Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Valkyrja Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Addison C. de Lisle

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 19 May, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen W wrote:
I may be wrong but I suspect that with such a massive bronze guard and an apparently bronze grip that a solid bronze pommel may be unnecesary and in fact overbalance the blade. That is of course assuming that these elements are not hollow themselves.

I think that I read somewhere that the grip for the original sword is hollow - I don't remember hearing anything about the pommel though.

And I am amazed that there are only 25 left of the Valkryja model....that was quick Eek!

www.addisondelisle.com
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Mon 19 May, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe Peirce mentions a hollow pommel or two doesn't he? And I believe there's one in one of my Peter Finer catalogues, too. I'll double-check.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 22 May, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been eyeing this up ever since someone posted it under favorite 1 handed sword... I talked to Mike at Albion and yes, there aren't many left... So I may as well make this my only viking sword I collect... Hate to miss this one. So I just ordered......
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having seen and wielded two different Valkyrjas at Kult of Athena, it is truly painful to not be in a position where I can buy one right now! Cry
This sword is SO Beautiful, visually, physically in hand, and I know I am far from being alone in so far having to miss out on this sword. I had huge hopes of acquiring the Valkyrja! Incidentally, I am surprisded the Vassal has not sold out!

Perhaps, I should take a moment and be Grateful for having been able to be one of the proud owners of the Vassal Exclamation

The ultimate one handed sword I have as yet to know!

My Huge CONGRATULATIONS to All who have been able to acqure the Valkyrja Exclamation

I am indeed Happy for each and everyone of you!

Most Sincerely!

Bob

It IS What It IS! Only In Truth, Can Reality Exist!
To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Has anyone seen a Valkyrja grip in any other color than black? Has anyone tried oxblood grip with this sword?
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Feedback score: 0%
(1 total ▮ 0% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:
Has anyone seen a Valkyrja grip in any other color than black? Has anyone tried oxblood grip with this sword?

Seen dark brown, red, and oxblood in addition to black... though I'd guess the guys have dressed them up in other colors too...

My opinion, and it is just that - my opinion - oxblood is the best color for that sword - settles nicely with the bronze. Black is my next fave, because of the dark contrast between the bronze and black in the hilt furniture.
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to see pictures of the Valkyrja with Oxblood... I have plenty of time, I just submitted the order so Mike says we have plenty of time to think... As usual for me, it is a toss-up between oxblood and black. Hmmmmm.... what to do?

(I ordered oxblood for my kingmaker which I just ordered a few weeks ago). ( I ordered the Svante with a hot pink grip for an extra $750.00)
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, one myArmoury member had a Valkyria with a dark green grip, which looked cool too.

Mine is black, and I think for this particular sword it's just fine. Happy

Edit : Chris, I hope you meant to say 75, not 750 $ !

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm completely split down the middle about oxblood vs Black... Sad

Could spilt the difference and mix the oxblood dye with some extra black and make it a darker oxblood so that it has a hint of bronze/reds in bright light.... Anyway, I'd love to see a picture of the oxblood grip if anybody could show a photo. Just like Aaron has mentioned, Mike from Albion also told me that the oxblood does pick up the Bronze highlites very nicely... And certainly black is very nice also Sad It could be nice to have black to better tie in with the rest of the black guard and pommel?

Hmmmm need more help tipping over the fence from 50/50

(Just kidding about the Svante and the hot pink by the way Wink I don't think you could pay them enough to let it leave like that Wink )

Last edited by Chris Artman on Sat 24 May, 2008 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
David McElrea

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

I don't know whether there's been a change in the dyes Albion uses for oxblood, but I seem to recall that it comes out looking quite brown. I ordered red, thinking it might be a closer approximation, but found it to be quite a bit brighter than I had expected. I ended up touching it up with brown and black to deepen it more towards oxblood.

I don't have any pics yet-- and the sword is at a friend's workshop where we're making some scabbards-- but colors can be adjusted if you're not completely satisfied (it only takes a touch of shoe polish and some elbow grease). As Aaron says, oxblood goes beautifully with the bronze. For me the sword was begging for a bit of flair that black didn't quite manage.

Either way, you'll love this sword.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The oxblood colour is pretty brown with some red. The current grip on my Sovereign (not the one shown in my collection gallery) is oxblood and works nicely with the bronze furniture. Magenta is a step between Oxblood and red. I think it looks nice against the Prince's bronze pommel,so maybe it will work for this sword?
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
(Just kidding about the Svante and the hot pink by the way I don't think you could pay them enough to let it leave like that )

Well, when you light it under this angle... maybe $750 wouldn't be enough to allow for the creation of the kinky Svante-that-should-not-be with a pink grip. Laughing Out Loud

More seriously, by the way, the reasons why I didn't got my Valkyria with an oxblood grip are that, first, the last sword I purchased already had an oxblood grip, and I wanted a bit of variety, and second, because the black gripped one was in stock and ready to ship at Kult of Athena, and I didn't wanted to wait to get mine.

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Chris Artman

PostPosted: Sat 24 May, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great timing... I was just digging around at Kult of Athena... Do they have a special relationship with Albion? Who owns Kult of Athena?

I'm about 51% Oxblood / 49% Black at this point... Pictures would be great... I still have plenty of time. I'm digging around Kult of Athena now....

I think the knee jerk reaction is to pick black since it integrates the black guard and Black Pomel... but people who have seen both saying Oxblood is their choice because of the bronze... hmmmm.
Jean Le-Palud

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 May, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Artman wrote:

Yes, mine is green...

Please see this topic: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=12640

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Valkyrja
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: