Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > who to make the blade? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Justin H. Núñez

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: who to make the blade?         Reply with quote

Hello All,

This is my first post. I don't have alot of time so I will save the introductions for later. I am planning to have a custom sword made and was wondering about having Jim Hrisoulas make the blade, provided he will accept. I have done some home work and it seems that he realtively legendary in his skill, especially his pattern welding. I have noticed though that no one here has really mentioned him much. Any opinions?
I have only seen one review on Tritonworks web page about his swords.
I do have almost all my specs for my project, I would like to post them if I may, and get ideas, feedback, etc. from you all.
Thank you very much for all of your passion for the sword.
Justin

"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You did not mention what sort of sword you are intending to have made. Every maker has a distinct skillset that defines their ability to create different types of swords. Some makers are not appropriate for some projects while others might be the perfect fit.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Justin H. Núñez

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You are quite right Nathan, now that I have a minute or two I'll elaborate a little. What I would like to do is a single handed, sword with symmetrical finger-rings on either side the handle and pommel being just long enough to be used with the off-hand ocasionally. It will be for both cut and thrust, and while having no historical counter-part, I would liken it more toward the Spanish swords of the second and third quarter of the XV century. However the I would like to be a pattern welded composite blade. I admit that it will be something of a conglomeration of different aspects of various swords I have loved over the years. It is fantasy, but as it has been said by either the Emperor Maximillian or Henry the VIII, or mabybe even the Famous Duke of Tyrol who said, "You shall make my armour the way that I would like to have it made because I will be the one wearing it and you will not." Here a few measurements:

Overall length: 42 in
Blade Length: 34.5 in
Center of Balance: 2 to 4 in. from guard depending what the maker recomendation is.
Weight: no more than 2.25 lbs.

"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin,
Dr. Jim is well thought-of for tough blades. They probably don't get discussed around here very much because Dr. Jim has a style that is all his own. In my opinion, while there are some historical elements to his blades, they are visually a departure from historical weapons, some moreso than others of course.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Justin-
I think ATAR (Jim) could do quite well to create a blade to those specs.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > who to make the blade?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic