Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Western Martial Arts Workshop--Chicago Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Charlee Garvin

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Western Martial Arts Workshop--Chicago         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know the four day WMA Workshop in Chicago (link below) is filling fast. I enrolled last night, and four classes were already full. I got twelve classes with: Guy Windsor, Paul Wagner, Hans Heim, Bill Grandy, Matt Galas, Christian Tobler, and other international swordsmen. I wanted let you know in case you want to join in. It cost 275.00 for the whole shebang. Check it out---I hope to cross blades with some of you boys.

Regards,

Charlee

http://wmaw.us/Default.htm#
Allen Reed

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Western Martial Arts Workshop--Chicago         Reply with quote

Charlee Garvin wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know the four day WMA Workshop in Chicago (link below) is filling fast. I enrolled last night, and four classes were already full. I got twelve classes with: Guy Windsor, Paul Wagner, Hans Heim, Bill Grandy, Matt Galas, Christian Tobler, and other international swordsmen. I wanted let you know in case you want to join in. It cost 275.00 for the whole shebang. Check it out---I hope to cross blades with some of you boys.

Regards,

Charlee

http://wmaw.us/Default.htm#

I'm planning on being there.

Allen
Charlee Garvin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: WMAW-Chicago         Reply with quote

Hi Allen,

Great! Did you get all the classes you wanted? There are two that I'm really looking forward to attending: Messerfechten--Fighting with the German falchion, and The Schnitt--The Third Strike.

To paraphrase, Messerfechten, taught by Hans Heim of Ochs, instructs from Lebküchner's manuscript detailing a complete system of Messer fencing, closely related to the longsword fencing of the Liechtenauer, but adapted for the different one hand possibilities brought about by a shorter weapon.

The Schnitt--third strike I suppose is like a draw-cut. The German masters assign three types of strike to their art: the cut, thrust and slice. The slice, or Schnitt, is a subtle, vicious technique. I think the character Tristan in the movie King Arthur used this technique with his Grossmesser. Though it was hollywooded up, it still highlighted the use of the Schnitt which was not seen before.

Anyway, I'll see you there.

Charlee
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

RATS Exclamation Longsword classes are full, Christian Tobler's Sword and Buckler Full, etc., and the fact that I cannot come up with the money in time because of surprise mechanical problems with one of our vehicles.

Cry <~~~~ Wants to go stick head in the sand!

Feeling sick about missing out on this Exclamation

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
RATS Exclamation Longsword classes are full, Christian Tobler's Sword and Buckler Full, etc., and the fact that I cannot come up with the money in time because of surprise mechanical problems with one of our vehicles.

Bob

Well, plan for maybe the next similar event close enough to get to and maybe for next year's event, assuming that it is a recurring event.

Would it be possible to pay a small fee to just " audit " the class quietly from a " dark corner " ? If you can use your contacts here on myArmoury there would be no harm in respectfully asking about the possibility ? Maybe P.M. Christian since he is a member here ? I also understand that it might not be practical if a lot of people all wanted to do this.

Hope this helps Bob. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
E Stafford

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want to come!!! But, money is just a bit screwed up right now. Evil Cry Cry. Oh well. have fun.
Charlee Garvin

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Bob[/quote]         Reply with quote

[quote="Bob Burns"]RATS Exclamation Longsword classes are full, Christian tobler's Sword and Buckler Full, etc., and the fact that I cannot come up with the money in time because of surprise mechanical problems with one of our vehicles.

Yeah Bob,

I just stumbled on the site by accident and jumped on it. I think I would feel the same if I missed this kind of training opportunity. I'll try to be a better watchdog for us since we're such a small community. I normally check myArmoury once a day to see what's going on. If you all see something unique, please post it as well.

Charlee
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, this event is going to be a blast. Particularly this venue: The DeKoven center is such a perfect place to train, in a picturesque Victorian college campus, right on the shores of Lake Michigan. The people are great, the location is great, and the event is one of the best. Be prepared to make some new life friends. Happy
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Charlee Garvin

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: German Longsword Class         Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

I have your German Longsword class first. Really looking forward to it.

Charlee
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I signed up for your class too Bill, looking forward to meeting you in person and working with you!
" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Allen Reed

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob[/quote]         Reply with quote

[quote="Charlee Garvin"]
Bob Burns wrote:
RATS Exclamation Longsword classes are full, Christian tobler's Sword and Buckler Full, etc., and the fact that I cannot come up with the money in time because of surprise mechanical problems with one of our vehicles.

Yeah Bob,

I just stumbled on the site by accident and jumped on it. I think I would feel the same if I missed this kind of training opportunity. I'll try to be a better watchdog for us since we're such a small community. I normally check myArmoury once a day to see what's going on. If you all see something unique, please post it as well.

Charlee

I try to put up anything I hear about on the training calendar at my website, www.GallowglassAcademy.org

I am more than willing to post any dates folks want to send me as well.

Allen
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Aug, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The "Next" time this is held near the Chicago area I will not miss it, because I am going to budget for it and set the money aside for this specifically! In particular I would have loved to have met and studied under Guy Windsor, Bill Grandy, Paul Wagner and especially "Christian Henry Tobler who is my Idol"!
I do have all the books written by Stephen Hand, Christian Henry Tobler, Guy Windsor, as well as "many" other instructional books. Other than the Spanish Rapier, I think I must have about every instructional book recently published, including both the Spadas.
I get to see Chris Last at the Renaissance Faire, but I would really have liked to have met everyone else that is going.
The other reason I would probably not have been able to make it is a family crisis going on that involves my sister and most importantly my mother.
I would have bought the ticket for the entire weekend of seminars and have attended classes all day long, every day Exclamation

As someone who trained in karate at a few different points in my life, most recently getting a black belt (Oct. 2004) from
Keith Hackney "The Giant Killer" (UFC Number 3) and former Navy SEAL (Straight from High School into the SEALS) and of UFC Fame. I have a Whole Lot of Respect for Instructors and Masters of other martial arts. Now with great fascination this Respect is focused on Instructors and Masters of the European Swords and Rapiers! If you ask me, I think the art of the European swords and rapiers is more complex than karate, jiu jitsu, judo, boxing, Muay Tai, etc., and here we have a long weekend of seminars by sword and rapier "Masters" and I am missing out on it Exclamation Cry Sad
Sorry, three emoticons in a row there but I wanted to illustrate just how much I Respect these Masters!

I know and Hope Everyone has a Really Great time! I wish All of You the Very Best!

Sincerely!

Sir Robert Burns II

"The Knight of Madness" (Some humor)
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm glad there is so much excitement brewing for WMAW - there are still classes open, and few class changes to be announced this week, stay tuned! I think this will be the best programme of events yet!

Bob Burns wrote:
The "Next" time this is held near the Chicago area I will not miss it, because I am going to budget for it and set the money aside for this specifically! In particular I would have loved to have met and studied under Guy Windsor, Bill Grandy, Paul Wagner and especially "Christian Henry Tobler who is my Idol"!
I do have all the books written by Stephen Hand, Christian Henry Tobler, Guy Windsor, as well as "many" other instructional books. Other than the Spanish Rapier, I think I must have about every instructional book recently published, including both the Spadas.

Bob, this might not work out for you this year, but where in the western burbs are you? We (the Chicago Swordplay Guild) train in the city and out at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn. I myself live in Wheaton, my girlfriend is relocating to Aurora. Between the CSG and Allen's Gallowglass, we usually bring a few WMA instructors out every year for seminars too. So if you're interested in WMA stuff, there's a place to check some of it out! (At least, the Italian arts.)

Greg Mele
WMAW 2007 Programming Chair/Head Instructor Chicago Swordplay Guild
Chris Last

PostPosted: Tue 21 Aug, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Watch out Bob! Working with Greg and his crew can be like crack. The first posta's free and that's how they hook you! Big Grin

Seriously if you have the chance to, go to some of the beginners classes they offer and you'll gain a whole new appreciation for that collection of yours.

Greg - can't wait to be there with all your folks again. You throw a great event and I look forward to being overwhelmed again!

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chris Last wrote:
Watch out Bob! Working with Greg and his crew can be like crack. The first posta's free and that's how they hook you! Big Grin

Seriously if you have the chance to, go to some of the beginners classes they offer and you'll gain a whole new appreciation for that collection of yours.

Greg - can't wait to be there with all your folks again. You throw a great event and I look forward to being overwhelmed again!

Thanks Chris! It should be fun, although with the extra half-day, I'm, sure we'll all be reduced to babbling apes by Monday morning....
Chris Last

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A great weekend! Big thanks to everyone involved in the organization, particularly Greg and Nicole for their outstanding work, but never to forget the rest of the CSG staff and instructors!

Great times, great people and wonderful learning experiences.

Bill Grandy's class was one of the best executed class formats I have attended at an event, and with as many people as were in the class, it was handled exceptionally well.

Greg, the pollaxe class was very informative and wonderful fun to get an even better feel for what those devastating polearms can do. I do have to say though, even in war, there are certain things that are just not ok to do to your opponent with the buttspike of the poleaxe! Happy

Great Job!

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
Ed Toton

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Huzzah! Thanks to everyone involved, indeed!

As it was my first time attending, I didn't fully know what to expect. I must say it was extremely worthwhile, very educational, and a lot of fun. The camaraderie alone was worth it.

I'm just sorry it took me this long to discover it.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Mon 01 Oct, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just got back home, bone weary but with a smile on my face. I particularly like the the workshop at the DeKoven Centre location because of the international cast of instructors and will be going to the next one in '09.

While primarily interested in the Liechtenauer tradition, I did take Pete Kautz' class on throwing the Bowie knife on a lark to fill a void in my schedule. What a blast that was. Pete's clear and concise way of teaching had me hitting the target consistantly in no time flat. Straight ahead, 90 degreees, 180's and the "Deadwood Double Tap". There won't be an empty soda can safe anywhere! All the other instructors were great also and the variety of classes is awesome.

If you haven't been to one of these before, start saving your pennies and plan for '09. There is a phenominal amount of learning to be had at one of these events. I take that back. It's not an event, more like a gathering of the tribes.

Great job to the CSG and anyone else who helped put this on.

Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to repost what I said elsewhere, because I'm already spending too long this morning sending thank you e-mails to all the great people from this event.

Phew. Where to begin.

This was perhaps the best WMA event ever, only having been rivalled by the last time WMAW was hosted by the CSG in Racine. It was an incredible time for all involved. I need to personally thank all of the members of the CSG that helped to organize and put this event on, because you guys are the ones who really made this event so solid. Please know that it was not a thankless job, because everyone was commenting on just how smooth everything was, from registration down to the classes.

As always, I got a chance to renew many old friendships as well as make new ones. I can't possibly name all of the great people I spent time with this past week here, so for brevity, here's a very incomplete thank you list:

Christian, it was a pleasure being whacked on the head by you in the name of Liechtenauer's art. And moreso a pleasure having the late night chats, plus the velociraptor show down. Clever girl.

Poji, you are a masterful Halo player, and a downright awesome guy. And only you could pull off that outfit at the feast.

Hans, it was a pleasure to get to talk with you. I am now allowing my inner monkey to show. You are not only a talented martial artist, but a talented teacher... and there's no one else who can wear lederhosen quite like you!

Jörg, I don't think there is a high enough number invented to count the amount of people you tied up like a pretzel this weekend, including myself on multiple occassions. You are an amazing fighter, and an excellent teacher. And it is quite a learning experience to watch you beat up people.

And there are so many more people who I'd like to also list, but this will go on forever, so for brevity's sake, let me just say that I was very sad to leave WMAW for the real world, but that I cannot wait to renew friendships with all of you.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Tue 02 Oct, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is just a quick thank you to the Chicago Swordplay Guild. It was an absolutely incredible event and I'm still on an emotional high.

More details later...but for now a couple of quick personal highlights...

I finally got to meet my dear friend Aaron Schnatterly and his truly lovely wife Shan-Aan in person.

Craig Johnson's lecture on medieval and renaissance sword manufacture.

Christian Tobler's lecture on Paulus Kal. I can't tell you what a real pleasure it was to spend time after classes with such a knowledgeable and entertaining gentleman.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Western Martial Arts Workshop--Chicago
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: