Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Vassal with Oxblood grip Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Tony Brass

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob,

That first pic is great. Shows how frightening it would be to confront a guy armed with a Vassal. The Vassal just went to the top of my wish list. I can already tell these are going to sell out because if this thread, and the pictures you guys keep posting.

Remember, swords are highly addictive - please post pictures responsibly.

TB

Greyson,

Saw the pics of your home made grips. I am most impressed. I am going to PM you with some follow up questions.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To follow up on Chad's comment of Scotchbrite Pads, which I am a big fan of myself, the come in various grades of courseness, such as green is more course than gray and brown is more course than green and white is the finest grade of them all, being a fine buffing pad to get a shine. Anyone "should" ( would think) be able to find these pads at any hardware store, most certainly a hardware or paint store that caters to the professional tradesman.
Thank you very much Tony for the compliment, are you talking about the photo of the Vassal, Berserkr, Arms & Armor "Elector of Saxony Dagger" and their custom Rondel Dagger they made for me? Or are you talking about the photo where I am in a guard with the Vassal held low to my right in a loose spring type of stance?
So far, my sword practice has been a hodge podge Laughing Out Loud blend of my years in Karate, another close to 2 years
in Kung Fu and that which I've managed to comprehend from my wonderfully helpful Umpteen books from Chivalry Bookshelf.
I've been reading a lot of medieval history books, including battles, kings, history of the so called "by the Romans" barbarian tribes.
OK, Self Arrest, I was drifting from the subject matter, my apologies. Tony, I've written a slew of passionate posts about the Albion Vassal in the course of time since it's inception and announcement via the artwork on the Albion Website.
I was one of the first few to get the Vassal and got it for about a thousand dollars, but at the present price, I would still jump on it in a Heartbeat! This sword is definitely worth every dime if your a fan of the falchion Exclamation
"My humble opinion and what I would do", though I would not part with any piece in my collection, I would otherwise do whatever I had to do (within the law of course) to get the cash!
For this fierce blade of the thrust and the slash!

Falchion Fans, do not let this one slip away! Once again there is an Oxblood grip Vassal in "Pristine" condition at
Kult of Athena just waiting for a home. I am in there frequently and I'm always surprised to see the Vassal as well as the Arms & Armor swords including a Durer, still in stock. This truly puzzles me. WTF?! Laughing Out Loud

Bob
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Thu 08 Nov, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to add another factor to the comments of my opinion on the Albion Vassal, and that is in regard to the
handling characteristics of the Vassal.compared to other swords that can be and are wielded with one hand.
Of all the swords of the one handed type that I have experienced, as splended as many of them are, none are as graceful and responsive in agility to the changes of precise direction to targeted thrusts and cuts and motions of linear or circular maneuvers as are those characteristics of the Albion Vassal Exclamation This sword to me is an amazing wonder of beauty and grace to wield.
In regard to the grace and beauty of wielding swords with one hand, of the large swords in the category of the single handed type, though it can also be wielded with two hands. On the beast end that can be wielded with one hand, considering all those that I have had the opportunity to handle and wield, no two ways about it, the Arms & Armor
Edward III Sword which I am very grateful to own is the most amazing sword in my humble opinion, considering it's rather massive size it is so well balanced that it requires a surprisingly small amount of effort to control.
Of all the swords that can be wielded with one hand, no two ways about it, the Albion Vassal and the Arms & Armor Edward III Sword are my absolute favorites to wield Exclamation
For a Beast of a sword that can be handled with one hand the Arms & Armor "Edward III Sword" is an incredible delight to work with, however, in my own humble opinion, all things considered in regard to all the swords that I have handled in the one hander type, hands down no question about it! The Blue Ribbon most definitely goes to the Albion "Vassal" Exclamation

Wow! Do I ever Love this sword!

Bob
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a question for the owners: How exactly do you carry this sword when not using it? By this I mean, I have never noticed a scabbard of sorts with falchions in the few drawings / paintings I have seen of them, and Albion does not offer one either. I would venture to guess it is carried in the belt naked, but that seems nonsensical to me.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi "M", I've had my Vassal since Sept. 2006, being one of the first few recipients, having ordered it early but through
Kult of Athena, which is less than a half hour drive. I have as of yet to get a scabbard for mine, but I am thinking of going with Russ Ellis at www.Tritonworks.com
I can't imagine this sword just shoved bare steel thru a belt either, this does not make any sense to me either. I would think that if you inquire from Albion for a scabbard to accommodate the Vassal. I know that right about the time I got the Vassal, I ordered a scabbard for my Berserkr from Albion and inquired about a scabbard for my Vassal. The answer I got was that they were not "yet" making scabbards for the Vassal. ("Yet" being the operative word here).
This is definitely a good inquiry "M", thanks for bringing this issue to the table!

Sincerely,

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Hi "M", I've had my Vassal since Sept. 2006, being one of the first few recipients, having ordered it early but through
Kult of Athena, which is less than a half hour drive. I have as of yet to get a scabbard for mine, but I am thinking of going with Russ Ellis at www.Tritonworks.com
I can't imagine this sword just shoved bare steel thru a belt either, this does not make any sense to me either. I would think that if you inquire from Albion for a scabbard to accommodate the Vassal. I know that right about the time I got the Vassal, I ordered a scabbard for my Berserkr from Albion and inquired about a scabbard for my Vassal. The answer I got was that they were not "yet" making scabbards for the Vassal. ("Yet" being the operative word here).
This is definitely a good inquiry "M", thanks for bringing this issue to the table!

Sincerely,

Bob

Next question would be functional or functional/historical scabbard ? I'm sure the functional part as well as being well made and aesthetically pleasing won't be a problem if Russ makes it. Wink

Any pics of historical scabbards for falchions out there ? A scabbard for a grossemesser might be similar since they seem to be in the same family as the earlier falchions ( I think, not sure ? ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a fellow interested in scabbards, I have been wondering about this a bit. I suppose one could carry this sword through their belt (the ricasso would help), but I just don't buy that as the historical solution.

Some of the Osprey books and similar works depict an angular falchion scabbard that I would guess is better suited to a Conyers-type falchion. It is obviously and artists idea, though, as there is no way one could get the sword out of the scabbard depicted. As for historical examples or depictions of falchion scabbards, I'm still looking. I may have to look for messer scabbards and work from there.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Tue 13 Nov, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Closest thing I came up with, was something similar to a case for a machete; a case that is wide enough for the widest bit of the blade but not "conforming" like a normal straight sword scabbard.

M.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am curious as to how many Vassal availabilities are left? Being that it is limited to 100 swords and the fact that the Vassal is So SWEET Exclamation
I've had my black grip Vassal (of which I honed and sharpened the distal false edge with great care and fantastic results) for one year and two months and I am absolutely crazy about this sword, even to this day, everytime I pick my Vassal up it hits every pleasure center in my circuit board!
Everytime I walk into Kult of Athena, which is a minimum of once a month and I see that Oxblood Grip Albion Vassal still hanging on the wall in pristine condition, I look at it in disbelief that it is still there! I am quite serious, knowing what I know about this sword and picking mine up almost everyday since the day I went over to Kult of Athena and made my final payment the day it arrived, I am surprised there are any Vassals left!
The very first time I saw the art work of the forthcoming Vassal on the Albion website, I about shot out of my chair with my eyeballs about bugged out of their sockets in a frenzy of inundated excitement, anxiety, anticipation, etc. I have never had a sword hit me this hard, I mean BAM Exclamation
The day it arrived at Kult of Athena, the less than half hour drive was a journey of "I can't wait to get my hands on it, I can't wait to get my hands on it, etc. etc."!
Everytime I've ever written a post on the Vassal, it's been a real test to keep my enthusiasm within some kind of confine of relative sanity! This sword is gorgeous beyond belief!

Sincerely!

Bob

Attachment: 70.32 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 38.33 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 70.82 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 43.99 KB
[ Download ]
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No doubt that when the 'Vassal' sells out a new incarnation using that blade will be put out. I remember when Peter and Steve were working on the CNC program for this blade and the subsequent testing of the blade (balance, heat treat, etc) and it was quite a trick getting it up and running (both of these fellows are really amazing in their respective areas). Perhaps the next design will incorporate a straight guard nad a different style pommel?
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aręd"
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing one with a streight back vs the clipped point on the Vassal. There is one on PG 89 of Arms and Armour of the medieval Knight.

M.

Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Stark wrote:
No doubt that when the 'Vassal' sells out a new incarnation using that blade will be put out. I remember when Peter and Steve were working on the CNC program for this blade and the subsequent testing of the blade (balance, heat treat, etc) and it was quite a trick getting it up and running (both of these fellows are really amazing in their respective areas). Perhaps the next design will incorporate a straight guard nad a different style pommel?

I hope you are right and hope you are wrong simultaneously. They obviously went to enought work on this blade that they might as well get their mileage out of it, but another sword with this blade would be a serious threat to my (already seriously injured) pocketbook.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I am curious as to how many Vassal availabilities are left? Being that it is limited to 100 swords and the fact that the Vassal is So SWEET Exclamation

The Vassal has only been available since September 2006. It took the Vinland, Clontarf, and Gotland (each limited to 100)years to sell out and one could argue that they appeal to a slightly wider audience of buyers than singe-edged swords in general. And they were significantly cheaper than the Vassal.

I would think there are still a good number of them left to make, perhaps more than 50. But that's just a guess.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sat 01 Dec, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your absolutely correct on all points Chad! This is all very true, I am sure the single edged blade is to a more narrow market. My own enthusiasm for my Vassal can be kind of a fog on the road to me in the realization to this factor.
Yes, September 2006 found me to be one of those gleeful recipients. My wife and my mother (who moved in with us in August 2006, both are quite impressed with the Vassal, speaking of single edged blades (at present) my only other Albion is also a single edged blade, the "Berserkr" of which they both like a lot too!
I love the clip at the distal tip, especially since within the first week I made the careful decision to hone the distal false edge into a sharp edge for which I like my Vassal even more being very careful not to compromise the point of the blade and it's not harmed the sword in any way shape or form and for my taste has enhanced the sword.
I think B. Stark is right on about his prediction and I can sure identify with Greyson on the injured pocket book! Laughing Out Loud
But hey it was worth it!

Bob

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Vassal with Oxblood grip
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: