Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bear claws used/worn by Viking males/Women Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jul, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Bear claws used/worn by Viking males/Women         Reply with quote

I once made a necklace on behalf of a friend for a film (BBC) that he was in, was then asked by a couple of reenactors to make some and once again i've been asked to make a copy. These are bear claws, two max with about 3 glass beads. I traded some for my new tunic and trousers.

However, is there any proof that vikings wore these? The first I made on a fluke, as he didnt like what the props department had given him it was too 'feminine for the character' so I made a new one and they seem to have caught on rather quickly around these parts.

Having noticed a group in Ireland where most of the men and even women sport at least one got me thinking on the evidence. I can't find anything anywhere and now i'm curios dammit! Wink

Thanks! hope you've all had good weekends.

sverð er manni vargr, af bardaga er dýrð, í dauða er dýrð.
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I came across this in a seach:

http://catview.historiska.se/catview/media/lowres/239817

Bear claw with bronze fitting, found on Gotland migration period, so a little earlier than what most people would considered "Viking age".

There are a few finds of bear claws in the Swedish Historical Museum database, all seem to be listed as "Roman Iron Age" or "Vendel period" None except the above listed find have any holes drilled, some are burnt so more likley some sort of cult use.

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Excellent, thank you Happy

You won't believe how many bears i'd be getting through! haha. Reckon this is my last batch, if you want anymore i'll include them Happy wanting to get some big ones this time.

sverð er manni vargr, af bardaga er dýrð, í dauða er dýrð.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In eastern Baltic they seem to be more often during late Iron age, (9-13 centuries AD). In most cases those claws are found as part of necklaces or as amulet added to some other decoration, I can not really recall instances of them appearing as stand-alone claw with hole drilled through it for hanging, if you are interesed, I can look up additional information once I return from Sweden in about a week.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bear claws used/worn by Viking males/Women
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic