarely measured, and it is not even sufficient on its own to get to any meaningful conclusion... It's not really opinions we would need at this stage, it's facts.

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Tue 12 Feb, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, in general, my experience is that light swords are more responsive and agile; you can partially compensate for a higher weight with a Point of Balance close to the cross, but a lighter sword does not need this.
In my experience a blade in the 2 pound range is actually better of with a PoB a bit forward, to retain blade presence.

However, weight is just one property of a sword. But in general, you want your sword to be as light as the other properties allow.
If I have the choice of two 85 cm blade striking swords, I'll go with the lightest. Same if I have the choice of two diamond section hand a halfs with blades stiff enough to stab at armour, or two katana of similar measurements.

(and, oh, I have worn armour. For days on end. Running after pesky unarmoured sword and buckler-men, and catching them. And, oh, being lightly armored in a duel is a really, really bad idea...)

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > opinions on heavy vs. light swords
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: