Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Scottish Basket Hilt Broadsword-antiqued version Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Hanwei Scottish Basket Hilt Broadsword-antiqued version         Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in this sword I just picked one up from www.dragonflyproducts.com
They shipped it very quickly and the price was sub $200. I would say that this is an excellent sword for the price. I bought it to be used as a wallhanger but the blade feels and looks quite decent. This is the 2002N version which has the antiqued guard. The antiquing is pretty well done. I previously owned the Hanwei gjermundbu helm and was not all that impressed. This is the double edged broadsword blade even though a lot of sellers list it as the backsword. There is also a single edged backsword so be careful to get the one you want. I advise going to the cas Iberia site and writing down the model number and using that to search vs using the name. The blade is lightly engraved "Andrea Ferara" which is neatly done. I think this one might look better if I antique the blade to go along with the guard. The blade is somewhat sharp although near the tip it is thick as if someone missed a spot. Not too hard to remedy though. The grip is rayskin with a wire wrap. Like other basket hilt swords I've held I can barely get my paw in it. It could possible get uncomfortable if I were using it to cut anything. Everything is is nice and tight with now rattles etc... The scabbard is also decent although it will probably gather dust in the closet. All in all a nice sword for the price.

Attachment: 120.42 KB
baskethilt2.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Nathan Keysor

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another pic of the guard. I will take some more in better light tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Attachment: 106.45 KB
baskethilt.jpg

Stirling Matheson

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How much does it weigh and where is the POB, if you don't mind my asking?

Fac et Spera,
SZM
Nathan Keysor

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are the stats from Hanwei which seem to be correct as far as I can tell:

Blade length: 33 1/2“
Handle length: 6”
Overall length: 39 3/4“
Weight: 3lb 1oz
Point of Balance: 5"
Point of Percussion: 23"
Width at Guard: 1.79"
Width at Tip: 1.19"
Thickness at Guard: .18"
Thickness at Tip: .08"

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Keysor wrote:
Here are the stats from Hanwei which seem to be correct as far as I can tell:Handle length: 6”

Hi Nathan

Firstly .... Congrats on your new sword, sounds like a very decent piece for the price !

I wanted to ask about the handle length stat .... is it really 6" inches long ?
Most baskets that are snug, as you described, would normally have a grip length of 3-3/4" to 4" inches max ( including ferrules) ! Perhaps your hand is on the larger size ?
Might you give us the baskets length, width, and depth, measurements too,please !

Thanks, & enjoy your new sword, Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Nathan Keysor wrote:
Here are the stats from Hanwei which seem to be correct as far as I can tell:Handle length: 6”

Hi Nathan

Firstly .... Congrats on your new sword, sounds like a very decent piece for the price !

I wanted to ask about the handle length stat .... is it really 6" inches long ?
Most baskets that are snug, as you described, would normally have a grip length of 3-3/4" to 4" inches max ( including ferrules) ! Perhaps your hand is on the larger size ?
Might you give us the baskets length, width, and depth, measurements too,please !

Thanks, & enjoy your new sword, Mac

from the rest of the stats, I'd guess his handle length is grip plus pommel
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
from the rest of the stats, I'd guess his handle length is grip plus pommel

Ahh ... okay, that would make sense !

Thanks, Geoff

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Nathan Keysor

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas and Geoff,

You are both right. Here are pics with a tape measure to show the scale:

PS I do have big hands so the size of the grip shouldn't be a problem for most people. My first and second knuckles basically are pressed against the basket which, I'm sure, would feel unpleasant if I hit something. I bought this strictly as a Scottish Heritage display piece so it's ok Big Grin

Attachment: 109.07 KB
closeup2.jpg

Attachment: 72.28 KB
closeup3.jpg

Attachment: 83.83 KB
closeup1.jpg

Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In case this is any help, here are the stats for the hilt on my English basket hilt c.1740-1750:

Hilt:
6 ¼” long
Basket:
4 ½” long
4 ¼” wide
3” deep (not including quillon)
Bars are between 3/16” and ¼” wide and are approximately 1/8” thick
Reins Ring:
2 ¾” long
1 9/16” wide
Quillon:
1”
Pommel:
1 ¾” long
1 9/16” wide at base
1” wide at center
5/8” wide at terminus
Grip:
4 3/16” long
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's interesting to see that Hanwei is working to get more historical accuracy on some of their products. I recently handled one of their Practical basket hilted broadswords, and the basket size was good! It was a lot snugger than the practical ones they produced not long ago. The problem with the practical one was that the balance was a bit off. It was a bit tip heavy and therefor felt a bit unweildy. And for some reason they've added a sort of langet which would look allright on some of the 16th century basket hilts, but out of place on an 18th century basket.

Nathan,
Did your sword come with one of the brown scabbards or one of the black ones? Is the inside of the scabbard wood?

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
It's interesting to see that Hanwei is working to get more historical accuracy on some of their products. I recently handled one of their Practical basket hilted broadswords, and the basket size was good! It was a lot snugger than the practical ones they produced not long ago. The problem with the practical one was that the balance was a bit off. It was a bit tip heavy and therefor felt a bit unweildy. And for some reason they've added a sort of langet which would look allright on some of the 16th century basket hilts, but out of place on an 18th century basket.

Nathan,
Did your sword come with one of the brown scabbards or one of the black ones? Is the inside of the scabbard wood?

Cheers,
Henrik

I have the backsword in the antiqued version and the broadsword in the polished version. I like them both, but the backsword, having a much lighter blade, is quicker. The brown scabbard is standard issue with the antiqued swords.

Hanwei does seem to be taking more pains with their products. Certainly for the price point they do supply a good-looking and usable blade. I just wish they would put the locket on the scabbard on the outside rather than the inside. I have had to cut extra holes in my baldrics to carry these swords.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Nathan Keysor

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Henrik,

mine came with the brown scabbard. I'm not sure if it's a wood core. I think it is probably some sort of plastic.

I was at the PA Renfest today and handled some of the other Hanwei swords. Interesting to note that the basket on the backsword seems to be a bit more roomy than the broadsword as I was able to get my hand in it with no problem. I handled the antiqued Taza, Solingen, and Torino rapiers which were all nice but I have to say the Torino felt the quickest in my hand. I also handled the Cromwell sword and the Mortuary Hilt both of these were nice as well. Not to get too off topic but I also took a look at the Cold Steel Scottish basket hilt and wasn't too impressed. It looked very modern and felt clunky. I also looked at the Hanwei repro helmets. I own the Sutton Hoo and previously owned the Gjermundbu. I was not impressed with the antiquing on the gjermundbu. For some reason the technique Hanwei uses looks more realistic on the sword hilts. The best looking of the lot was the antiqued Coppergate helm. To me the helms seem also to be a bit overpriced. However I would recommend the swords being nice quality for the price.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Scottish Basket Hilt Broadsword-antiqued version
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic