Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My New A&A English Longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stuart Mackey

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: My New A&A English Longsword         Reply with quote

Well, My new sword arrived in New Zealand on Monday. After a wee song and dance {in triplicate) with the bureaucracy known as New Zealand Customs, I picked up my sword from the nice people at FedEx.

I have wanted a properly made sword since I saw Darth Vader fighting Luke in Empire Strikes Back in 1980 aged six, now I have one I am simply delighted with it.

It arrived well packed and undamaged from its travels, secured in a convenient future target. Fit and finish are excellent, with the furniture tight with no rattles, and the leather on the handle well made and secure.
I also purchased a basic A&A sheath with chape, and suspension, both of which are well made and, I think, well worth the price.

As for handling, although I have read something of it, my effective knowledge of correct sword handling is something along the lines of what Antonio Banderas said to Anthony Hopkins character in the first Zorro movie, the pointy bit goes into the other other guy. I can say that with the edge aligned properly, it does cut the afore mentioned target very well from just low powered cuts from the wrist/forearm. What I found to be very interesting is the swords ability in the thrust, not only does it go exactly where I want it to go each time, but it goes right back into the same hole with very little concentration.

Again, I am delighted with my new sword.

When I have more money I will be buying from A&A again, they are a responsive and courteous company who are excellent to deal with.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new sword! That's a model that I've always found very intriguing.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"You chose wisely."

That's an excellent sword, and A&A is a top-notch business, both in customer service and in product quality/value.
I have owned two of their swords, and sundry other products (weapons), and have always been completely satisfied with my purchases.

I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Tony Brass

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations. I almost purchased that same sword. I love the pommel. I decided to go with the 12th century sword instead. My experience with A&A was entirely positive. They are quick to respond, and just make amazing swords. My one gripe, is that searching for that "perfect" sword has been a hobby for several years. I few disappointing purchases, and endless hours of research later, I found the perfect sword for me, with the help of the folks at A&A.

My question for the folks at A&A is: now that you have put me together with the object of my search, what am I supposed to do?

I guess I'll just have to save up for that Henry V.

Enjoy your new sword!!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The only problem with A&A swords is one is never enough... Happy
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Stuart! I am 50, I bought my first sword in late mid summer of 2005 after learning in 2003 that I had a passion for medieval swords, I finally woke up! Laughing Out Loud That first sword was the Arms & Armor German Bastard Sword.
Number 2 was the Knightly Riding Sword, so as to practice sword and shield.
Number 3 was the Arms & Armor "English Longsword" in late August of 2005 and I've been in love with that sword ever since!
So I personally know how much joy you are going to get out of your new Arms & Armor "English Longsword"! It's as beautiful a sword as it is to wield. I think the hilt of this sword is absolutely Classy and Gorgeous! I also got the basic scabbard with mine too.
I am seriously really very happy for you Stuart! Very Happy! Happy
I personally just cannot part with anything from my collection, which is pretty large now. However, this is one sword in particular that I would Never consider parting with! Never!
I have 9 A & A swords, 2nd rapier being done now "German Rapier for my wife, has matching dagger", 12 A & A polearms, 5 A & A daggers and 2 A & A bucklers. I kind of like Arms & Armor just a tad! Laughing Out Loud

With a Big Happy Grin To You Stuart!

Bob

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My New A&A English Longsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic