Blade Length: 19 and ½ inches
Point of Balance: approx. 5 inches from guard
Center or Percussion: n/a
Distal Taper
At Crossguard n/a
At COP n/a

Initial Impressions:
Looks fresh from the forge, dangerous, shield-splitter

This is a review of the first custom sword commission I have placed. The smith was Sam Salvati. My original specs to him were vague to let him have control of the process as much as possible. I told him roughly 20 inch blade and 4 inch grip, bolstered grip around the tang. Langseax appearance, modern flair. For the name of this piece, I have chosen Gullinkambi. In Norse mythology, Gullinkambi is the rooster whose crowing woke the warrior’s of Valhalla every morning, additionally his crowing will signal that start of Ragnarok.

Appearance:
It came out perfect, what can I say? The finish has a rough feel to it, straight from the forge. I really like the polished edge and the unfinished spine. The wood Sam used for the grip is beautiful, and the brass tang pins are a good color for the piece. The shape is ferocious. I think I will leave the pics to speak for themselves. The leather sheath is awesome.

Handling:
I won’t begin to guess if this handles like historical pieces. What I can say is that it is handy as a long knife or short sword. It is hefty, but it is not too large, not is it slow. Its certainly a chopping and slashing weapon, a real shield biter. It cuts through light targets like butter for such a small weapon. The 5160 steel should keep a good edge, and I hope to try it on some harder targets in the next few days.

What you should expect:
Working with Sam was a pleasure. We both were flexible as timelines changed to accommodate new ideas. I hope Sam felt the process went well. If Sam gives me the ok, I will mention the final cost, but I feel I got an incredible value, and I truly have a weapon I do not foresee selling. I am completely 100% satisfied with this commission.

Attachment: 85.72 KB
Mike-Gullinkambi.jpg

Attachment: 97.75 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 79.57 KB
[ Download ]
Outstanding! Congrats on your new piece!

Sam ... Great work!
It does look very nice. I am thinking about having something similar made after I do some more research and most importantly, after I can afford it. ;)
Congratulations, this one looks like a very nasty cutter. :D

I like the modern elements incorporated in the piece, they're giving it a very unique look. Can I ask how thick is the back of the blade ? Does it have some kind of distal taper ?

Last edited by Hugo Voisine on Sat 15 Sep, 2007 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brut de forge is pretty much in vogue in Europe too.
Hugo Voisine wrote:
Congratulations, this one looks like a very nasty cutter. :D

I like the modern elements incorporated in the piece, they're giving it a very unique look. Can I ask how thick is the back of the blade ? Does it have some kind of distal taper ?

Hugo,

I will try to get some pics up tomorrow and get the calibers out to get some more precise measurements. I don't know how much of a taper it will have though.
Took some measurements of the spine. It is .65inches at the base, about .6 inches at the midpoint, and a touch under .6 inches near the tip. I will get some pics up later of just the spine with something near it for perspective.
I wanted to add that the more I have handled it, the more pleased I am with it. The orientation of the handle and blade give it a very "kukhri-like" feel when being swung. It really powers through targets. I took it to a pumpkin the other day and was pleased with the ease of the cuts for a relatively short weapon.
Mike,
two questions: is Salvati found anywhere in our links and do you place your thumb in that position (first picture posted) when you are trying out the blade for its' cutting properties ?
Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
Mike,
two questions: is Salvati found anywhere in our links and do you place your thumb in that position (first picture posted) when you are trying out the blade for its' cutting properties ?

In answer to your first question, Sam does not yet have a website that I am aware of. He posts regularly here, swordforum and the donfogg forums.

In answer to your second question, my thumb position in the photo was totally arbitrary. I cut with it using a handshake grip.
here are some cutting photos with it. Enjoy

Attachment: 93.37 KB
Cutting.jpg

Attachment: 82.51 KB
Cutting-tight.jpg

Attachment: 93.77 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 90.2 KB
[ Download ]
Nice pics, what is it the pumpkin said exactly?
Brutally impressive seax: Really nice work. :D
Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
Nice pics, what is it the pumpkin said exactly?

The pumpkin said cut me please, it will be fun.

Jean, that is the most accurate and succinct way of describing it!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: