Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion-swords Poiters Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew D G

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Albion-swords Poiters         Reply with quote

Hello again everyone Big Grin

I'm thinking about buying Alboin-swords Poiters in the near future. Dose anyone here own the Poiters? if so can you tell me a little about the sword, how it handles, how well it cuts/thrusts and the like. I can't seem to find any info on this sword (other than the hands-on review) so any help would be great.

Thanks! Big Grin
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Matthew,

First of all, there is the original myArmoury Features Talk topic announcing our Poitiers sword review. That thread has very little to add on the subject, one or two comments, but it led me on a trail that ended in Nathan sharing a feature I never knew about: mousing over article titles reveals any publishing date they may have.

Second, I was going to correct your spelling of "Poitiers," when I discovered that our own review title contained the typo "Poiters" (same as you write). Very surprising since with myArmoury's careful multi-stage editing process, I have never personally noticed a typo in any of our published articles. If you did a search for "Poiters" then I'm not surprised at the lack of results; doing a search for the correct spelling "Poitiers" I get 94 results, including this thread on the original Albion announcement of the model.

So I hope that helps, and thanks for indirectly drawing my attention to the above.
Cheers,
-GLL

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________

Last edited by Gabriel Lebec on Sat 10 Nov, 2007 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matthew D G

PostPosted: Sat 10 Nov, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Gabriel for the info. Never knew I was misspelling Surprised And no problem Gabriel glad to help Happy
Mike Stillwell

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov, 2007 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Matthew,

I've handled a dozen or so different Albion single-hand swords, and all I can say from a subjective point of view is that I found the Poitiers to be by far the nicest handling of all of them for my own taste. That probably says more about me than about the swords, especially since comparing different swords is like comparing apples with oranges, of course. Happy

Again in my opinion, I would say the Poitiers, to my eye, would make a better 1:33/sword and buckler sword than the shorter wider models.

Best wishes

Do you now know what beauty is for?
And have you changed your life because of it?
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 11 Nov, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, I am probably the one responsible for the typo (I know I tend to leave the "s" off the end, so I check for that, but I missed this one WTF?! ). Obviously, since I wrote the review, you know my opinion on the sword. It hasn't changed, it's still a good sword and I think you will be very happy with it.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Stillwell wrote:
Hi Matthew,

I've handled a dozen or so different Albion single-hand swords, and all I can say from a subjective point of view is that I found the Poitiers to be by far the nicest handling of all of them for my own taste. That probably says more about me than about the swords, especially since comparing different swords is like comparing apples with oranges, of course. Happy

Again in my opinion, I would say the Poitiers, to my eye, would make a better 1:33/sword and buckler sword than the shorter wider models.

Best wishes

I'd like to add to Mike's comments here. I was given the opportunity to handle the Poitiers during my trip to Albion this past summer. I think I can say without a doubt, that the Poitiers is the fastest, most agile sword in their entire lineup. Period. The point control is excellent-- very fine and precise.

I think I may have to differ with Mike on one thing, though-- I wouldn't necessarily recommend this sword for Tower Manuscript I:33, which includes series of short, chopping cuts, in addition to finer cuts and thrusts. While I have no doubt that the Poitiers could cut well enough, it lacks the blade presence necessary to generate a lot of momentum quickly.

On the other hand, it would be a fine sword for sword-and-buckler work in later fighting styles, such as Liechtenauer, which seems to place more emphasis on point control-- an area where the Poitiers excells.

Hope this helps! I believe you would be very happy with that sword, should you purchase it.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Matthew D G

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good feed back . I think the Poitiers will be my first REAL sword. As soon as I get the $688....... Sad Laughing Out Loud
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I have not handled the Poitiers specifically, I know from handling my SQL Bastard Sword and the Next Gen Fiore that the Oakeshott XV and XVa swords are among the most lively European sword types. If you like swords that are wickedly agile in hand, I have no doubt that you'll find the Poitiers to be especially pleasing.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion-swords Poiters
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic