Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Retail Bare Blades, now available: Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Joshua Hemingway

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Retail Bare Blades, now available:         Reply with quote

All Saints is now offering Retail bare blades. See the Swords page at the bottom:

http://www.allsaintsblades.com/Modles.htm

They are not cheep, however for a do it your selfer it may be worth it for a project. We do NOT do custom blades, so don't ask! Happy Finnished or Unfinnished tangs, must include a modle number.

Please note we DO NOT sell parts, so if you get hung up with a blade and later want hiltings your SOL.....

J. Hemingway
All Saints Blades
Felix Thieme

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geez, took me a while to notice all of the new things on the site--must have missed it while I was fighting the French in Flanders...boy, I never thought mercenaries would be so useful...but anyway, that's another thread.

So, this is all good news to those of us who would like to try hilting blades, but what I'm wondering about is if you do/will do dagger blades as well; I think it would be a much better starting point.
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: CF upgrades and such         Reply with quote

Here's a question that might be useful to a lot of folks:

Does this mean one can now order atrim blade X, send it in to Christian Fletcher for hilt treatment Y, and still have everybody's pricing come out right?

. . . or does the pricing on Christian Fletcher's site assume he is shipped a complete sword?

just an FYI question for those of us who, most often lacking better judgement, can't just leave well enough alone Wink
Christian Fletcher
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 06 Mar, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An excellent question.....

Yes, my upgrade prices do assume that I'm starting with a complete, basic sword.

Christian Fletcher
www.christianfletcher.com
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sat 06 Mar, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: expanded specs at allsaints         Reply with quote

Josh,

i was just meandering about the web site [debating if i could use anything from the soon to be Don Nelson spring cleaning sale (tm)] and happened to click on the 1542 in the mercenary line. . .

. . . blade weight. . . hilt length from cross. . . ideal pommel weight? is this going to become standard fare on all the swords on the site? i'm assuming this is because the blades are now available separately and you and Gus wanted to make it just a little easier on folks hilting their own swords - trying to keep in each sword a little of the magic that makes an atrim feel like an atrim, no matter how far one tries to possibly dream away some fundamentals of what has been learned to be good sword design?

a good addition, interesting reading, very helpful for the do-it-yourselfer, but for some reason it feels a little like the magician just told me how to do some amazing magic trick he just performed for me on stage.

just a little something to think about Happy
Joshua Hemingway

PostPosted: Tue 09 Mar, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Johnathon

Well yes you *could* buy a bare blade, ship it to CF, then CF would have to order parts or hand make them. Two problems a) we DONT sell parts, sword compleat or a bare blade Big Grin and b) CF would probly charge an arm and or a leg to hand make them....

As for the 1542, there just old stats. The catigories you mention are 18 month old listings that I don't bother with any more. Thanks for pointing them out, I got most of them deletted, I'll do the 1542's tonight.

J. Hemingway
All Saints Blades
Russ Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At the risk of sounding like a true moron, what precisely constitutes finished vs. unfinished tang? Although I have to watch my budget for a month or two (house needs new windows), this would allow me to do a couple pieces that are characteristically hungarian that nobody else will touch...
10,000 lemmings can't be wrong.
Felix Thieme

PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think finished means that it comes with a threaded end for the pommel nut to screw onto, and unfinished is without threading.

However, I could be wrong.
Joshua Hemingway

PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Even more so:

Finnished is just as if you bought a sword from us; Threaded and finnished to fit a handle.

Unfinnished: No work done at all, just cut from the blank and heat treated.

J. Hemingway
All Saints Blades
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua Hemingway wrote:
Even more so:

Finnished is just as if you bought a sword from us; Threaded and finnished to fit a handle.

Unfinnished: No work done at all, just cut from the blank and heat treated.

So, for the Unfinished blades, they haven't been ground to final shape and sharpened?

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Rob

Actually, the blade is finished, including edge. Makes for some real care for the next guy down the line.....

Its the tang that isn't finished. The tang needs to be finished to the purchaser's requirements re how he/she intends to hilt it or have it hilted.........

swords are fun
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ahhh got it. Thanks Gus! Happy
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Felix Thieme

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now, would I be correct in assuming that the unfinished tangs come in a state where one could use the 'burn on' method of fitting the grip, and then anneal the tang end and peen it over a pommel?

On a side note, do you think it would make sense to include a 'suggested pommel weight' written on each tang in sharpie?
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The PoB will also be affected, though relatively less so, by the mass of the guard (and the grip materials).
It seems to me that you might want to fabricate the desired guard first, taking care to keep it close to historical parameters, and install it on the sword. Then account for the grip mass by determining the weight of the materials and putting a glob of clay of equal weight at the center of the grip. Then see how much mass you need in the pommel (using a clay glob centered where the center of the pommel will be) to get the PoB where you want it. Then fabricate your pommel to meet that mass.
Just my thoughts, for what they're worth.

Brian M

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Retail Bare Blades, now available:
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic