Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early halberd blade questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Early halberd blade questions         Reply with quote

Hi, I have a few simple questions that I hope some of the people here can answer for me.

They are about early halberd blades (13th/14th century). These blades are rather simple affairs, and I have found some pictures of what they look like from the side, but what I would like to know is how thick are they and what kind of profile do they have (wedge, flat &c). I am thinking of perhaps making myself one, and would like to know if cutting one from plate (and then making it look more interesting) will do, or if I should forge it.

Cheers

R

School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Early Halberds         Reply with quote

Hi Reinier ........... I make such things myself, and, like so many medieval items, there is not any one set rule in regard to thicknesses and profiles, etc. Harnesses of Armour were sometimes strictly regulated but things like polearms would have varied, not only over time, but according to what the local practise was. Having said that, there was obvious guidelines according to the use of the weapon. If you were to examine such weapons, you would find that some were on the weighty side and many were suprisingly light.
Many of our fight-club members have handeled these items, indeed even curated them for the museum as well as owning many original items themselves. We mostly make our reproductions from 3 or 4 mm steel and grind them to a wedge profile. Most people then weld the blade to a pre-shaped section of steel pipe of the same steel type as the blade and then do a lot of grinding and finishing before a final polish.

Cheers

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Merv, thanks for the quick reply.

I myself was thinking of heating the finished product in a furnace to get a rough, forgeblackened look. Also, I thought it might be easier to attach the blade with two strips that are one part with the blade and that wrap around the shaft.

One more question, do you grind the blades over the entire width? Or just part of it? Or is this a personal choice thing again?

Cheers

R

School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com

Last edited by Reinier van Noort on Thu 27 Sep, 2007 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Sep, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reinier van Noort wrote:
Hi Merv, thanks for the quick reply.

I myself was thinking of heating the finished product in a furnish to get a rough, forgeblackened look. Also, I thought it might be easier to attach the blade with two strips that are one part with the blade and that wrap around the shaft.

One more question, do you grind the blades over the entire width? Or just part of it? Or is this a personal choice thing again?

Cheers

R

As Merv mentioned, the halberd was the weapon of the infantry and there was ofen no such thing as standardization, although often town armories and such to have halberds that are all the same obviously the work of the same shop. Some of them are quite crude while some are very nicely finished products. I have seen some that were constructed the way you proposed i.e. as a one piece affair with the "eyes" being metal strips that were wrapped around and welded. Another way I've seen it done (perhaps the most common?) is that the halberd started a single large metal piece that was folded in the middle with the "eyes" formed at that time. Early models had the "beak" as a separate piece, later the beak was integrated into the rest of the blade. Leaving one forge finished would be fine as would grinding it down to a better finish.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early halberd blade questions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic