Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Anthropomorphic Helmet- Visors Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 27 Oct, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Anthropomorphic Helmet- Visors         Reply with quote

I found this interresting page on the above topic - http://www.geocities.com/sasa1.geo/masks/iron_face_eng2.htm
quaintly called "Old Iron - Face ".
We are all familiar with those Roman cavalry masks and the Sutton Hoo burial, etc but I found this section very interresting......
".... In Europe anthropomorphic visors re-appear in 15th -16th century as part of tournament armour. It is worth mentioning that tourneys where masks were used were called "Husaria" and were introduced from Hungary, where many Polovtsy clans fleed from Mongols. Of course this is not enough to prove that "husaria" masks appeared under Polovtsy influence, especially since Western armoures of 15-16th. centuries were obsessed with new forms in battle and parade armours and demonstrated unrivalled freedom of artisitic expression in working with steel and iron. .
One of best examples of this style was presented to Henry VIII by emperor Maximilian and is exhibited in Leeds. But this helmet looks more like a grotesque iron "mask of shame", made in the 17th. century in some German towns - eg.hooked nose, horns and glasses...may be today we are not able to fully appreciate emperor's practical joke? "

Firstly has anyone heard of or has any more infomation on these "Husaria" masked Tournaments ?
Secondly, does anyone know if that famous grotesque harness presented to Henry VIII by Maxamilian was ment to have any "joke" involved by its appearance?
Also of interrest is that, while I know that Moustached and bearded Visors were of metal, I didnt realise that sometimes the hair was real Horse hair ! ( Ref. No #2 in pic Below ) If anyone has any other examples of 'real' horsehair in visored-helms, that would be great ! Some visors appear to be used to intimidate but some seem 'for jest & folley'......I know that many tournaments were somewhat light-harted in the display of crests, etc. I wonder sometimes how many of us appreciate the medieval sense of humor ?
Anyway, I look forward to your input and comments.

Attachment: 6.23 KB
german_masks.gif

Attachment: 26.83 KB
Exchange visor for Moustached-Masked Helm, RA at Leeds..jpg

Attachment: 43.7 KB
masks16_17.jpg

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 28 Oct, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've heard that many of these masked, mustachioed hems were stylized imitations (caricature) of a Turk's face. The Turks were a major threat to many parts of Europe (especially eastern Europe) during that time. In tournaments of the era, there might have been role-playing where some combatants would portray the feared/hated Turks.

According to one source, the grotesque helm given by Maximilian to Henry VIII may have been a caricature of Maximilian's face.

Attached is another masked visor, likely in the private sector somewhere. It's said to be a caricature of a Turk, though the representation of the mouth is similar to that on Henry's helm. The holes beneath the eyeslit may have been rivet holes for applied eyes to complete the face,

Attachment: 69.95 KB
Turk Mask.jpg
Austrian, circa 1525-1530

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Anthropomorphic Helmet- Visors
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic