Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Initial Impressions: Cold Steel SmallswordProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Initial Impressions: Cold Steel Smallsword         Reply with quote

Stats:

Weight: 1 lbs 5 ounces
Overall Length: 38 inches
Grip: 4 inches
Blade Length: 31 inches from guard
Point of Balance: approx. 3 inches from guard
Center or Percussion: approx. 23 inches from guard
Distal Taper
At Crossguard -1.0 cm
At COP - .5cm

Initial Impressions:
Beautiful scroll work, light as a feather, unusual blade shape.

Appearance:
I have always heard praise for the Cold Steel Small Sword, I have looked forward to seeing this review piece. It is a very different style of sword for me, and even expecting the triangular blade, it was exciting to see how that played out in person. When you see this weapon, you know instantly that it is made to stab. It is also extremely detailed. The clamshell guard is very well cast, see the photos, no description does it justice. The grip is tightly wound with wire, the tang appears to have a threaded cap around it. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has disassembled it. The scabbard matches the blade in decoration. The blade has a good even mirror polish. All around, this is an excellent looking piece that is a real joy to photograph.

Handling:
Light as a feather. Terrific balance and point control, lightning recovery. It is hard to find too much not to like about the handling. You can certainly tell why the smallsword became popular as a noble sidearm, especially when you consider all the ornamentation it provides on top of its deadly thrusting point. I did use this piece against an archery target for thrusting and found the blade flex terrific. I had no trouble holding onto the blade through thrusts, even without gloves. I like this piece.

What you should expect:
This sword costs $260 shipped. I think this is a good value. Even for display. I cannot imagine higher end offerings really providing significantly more value for the money. This is a gentleman’s piece as well as a fun piece to fence with. It will be on my list of pieces to purchase for myself in the future.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a myArmoury.com hands-on review on this sword, too. My own opinion on it echoes the same as review author Bill Grandy: This sword would be much improved were it lighter and sized properly. I also disliked the overly modern appearance it seems to have. The chromed and overly mirror-finished areas kill it for me, personally.

Cold Steel Smallsword

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I forgot that was there. Sorry for the overlap. I think those are all good points. I don't know if anything disagrees other than personal taste. But food for thought.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 17 Aug, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mike Arledge wrote:
I forgot that was there. Sorry for the overlap. I think those are all good points. I don't know if anything disagrees other than personal taste. But food for thought.

Overlap is good! Ideally, I'd like to have 20 impressions of the same sword from 20 people. Happy

That's why I put my own two-cents (if it even totals that much) in there.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Initial Impressions: Cold Steel SmallswordProduct Review
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic