Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > possible modification on my lee enfield+ questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

I mentioned the Mauser as it is not as easily manipulated as the SMLE. Therefore I was just being a very BIASED smart arse!
So therefore, I was just alluding to the fact that I doubt a Mauser would be capable of that amount of rnds in rapid fire?
With a little practice, some coke bottles or bowling pins as targets, I think most SMLE users could do 35 in a minute no worries.
Left handers may find it difficult?

If all your ammo is properly assorted in there clips. And you have your clips ready by your side, it can be done and has been.

Cheers

N

I am aware that the Brits did not use Mausers. However, in your post you alluded to Mausers without an explanation.

I also understand the concept of the "mad minute", which survived into the Vietnam era. I just have to admit that getting off that many rounds using a bolt action with stripper clips is quite a feat.
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK

I admit it! I reenact 1st AIF ( Australian Imperial Forces) 15th Bat. But I really dont get too shoot much. But I have practiced the mad minute with dud rounds.
With blanks its impossible! They jam.
And Im a Aussie! Off coarse I can do it! I shot my first SMLE when I was around 9 yrs old.

Thanks

Nick
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick Trueman wrote:
OK

I admit it! I reenact 1st AIF ( Australian Imperial Forces) 15th Bat. But I really dont get too shoot much. But I have practiced the mad minute with dud rounds.
With blanks its impossible! They jam.
And Im a Aussie! Off coarse I can do it! I shot my first SMLE when I was around 9 yrs old.

Thanks

Nick

I have a Lithgow SMLE myself, 1940 date. I also have a DOT 44 Mauser. Both these guns are original military with no modifications. I don't find the SMLE any quicker than the Mauser, although I do not do the "mad minute" stuff with live or dummy rounds. But, side by side, I can discern no major difference in my ability to cycle the action of either gun. And, while I am not necessarily an advocate for Mauser actions, I think it is interesting that the Mauser was adopted by so many other countries in the last century while the Enfield seems confined to Commonwealth and former Commonwealth nations. One also has to look at the number of commercial rifles with Mauser actions v. Enfield. There is no comparison there.

All that being said, I like my SMLE and also have three No. 4s, which I like very much too. And, although of a different era, I have one of the Australian L1-A1s which is a very nice rifle, although awfully heavy, and it too is a fine piece of machinery.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

Yes Mauser actions are very strong, I agree. And many countries did adopt the mauser, that is also very true. But the SMLE though it has a weaker action ( But strong enough off coarse for the pressures of the .303 rnd ) Is a much faster cycling rifle.
I have a Spanish Mauser and a Mod 17 .30-06. Both of coarse have mauser actions. And I can tell you now, theres no way I could pump out as many rounds as I can with a SMLE. The bolt action is just to slow. I wont bother explaining why, theres tons of info on the net as to the reasons for this ( plus its 345 am in the morn here! Just finished night shift)

Now one thing to remember is that from onset of ww1, the SMLE only underwent small modifications. By the end of the war the No1 MkIII* was to see use without change right up until the Korean war ( Australian army ) The No4 was only adopted by most commonwealth forces in ww2 due to easier and cheaper manufacture. Commonwealth countries on the outset of ww2
were hard pressed just to supply there own troops with .303 rifles. And they had no interest in selling SMLES or No4's to other countries. This would explain why the SMLE stayed a British empire military rifle.

Im tired, sorry if this makes no sense, I will reply tomorrow with a better explanation on the cocking of both rifles.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sat 15 Dec, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"I have a Lithgow SMLE myself, 1940 date. I also have a DOT 44 Mauser. Both these guns are original military with no modifications."

Yes I have about 12 rifles, about 5 WW1 SMLE's , a 1945 Lithgow No1 MkIII* , two No 4's ( Savage) A Mod 1917 or P17,
Portugeuse Mauser ( sorry wrote Spanish last night ) A L'E 1* or longtom, and a Martini Enfield.

Mine are all original military spec also, with matching numbers. I dislike sporterised military rifles immensely!

My favorite is my Litthgow No1 MkIII dated 1916. Made from Queensland maple. Shoots well too.

Cheers

Nick

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > possible modification on my lee enfield+ questions
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: