What was his response?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Harold R. wrote:
What was his response?

John;

And how long did you wait for a response before making the post ? A day or two ? Two weeks without a reply would be very different.

If e-mail isn't getting a response a telephone call is the next thing to try.

I find that when people send an e-mail and don't get a quick reply they " assume " that they are being ignored: This could be true or someone's' P.C. might be down, they may be out of town or only check their e-mail once every few days etc ...

Now if consistent and repeated attempts don't work: Them there is a problem out of the ordinary.

In balance there is a lot to be said for good customer service and there are some very good vendors out there but a lot of
so-so customer service that is a lot more common ( unfortunately ). Some of it can be given some slack for all the good reasons/excuses already mentioned by others and by yourself. There are also cases of small businesses failing for all sorts of reasons and good artisans who are poor business men ! And there are the, fortunately rare cases, of scammers.
( Money sent/Vendor never heard of again: I have had a couple of cases like this in 30 years of collecting various stuff ).

If there is a problem getting in touch with Angus it's a separate problem from getting him to fix the " sword " problem as he is an honourable man and has a good rep.

Bottom line is that I do sympathize with your problem and your feelings about it and, as others, trying to give you a balanced opinion about it.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Harold R. wrote:
What was his response?

John;

And how long did you wait for a response before making the post ? A day or two ? Two weeks without a reply would be very different.

Time of his PM here on myArmoury, 4:46PM yesterday
Time of his post....................................5:02 yesterday
Time his email is registered on my email: 18:44 yesterday

I responded this morning when I saw it........I haven't responded to others yet, but this one had a problem so I responded immediately...........

swords are fun
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know Angus Trim but I would like to say a few words in his defense. Sometimes s@#% happens. People like Angus Trim make it possible for people like us to own and play with these toys we like so much. It would be one thing if he did not "make it right" but I don't see that he has had a chance to do that. There is an option if you want something done right: Do it yourself. Spend the long hours learning and perfecting the art of making swords and armour and then you never have to wait for a sword to show up on your doorstep or be dissapointed if something turns out different than how you envisioned it. I'm not saying that Mr Trim didn't make a mistake but haven't we all?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
John Wehr

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since we want to tread down this lonely road.

Look, I am/was upset. The biggest issue is that I have to pay to have it shipped back (he'll refund my money) and then I have to wait to get it back after it's redone.

Perhaps I was a little soon taking it here? Maybe. I'll admit that. But it's also cathartic to let it "air" out, so to speak. I don't doubt Gus' ability as a sword maker. I've said many times that the sword is amazing and well built. But to disagree with Nathan's statement.

Sword makers do not "allow" us to enjoy this hobby. There would not be sword makers if there were not a demand for said products. Supply and Demand. It's basic economics. No sword fanatics? No makers. But if there were no sword makers, there would be fanatics that Nathan said "go out and learn how to do it." that's essentially what's happened with Gus, and Albion, etc.

To make my post fairly simple...I do reserve the right as a buyer to be upset when a product that I purchased at great expense is not exactly how I wished it to be. Perhaps this is the norm in the custom/semi-custom orders for swords. If so, I'm sure others would be glad to have heard of my experience and perhaps it would give them some thought on how exactly this can go down.

For me, this has turned me off from purchasing another higher end sword for a long time. Perhaps for good.
John Wehr

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

John;

And to answer your question, Jean. As Gus has helpfully posted, I didn't wait very long to post this. Like I said, I needed to get it "off my chest" as it were.

and I've waited over a month for 2 separate emails on two occasions. He said that he didn't get the emails, so I let those drop.

anyway, I'm tired of discussing if I should of posted this or not.
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Wehr wrote:

For me, this has turned me off from purchasing another higher end sword for a long time. Perhaps for good.

John I hope you feel differently after letting some time pass with this experience. There are a lot of good people in the sword industry and sword community that deserve a chance.

I've purchased many high end swords from a large variety of vendors and craftsmen and I've had the majority of the transactions go smoothly. Some of them have even sent me swords to handle and use simply because I asked them too. They sent the items not because I was buying them or reviewing them but because I had built up a relationship with the individual or vendor. To me it's the building of those relationships that is important when purchasing a high dollar sword.

I hope you stick to it and build some of those relationships within the community and buy more high dollar swords.

So the Gus experience didn't turn out how you wanted. That doesn't mean that your next experience with any of the vendors that are out there will be the same.
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to concur with the others - when you are dealing with the arms and armour world you are dealing with what is essentially a cottage industry. I don't disagree that your request was a fairly simple exchange of furniture, but sometimes, as makers try to catch up with their backlogs, those simple changes cause the problems!

Back when Christian Fletcher was making armour, he built a custom Italo-Norman helmet for me, with some fairly specific specifications. It arrived on-time and beautiful - but without the safety specification I had specifically requested. Was I disappointed? Yes. But I shipped it back to Christian (on his dime) and he returned it to me quickly, with everything fixed perfectly.

I just recently received a new sword from Darkwood. I've known Scott for years and we specifically sat down and designed this sword. It was perfect - except for the part where the blade was two inches too long, because all of his recent orders for that style of blade had been for the 38" option. I called him up and he told me how to cut it down myself, or I could send it back (on his dime) and he'd fix it. I did it myself in five minutes.

Neither of these incidents is typical of these vendors, both of who have *stellar* reputations. But it happens. It even happens with production companies, like CAS Iberia. My own sig other is the owner of Revival Clothing. She is the designer but uses modern manufacturers to produce the clothing. Every now and then a gambeson comes back with a snag in the lining, or a chausse with a wrong-sized foot. She and her assistant do QC and inspect everything that comes through, but sometimes, much like spell check, things slip through the cracks. She does everything she can to fix the complaint immediately, but the problem has occurred.

I don't think anyone disagrees with your being disappointed. But, IMO, the title of this thread goes beyond that, as does your comments here:

Quote:
But it's also cathartic to let it "air" out, so to speak.

Ok, but your catharsis is someone else's professional reputation on the line.

Sword makers do not "allow" us to enjoy this hobby. There would not be sword makers if there were not a demand for said products. Supply and Demand. It's basic economics. No sword fanatics? No makers. But if there were no sword makers, there would be fanatics that Nathan said "go out and learn how to do it." that's essentially what's happened with Gus, and Albion, etc.

Quote:

To make my post fairly simple...I do reserve the right as a buyer to be upset when a product that I purchased at great expense is not exactly how I wished it to be.

Yes, and you can be as upset as you like, and Gus is in the position of having to make it right (at least in this case). But there is a way to do so and be *reasonable* - there is a point where the customer ceases to be right.

Many moons ago, just after I graduated from college, I was the assistant manager at a Barnes & Noble. We had what we labeled as the "I will not be screwed" customer. They were the ones who, if there was a problem with a purchase, or a special order (this was before the days of Amazon), would storm to the desk looking for a manager to demand retribution; all the while projecting the opinion that we had been sloppy in our job for not knowing that *their* copy of the latest Grisham novel had a tear on page 225, or that the obscure, out of print book we had tracked down from them might have a smudge on the inside flap of the dust-jacket. The end result was that we took of them to the *letter* of our policy, but no more. Whereas we might have issued a return without a receipt, they were only offered an in-store credit, etc. In essence, their desire to "not be screwed" just led to their getting less than they could have if they'd been a little more cooperative.

I think we all understand your disappointment. But the problem was a small, easily fixed, error, and the vendor has responded that he'll fix it - in light of that, I think that all we are saying is that your problem is unfortunate, but not worthy of the degree of your response, which reads as a ding on the reputation of a reliable vendor who made an honest mistake.

Best,

Greg Mele

[/quote]

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 05 Oct, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cottage industry or not, the key word is that it's an industry. The minute money is involved, the person's craft has turned into business. It is not out of bounds to expect a business to be professional and act accordingly. If the business does not have the means to meet the expectations that they, themselves, set, it's time to either pack it up or change the way that business sets expectations. Let's face it: nobody is telling these businesses how to set expectations with their customers. They have every ability in the world to set them however they wish. And should they fail to meet them, they had better put a system in place to deal with it.

As with any thing in life, businesses make mistakes. What defines the worth of any business is the manner in which it responds to, and remedies, these mistakes.

In the many years I've been involved with the online communities surrounding arms and armour, there have been two things that have bugged the hell out of me: 1) Customers who go to Web forums and purposely try to use those sites to carry a personal crusade to do such things as bully a vendor, trash a vendor, or irrationally vent with rage and 2) Fans and other customers who come out of the woodwork to circle the wagons in defense of a vendor who has screwed up and end up justifying bad behavior, turning things around on the customer who was originally inconvenienced or messed over, and otherwise make up irrational excuses for that vendor.

Have either of these things happened in this particular topic? Well, maybe a little bit of each has happened. It certainly hasn't gone so far in either direction as to grab my attention and call this whole thing out of bounds. But I will say this, I don't want either of those things happening at all on this site: so knock it off.

Regarding the trashing of one's reputation: this is a good point, but let's all understand that a factual account of what happens in any transaction does not represent a crusade against a business. If a business ends up doing things that, if it were known to the public, would ruin their reputation, the problem is with the business and their own actions, not with the person reporting the problem. Sweeping problems under the rug is just as much a disservice to everyone as would be a smear campaign and raging insults against a business. Reputation needs to be based on actions, both the initial action and any response. I welcome the report of such things on this site in so long as they're done rationally, accurately, and with reason.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ralph Rudolph

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 06 Oct, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: progress pics         Reply with quote

To give a positive example, how the tingling nerves of long-waiting sword collectors can be soothed and mistakes be avoided:

When I got my dagger made by Tod, and my "Ritter" by Christian Fletcher, both sent me a digital picture of the work in progress at half-way point, so I could see what was awaiting me and possibly interfere if it were completely wrong.
I think in the age of digicams and email, this is a quick and simple task, and it has just to be a snapshot, no piece of photographic art. When having a piece made to specifications and not from the shelf, I think it should be reasonable to expect this.

So, why not agree at your next sword order with your manufacturer that you want a picture and at what point in time of the production process you want to see it (a good point would be when the final payment is required, so you pay only after seeing the picture and giving your nod). Professionality is nor only required from the vendor, but also from the customer (I often read here as well of full initial payments and complaints about no delivery - no "professional" purchaser would do that).

Maybe an idea for this forum: why not establish a corner with a checklist for first-time buyers, "how-to" go into the process of ordering a sword and avoiding pitfalls and disappointment? I would volunteer for a start if I get a bit of help from the editors...

Ralph

Waß sich wol zwercht mit springen, dem haupt geferet [Ringeck, 29v]
Norman McCormick

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to invite any and all customers, buyers, makers, suppliers, retailers etc., who have never made a mistake in their lives to come forward and tell us your secret. I suspect you will probably have wings and a halo and even then are you sure you qualify absolutely. Continued and ongoing communication between agrieved parties is a must before you unsheath swords if not, well I'm sure we are all aware of the consequences. Buyers and sellers, both, have a duty and obligation to each other and an adult and mature approach is required by both parties if a positve and satisfactory outcome is to be gained during the course of a dispute regardless of the circumstances of said dispute.
Regards,
Norman.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Back in the days when Gus did more mix and matching on his hilts, I ordered an AT2104 (short leaf) with a different pommel and guard. I also had them plum browned. When the sword showed up it sported the standard guard. I told Gus about the mistake, and within a week, he sent me the guard I had ordered, with the plum brown finish on it. He said I could keep the first guard he had sent me.

I'm sure Gus will set things right for you in short order, and when he does, I hope you will report that to us here.
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a starving student who finally has a tad bit of extra cash socked away, I'm once again thinking of the purchase of a sword. PErhaps that 1506 I've been promising to buy for the last two years or so, and have as yet been unable to.

I have no doubts about ordering from Angus whatsoever. He reputation is fantastic.

BTW, what's the current price on the 1506? Are orders being taken, or is the shakedown of reorganisation preventing that?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
David Martin

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've dealt with a variety of craftspeople over the years. I don't think I've ever recieved better customer service than I did with Gus Trim and Christian Fletcher.

I purchased a Gus Trim sword from a retailer who went defunct. Gus didn't receive any money for this sword (I heard this through an informed third party). Despite this, Gus agreed to make the sword free of charge. The amazing part was that I wasn't the only one in this predicament. Gus was looking at doing several thousand dollars worth of work with no compensation. And he didn't flinch.

Although I very much appreciated the generosity of his offer, I spoke with my credit card company and was able to recover the money, so I paid Gus directly.

When I saw a photo of the completed sword, there was a problem. The pommel wasn't what I expected it to be. I reviewed my e-mails and found that the mistake had been my own. I had told Gus the wrong pommel type. Know what he did? He fixed it free of charge.

I would not hesitate to purchase another sword from Gus Trim. In fact, I'm looking forward to my next purchase, as I'm extremely satisfied with the sword he made for me.

We're all entitled to our opinions as well as how and when we choose to express them. In my opinion, if I were a custom sword maker, or the purveyor of any custom wares for that matter, I would be extremely unlikely to have any business dealings with someone who initiated a forum thread like this. The sword cuts both ways.

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
John Wehr

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Martin wrote:

We're all entitled to our opinions as well as how and when we choose to express them. In my opinion, if I were a custom sword maker, or the purveyor of any custom wares for that matter, I would be extremely unlikely to have any business dealings with someone who initiated a forum thread like this. The sword cuts both ways.

It does cut both ways, Mr. Martin. And in my case it cut me quite close to the bone. As I mentioned earlier in the posting this was not the first issue that I've had with this particular sword. So after all of the previous foibles this perhaps was the
"last straw" that broke the camel's back as it were.

And as I said before. I'm done beating this dead horse. People have their opinions. And perhaps some people think the way that Mr. Martin here does. Thankfully, I guess then, that he is not a sword maker or a manufacturer of goods that I am likely to purchase.

To add, I was not given a picture of the sword even though I requested a status update. So the first time that I saw the sword was when it was delivered to my door step. That would make even the most magnanimous of us a little frustrated.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Guys

John has a right to be upset, I screwed up on his sword..........Lets quit digging at him........

swords are fun
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
As a starving student who finally has a tad bit of extra cash socked away, I'm once again thinking of the purchase of a sword. PErhaps that 1506 I've been promising to buy for the last two years or so, and have as yet been unable to.

I have no doubts about ordering from Angus whatsoever. He reputation is fantastic.

BTW, what's the current price on the 1506? Are orders being taken, or is the shakedown of reorganisation preventing that?

Hi George

Thanks....

However, John does have a right to be angry........ I screwed up on his sword.......Before this, I went all year without a quality problem. Lots of late deliveries and schedule problems, no quality problems. Surprising in a way, since the late winter, early spring disasters, its been a real pressure cooker here at times.......

Fortunately, John's vocal about his problem. Believe it or not, this doesn't happen in one's, when I get so wound up I screw up like this, it usually happens in threes. It did, but the other two were here.........

George, I'm thinkin' seriously of having a "Pay the Damn Machine off Sale", and if I do, the 1506 is liable to be one of the pieces featured. The current retail price is $525, but if and when I do the sale, it'll be discounted..........

Get the machine payed off, then the Navy work won't be necessary, and the schedules and deliveries will get caught up quickly............

swords are fun
George Hill

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:

George, I'm thinkin' seriously of having a "Pay the Damn Machine off Sale", and if I do, the 1506 is liable to be one of the pieces featured. The current retail price is $525, but if and when I do the sale, it'll be discounted..........

Get the machine payed off, then the Navy work won't be necessary, and the schedules and deliveries will get caught up quickly............

I'll wait for the sale. I'm also VERY tempted by the um.... was it the 1215? It was the one the fellow shipped slightly on the glass bottle in a swordforum post.
Also, you might note that on Angus Trim Swords... it's still listed at $460.00. (But I recognise that's out of date.)

By the way, what do you do for the Navy?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Getting mad at an honourable vendor who screwed up " badly " is not necessary since just bringing the problem to an " honourable " vendor will mean that he will bend over backwards to fix what is fixable.

Getting mad at a bad vendor who doesn't really care at all about customer service won't help much as they will forget about it as soon as you have finished talking and left the room! ( Literally or figuratively in an e-mail or phone call ).

By getting mad I mean " HOT SCREAMING ANGER " ! Polite but insistent pressure might work as well a possible legal action when/if applicable if all else fails.

Now if getting mad and venting is giving one some emotional satisfaction ....... It might be worth it in itself but it rarely gets positive results.

Many times I've gotten problems solved when dealing with less than motivated bureaucrats or sales people by being calm, insistent and explaining my problem clearly: For example it took about 6 months and repeated phone calls, e-mails and personal visits to get reimbursed for a Bank money order that was lost and uncashable due to an error. ( Oh, and the vendor I sent the money order to never sent me his copy back as promised ). Now, the Bank employee I was dealing with finally got my refund for me. Wink Big Grin But by being flawlessly polite to him I got him as frustrated with the problem as I was and MOTIVATED to help. Cool If I had gotten mad at him I'm sure I would still be waiting for that refund.

Oh, in another case of true fraud/scamming I never even bothered trying to get my money back as it would have just been wasted effort.

The above is what works for me and not meant to pile on John. Cool ( I hope ) And Angus said John had good reasons to be upset. The whole discussion I find a useful exchange of views on how to deal with customer service problems in general.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="George Hill"]
Angus Trim wrote:

Also, you might note that on Angus Trim Swords... it's still listed at $460.00. (But I recognise that's out of date.)

I was thinkin' about making it a sale worth doing........ make a 1506 $410 for a couple of weeks..........

swords are fun

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Disgustingly Dissapointed.
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: