Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Alchem Inc. Safeflex Broadsword Blade Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam N.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 06 Jan, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Alchem Inc. Safeflex Broadsword Blade         Reply with quote

I am considering purchasing this blade as an alternate blade for my rapier in order to do more cut oriented fencing (George Silver). My current rapier is made to fit a schlager blade, so looking at the dimensions of the Safeflex blade, it seems like I can simply put it onto my current rapier's hilt.

My question is how does it handle? Is it exceptionally flexible? Too flexible perhaps? also it says the shoulder of the tang is 1/2" by 1/2" by 1", does this mean the shoulder is 1/2" wide and thick? Because that seems rather thick for a tang Eek!.
Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I once tried the alchem swords...I didn't liked them. They were way too flexible and quite heavy. CAS Iberia has a schlager blade model made for the hanwei rapiers wich are reallu cool for fencing practice, I think you better should lokk to that issue.

http://casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=OH1061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sam N.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marc-Antoine Jean wrote:
I once tried the alchem swords...I didn't liked them. They were way too flexible and quite heavy. CAS Iberia has a schlager blade model made for the hanwei rapiers wich are reallu cool for fencing practice, I think you better should lokk to that issue.

http://casiberia.com/product_details.asp?id=OH1061

Well, that would be fine, problem is though, I already have a schlager blade for rapier (as much as I desire to get a more accurate rapier simulator). What I need is a wider blade for cutting work. The Alchem Safeflex Broadsword blade happens to fit the dimensions of my hilt perfectly and is a broadsword blade made for cutting and thrusting.

I have heard in the past that their products were too flexible, but I was curious if this blade might be different. Has anyone had experience with this specific model?

(P.S. Thanks for the advice anyway Jean Happy.)
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Too flexible compared to what, I wonder. These are supposed to be extremely flexible sword foils, not blunts. You're not going to be able to execute as many historical wards and attacks with these compared to blunts, but that's not the point.

I owned a Safeflex dagger from Alchem and really liked the design. It was only historical-ish and wouldn't bear even passing resemblance to an original in terms of weight and balance, but it was great fun for sparring. Basically, the Safeflex design is just a triangular sheet of flexible steel with a mid-rib stamped into its forte (you see a fuller on one face, a rib on the other). That keeps the forte very stiff and functional while leaving the foible like a noodle. So, you can safely thrust with speed, power and lethal range and still parry with your forte.Can't do that with a wooden dowel/waster. The Safeflex sword blades seem to be of thicker stock but of the same design. I suspect these would be lots of fun, but not what you'd want (exclusively) if you're doing serious WMA study.

At $60 each, it's worth a try. If you can swap it out with a sharp for solo drills, test cutting, etc., so much the better. That would remind you of the significant handling differences. But for energetic just-for-kicks backyard sparring? Sure. I wouldn't hesitate to get a couple and hilt them simply. It'd be a very cool project, maybe especially to help novices learn footwork, judge range, wards, etc, without fear of them crushing somebody's throat or fracturing fingers because they forgot to pull a hit. You'd still need mask, gorget, cup and gauntlets with these, of course. Imagine somebody thrusting a metal ruler into your face. The tips are rolled, but you'll probably still want one of their bird blunts.

If you get one, let us know how you like it.

By the way, I was very pleased with the customer service from Alchem. They made custom changes to my purchases without extra charge.

This is what we're talking about folks:

http://www.alcheminc.com/safeflexrapiers.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should point out that Alchem also has regular blunt blades of the same general dimensions for $75 if you wanted something analogous to a schläger blade.
-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sam N.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jan, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought about buying something like a Darkwood Armoury DA4, but those don't seem to fit the hilt.

The main reason I want the Safeflex Broadsword blade is because it has (or at least seems to have) a false ricasso. My hilt (a Pappenheimer) can only mount blades with a false ricasso. The rapier group I am with also does George Silver and so I need a wider blade to go along with my thinner schlager. This is mainly to save on cost (a single hilt, but two blades). Unfortunately, if the forte only goes as far as the rib, then the foible seems a bit to long for my taste and for the sake of accuracy.

However, for a dagger the design is excellent and I do plan on getting one of those soon.

Are the blunt blades you speak wide enough (more than 1") to simulate a cutting sword yet fit into a schlager opening? In that case, I would certainly like to search for these blades.

Also, thanks for the advice Sean.
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 08 Jan, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My only other experience with Alchem blades is with their own schläger blade--this was long before they added all these new designs. All I know of the others is what I read on their site. Again, they're very helpful folks, and would probably be happy to answer any technical questions you might have.
-Sean

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Alchem Inc. Safeflex Broadsword Blade
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic