Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > sword of an 18th century english country gentleman Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: sword of an 18th century english country gentleman         Reply with quote

I know that the typical London-dwelling gentleman of the 18th century would be armed with a smallsword. What about an English gentleman living in a more rural setting? Would he even feel the need to carry a sword? If so, what sort?

Thanks for your help,
Dustin
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: English swords         Reply with quote

I own an English hunting sword (or Cuttoe) dated from around 1760, which has a single edged blade with saw-filed back, an antler handle wit brass knuckle-bow and hilt with shell guard. Its overall length is 23" and weighs a little over a pound. It is still pretty sharp, but no scabbard survives. I would assume that since it is a relatively plain (by 18th century standadrds, anyway) sword, it would have been owned by a common man. Can't say if it was a rural piece or not, but it certainly would have been useful whilst out at night or walking about alone. American example of similar style can be found in Neuman's "Swords and blades of the American Revolution". Happy
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher, why would a sword known as a hunting sword with a saw backed blade (useful for cutting through bone when putting some prey into pieces) be useful to a London gentleman walking around town in the evening?
Bon coeur et bon bras
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: English swords         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:
I own an English hunting sword (or Cuttoe) dated from around 1760, which has a single edged blade with saw-filed back, an antler handle wit brass knuckle-bow and hilt with shell guard. Its overall length is 23" and weighs a little over a pound. It is still pretty sharp, but no scabbard survives. I would assume that since it is a relatively plain (by 18th century standadrds, anyway) sword, it would have been owned by a common man. Can't say if it was a rural piece or not, but it certainly would have been useful whilst out at night or walking about alone. American example of similar style can be found in Neuman's "Swords and blades of the American Revolution". Happy

Right up my alley! Do you have any photos?

Happy

Jonathan
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OK, I just read Justin's question over again, he refers to a country gentleman as opposed to a city dweller, but again country genlemen would not need a saw backed instrument for self protection, and their social class would impose upon them the obligation to own the same implements that were in style with their urban counterparts, so I would go with the smallsword even in the setting of the country squire, or simply a good stout walking stick, which seems to have been favored up until quite recently in the squire class in England and Wales. I believe the Irish call them shelailees.
Bon coeur et bon bras
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A hunting sword would be appropriate for a country gentleman or American. Search the Album section here for some very nice hunting swords that any gentleman would be happy to wear at his side.

Jonathan
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle, think of Squire Western in Thomas Fielding's novel, Tom Jones, and you will find an answer to the sort of country gentleman to which Jonathan refers. These men were crazy for hunting and their choice of sidearms would reflect that.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Country sword         Reply with quote

Guys, I wasn't implying that a country gentleman would have to wear a saw-backed sword. I only said that I had one, and it's dated to the era when smallswords were worn daily. A hunting style sword would certainly be a more manageble side arm for a man working around his country estate or farm. I have seen several examples of very fine silver mounted cuttoes that would be a gentleman's item of personal protection. I doubt that an English gentleman would have carried a club! Ok, maybe in the form of a cane, but I bet there'd be a stilleto hidden inside! Wink

Sorry, I don't have a pic of my sword. Perhaps someday I'll have to join the modern world and get a digiatal camera! Worried

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are 2 photos of 18th century cuttoes that were probably worn both in town and in the country

Attachment: 74.74 KB
1736.jpg
Cuttoe, circa 1736

Attachment: 69.23 KB
cuttoe9.jpg
Another Cuttoe

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > sword of an 18th century english country gentleman
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic