Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Some spearheadsDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Some spearheads         Reply with quote

Hello

Here are a few spears I'd made during the last years. ( of normal building steal) These are the bigger ones, I sold several small peaces for light throwing spears. I wish I could make them more often, but sadly I don't have enough time and my practical knowlidge is loosing its power:-) in the long breaks.

For a month or so a young lady asked me for a large celtic spear with the tipical high middle rib. I saw some celtic spearheads found in North-Hungary in a museum, some of them were parted in the earht in three parts (upper rib-leafblade-under rib) like a venetian fan. So I tought, I could make one using fire welding. I needed just a flat iron, borax and a long, halved round iron bar.

The first attempt was finished very early (the burned one), but the secod one turned out better. Not the best quality, but I like it.
The flat spearhed beside is a bonus Happy .

In the last pic you can see these two after heat treating with some throwing spearheads and pilums/gaesums I made in last winter.

Thanks for looking

Zoltán

Attachment: 64.62 KB
2006.09.01 012.jpg

Attachment: 93.78 KB
HPIM3317.JPG

Attachment: 108.44 KB
HPIM6196.JPG

Attachment: 122.2 KB
HPIM7611.jpg

Attachment: 110.9 KB
HPIM7614.jpg

Attachment: 128.42 KB
HPIM7615.jpg

Attachment: 121.5 KB
HPIM7610.JPG

Last edited by Henrik Zoltan Toth on Wed 18 May, 2011 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry R

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Some spearheads         Reply with quote

Henrik Zoltan Toth wrote:
Hello

Here in the last pics are a few spears I'd made during the last years. ( of normal building steal)

Did you make these from I beams? What type of building steel exactly? I think you did a fine job! Happy
I wish I had some (any) metal working experience!
Larry
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are very nice, I like the rough look, like something meant to be used and not just a wall hanger.
Looks much better than the one I'm working on, though it's not finished and I might still be able to save it. The mid rib looks great! I might borrow this technique for the spearhead I'm making, as I've been concerened that I made the blade too thin to form a proper midrib and I adore midribs on spears.

Are they tempered? Can you do that with construction steel as it is or does it need carburizing? To what level of hardness approximately? Do you temper the tip more than the body and do you anneal to make it springy?
My dream spearhead would be high tempered at the very tip and edge and then annealed to springy in the body. I've been experimenting with this but haven't come close to perfecting it yet.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Henrik Zoltan Toth

PostPosted: Thu 19 May, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words!
I made those mostly from flat iron. B35 or 45 (the hungarian norm). Not the best for heat treating, but if they bend, just 1-2 hammerstrokes and they look like new. For throwing spears for wooden aims just perfect. They are not hard though they are all quenched in rainwater. This "steel" doesn't even need to be tempered after quenching.

I'll solve this problem (hardness) with fire welded file or spring (not the best for fire welding) steel. Like in this adze, with railroad body and file edge. I just thinking about the spearblade-construction, too.

Zoltán

Attachment: 104.34 KB
HPIM7519.JPG

Attachment: 131.62 KB
HPIM7523.JPG

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Some spearheadsDIY Project
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic