Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Musee de l'Armee inquiry Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Musee de l'Armee inquiry         Reply with quote

Has anyone gone to the Musee de l'Armee? i heard they have two large springalds, giant crossbow, items there and had a few pictures but now have lost them and wondered if anyone had seen them and could spare some pictures. If not I will have to make a trip to Paris..... I am looking into them for something and hope that looking at them will give me ideas on how the records I am looking at fits together in reality. Any other medieval examples or just really cool ones reconstucted are welcome,

Randall
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Musee de l'Armee inquiry         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Has anyone gone to the Musee de l'Armee? i heard they have two large springalds, giant crossbow, items there and had a few pictures but now have lost them and wondered if anyone had seen them and could spare some pictures. If not I will have to make a trip to Paris..... I am looking into them for something and hope that looking at them will give me ideas on how the records I am looking at fits together in reality. Any other medieval examples or just really cool ones reconstucted are welcome,

Randall

fine armors I recall, the bronze cannons of Napoleon, a V2 and german uniforms, De Gaulle blasting at the radio ... but springalds and crossbows were there not.

You cannot lose that place, and don't forget the Middle Age museum, located inside the roman spas.
Dan Pedelaborde

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Paris Army Museum.         Reply with quote

Actually yes they are!!

Look on line before you go, you can easily spent two days there, as I did. AND if you are in uniform you get in FREE, even if you are not a serving military personnel. I went in my WWII class As. Please look at the photo albums on the site here to see some of what you might see there. Mine are still in user submitted uncategorized pics.

I spent 12 hours n the arms and armour section including the costume area. and a day in the other areas: Napoleanic, His horse and dog (stuffed) battle standards field tent and uniforms from every unit he ever commanded; WWI, WWII, tons of cannons. The church gift shop and much more.

Attachment: 70.85 KB
087-NapoleansNag.jpg

Thank you, and namaste...
The Hanso Foundation
Thomas James Hayman

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Randall, Thomas here, if you end up going, give us a bell as i was planning to go sometime this year and could book to meet around the same time???
Fabrice Cognot
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jun, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Medieval and Renaissance A&A collections rooms at the Musée de l'armée have recently (Jan. 2006) reopened, with a new presentation and all (quite inspired by the Hofjagd und Rüstkammer in Vienna I must say). They had been closed since 2002.

Paris not too far away from here, a mere 1h40 train ride...and I might even be there when you will be. Just let me know when, and I'll try to be there.

The Musée du Moyen Age too has been kind of rejuvenated. Scarce A&A there, but quality stuff - and a fantastic place that I particularly love.

Cheers

Fab

PhD in medieval archeology.
HEMAC member
De Taille et d'Estoc director
Maker of high quality historical-inspired pieces.
Dan Pedelaborde

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't recall a springalds, but there are some large Italian crossbows ( standing about 3-4ft tall) I think the one I was had a pull of 2000lb. Yes 2000, that is why I remember it. I don't hav a pic of that one, but other crossbows, mostly fancy stuff.

Since I was there I know the WWII wing has been overhauled, I would love to go back and see that. The second trip I would spend more time in other eras, and not so much on armour.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Manouchehr Khorasani was there a few months ago and he has posted literally hundreds of pics on his thread.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
Manouchehr Khorasani was there a few months ago and he has posted literally hundreds of pics on his thread.

Here is the thread you're speaking of: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8791

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 15 Oct, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham,

Thanks. I followed the thread when it was posted though and no good giant crossbow/springald candidates sadly. Thats ok it was a great post and he started a great conversation up.

I have been so busy with my research I still have not gotten over there yet. I only live a few hours drive (in boat, car or train) away so if I wanted I could likely do it in a day and a half or so.

Dan,

Tell me more about your 2000 lb crossbow. Sounds a bit like what liebel would call a two foot crossbow. In his system, two foot being not two feet to span but 'two feet' bolts. It is worth a read to all interested in springalds, giant crossbows and crossbows. If you buy it from The RA it is only £10. Lately I have been quite interested in crossbows. It may perhaps be sympathy as no one has done any detailed study on them in some time.... everybody either studies the handgun or perhaps less so the longbow. Where there more of them? Any evidence they were on a suspension system?

Does anyone else have pictures of said crossbow?

In Liebel's system a giant crossbow would have arms of about 1.5-2 meters long. If wood they are pretty thick as well.

RPM

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Musee de l'Armee inquiry
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic