Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > @$%#&! I dropped my sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again everyone and thanks for your comments,

I do get it how historical pieces often or usually have nicked edges. But also I am not really a practitioner but more of a collector. I do own some books on medieval swordsmanship and I do sometimes practice simple wards or attempt proper cutting techniques. Truth is though that I have never even cut tatami with my swords as sad to some as that may sound.

I would like to do this but I guess my motivation is low. This is also an activity that I believe I would enjoy more with other enthusiasts though none are really near me and none of my friends are really in to my collection at all.

Also instead of damaging my sword in a period manner- I feel silly that I dropped it on a dumb bell and not doing anything really swordlike at all.

I like my swords to look their best. When I get the funds I will likely send it off. Also I have only been disappointed whenever I have tried to do anything to my swords edges. One needs to be shown these things and I don't want to increase the damage or damage the look. Bottom line- I do not spare since these are sharps- nor will I ever use them in a way (intentionally) where they would take any meaningful damage (read nicks or chunks out of the blade.)

One time I read one of Chad's posts regarding how his sovereign had been repaired after some edge damage and he stated something to the effect that the repair looked nice in that it was noticeable but appeared that a skilled historical craftsman would have repaired a period sword. I like this idea.

So thanks everyone- feel free to continue your thoughts on the issue of sword damage and experiences you have had dealing with said damage.

Jeremy
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy;

I also collect ( Eek! not a big surprise there. Razz Laughing Out Loud ) and I don't like doing any damage to my blades but the learning process includes knowing that in period, when used for what they where used for, a sword would get some wear and tear, but I see this as " theoretically " accepting that swords when used will not be pristine.

Now test cutting on reasonable materials will cause minor wear and need a little retouching of edges or finish but I don't feel the need to deliberately reproduce period damage.

My solution is to "baby " the expensive swords and risk edge damage to my " beater " swords like my Generation 2 Dordogne:
I will risk damage to a beater sword but I won't abuse it either when it's a " nice " beater that I like. Wink Big Grin

Years ago I was sort of more obsessive about any minor scratches on a customs or even a production knife in my collection: I have since learned to not let it bother me too much i.e. less O.C.D. about it. Oh, and rust prevention being the other popular sword/collectable related O.C.D.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jul, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah yes Jean,

Rust prevention. . . I spent about 2 hours today going through all of my swords removing any tiny spots. Annoying when those show up even when properly caring for these things. Granted I don't take my swords out as often as other folks probably do. I only do the full touch up like today like once every six months or so. I do oil them every other week or so- or if I take them out.

I also don't have them on the wall as I would prefer. I just get those adhesive hook things as I like them up as they are easier to get to and maintain- not so much for display. I will do this if I EVER own a place.

I don't buy any lower end swords as if I don't really do much practice with my nicer ones I don't believe that I would use beaters any more. Even with price tags of $250-$350 these swords don't make sense for what I use swords for. I guess if I ever got more into practice or indeed sparring then these would be an option.

The swords I tend to get are increasing in price- and now I am thinking of only going custom because of my OCD about historical accuracy. I feel great that I am on Barta's waiting list with his previous prices- which were ridiculously awesome for what you get.

I love my hobby but it is a lonely hobby! Even among the A&A community I tend to have the same interests or level of collecting aims as but a subset of the whole. Don't get me wrong, I'm not wealthy by any stretch, I just wait, and wait, and wait until I get something new. It's a small collection you see!

Thanks
Jeremy
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 14 Jul, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

I love my hobby but it is a lonely hobby! Even among the A&A community I tend to have the same interests or level of collecting aims as but a subset of the whole. Don't get me wrong, I'm not wealthy by any stretch, I just wait, and wait, and wait until I get something new. It's a small collection you see!

Thanks
Jeremy

Well not as lonely as it used to be before I joined " myArmoury ". Big Grin

My interest in history and arms has always been with me but my knowledge has increased a great deal just reading Features, Reviews and the posts form other members. Before that it was mostly limited to the 50 to 100 books that have been in print and available in bookstores over the last few decades: Generally, without getting into specific titles, the " Classic " ones most people here have read or would recommend to people new to the subject.

I could have happily continued my own journey of learning on my own for my pleasure only but being on " myArmoury " is being part of a community of like minds, even if the areas of specialized interest can vary greatly. Big Grin Cool

Good excuse to link to this Topic thread dealing with supporting the site. Wink Big Grin ( I'll shamelessly use any excuse. Laughing Out Loud )
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8084&start=100

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jack Savante

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Damage is part of the life of a sword; think of it is adding character. Neatly file the damage off and then run a stone across it. Your sword has now become a man. There was a reason that the last thing a Senior Knight taught his pupils was a punch in the jaw. Think of this damage to you sword in the same way. She'll be right mate - after all it is a sword!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > @$%#&! I dropped my sword
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: