Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Landsknechte on woodcuts, in search of a particular image Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Landsknechte on woodcuts, in search of a particular image         Reply with quote

Hi,
I once saw a woodcut with a landsknecht wearing a german sallat, I am no longer able to find it, maybe someone knows what I am talking about?

Merci beaucoup.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I looked through the following source and didn't see a Landsknecht in a sallet. Seems like a strange combo. Sallets were certainly still in use during the early 16th c., but I've never seen them in this particular context. Dürer's woodcuts might have something, but I know those pretty well, too, and don't recall seeing a sallet on an otherwise typical Landsknecht. Steel caps and burgonets, yes, but no sallets. In fact, I've seen Landsknechts and sallets depicted together in the same paintings, but never in association with one another. That leads me to conclude that Landsknechts simply chose not to wear them.

Follow this link to the best single collection of Landsknecht images:

http://www.serner.de/758

Then download the very large PDF file (7.6 M) of Der Landsknecht im Spiegel der Renaissancegraphik um 1500 - 1540. The text is German so not much use to non-German speakers, but the document contains more than 200 contemporary depictions of Landesknechts (starting on page 296). It's the most complete visual resource I've found. I burned it to CD, and would encourage other Landesknecht afficionados to do the same.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Craig Shira

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: German Single Leaf Woodcuts         Reply with quote

There is a great collection of woodcuts that depict Landsknechte called "German Single Leaf Woodcuts, 1500-1700," or something along those lines. It comes in book form, which is expensive, and it also comes in CD form, which can be purchased on the German side of Amazon.com or from a book importer. I purchased by CD woodcut collection from a store that imported it and had them in stock and have been able to look at a lot of detail within the woodcuts.

Somewhere in there, you might find what you are looking for. But it is a big collection and you will need to do a lot of searching. But while searching, you can find new, unexepected, exciting details.

Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Mon 18 Aug, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

but on many images we can see landsknecht with late 15th style breastplates... so we can presume they were using some other 15th harness pieces no?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
James Barker

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you mean Knight, Death, and the Devil by Albrecht Durer

If so note it is dated 1513 during a transition in armor styles so yes that harness would be period in that time frame also note he is a knight not a soldier so he is not a Landsknecht.

James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

no, it wasn't this.
But really interresting.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Landsknechte on woodcuts, in search of a particular image
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic