Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sabers, where to buy them? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Francois Smith

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Sabers, where to buy them?         Reply with quote

Well I am currently interested in sabers and I am loking where to buy one that is under $400? I only know of the Cold Steel sabers and I would like some information about them.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An alternative to Cold Steel - http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords.htm
Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Sabers, where to buy them?         Reply with quote

Francois Smith wrote:
Well I am currently interested in sabers and I am loking where to buy one that is under $400? I only know of the Cold Steel sabers and I would like some information about them.

You might want to take a look at "The Discriminating General" site at: www.militaryheritage.com/ .

Their 1796 Light Cavalry goes for $159 US.
Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, that's what I get for dithering about.
Francois Smith

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Discriminating General site is aperantly not working, but thanks for the link. So that place makes better swords than Cold Steel?
R. Laine

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi.

You might be interested in Studio Manufaktura's work: http://www.studiomanufaktura.com/zakupy/eindex.html . I've heard very good things about them.
James Nordstrom

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No the Discriminating General site does not make better sabers than Cold Steel, but then Cold Steel does not make the Pattern 1796 either. Both sites sell the same sword.

Francois Smith wrote:
The Discriminating General site is aperantly not working, but thanks for the link. So that place makes better swords than Cold Steel?
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What's the over-all quality of the swords from Military Heritage? Lurked about the site a few times, but don't know much about 'em. Just curious. Are they just re-enactment India stuff or what?
Eric Bergeron

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Military heritage sells cold steel swords as well the 1796 is cold steels version
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a thread over at SFI that you might find helpful: http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...cold+steel
Eric Paul Ziegler

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought the 1796 light cavalry saber from Discriminating General (aka MilitaryHeritage.com) and I'm happy with it, especially considering its price. It is made by an Indian manufacturer and the quality of the sword is uneven, but it is the same sword that Cold Steel sells and at a fraction of the Cold Steel price. Furthermore, Cold Steel puts an edge on their swords that can only be called a "knife edge" (I'm afraid I don't have the vocabulary to call it by its proper name). I had originally bought Cold Steel's version. It arrived packed in Cosmoline with its axe-like bevel. I returned it immediately. You are better off buying a Discriminating General sword and taking a file, emery cloth, and stone to it if you want to put an edge on it. I did and I'm happy with the results (though I am sure the cognoscenti here will bristle at my methods--feel free to comment!).

As for the overall quality of the piece, as I said, it is uneven. The grip is separated a little from the backstrap (though it is secure). The peen at the pommel came rough, but I cleaned that up. If you look down the length of the blade it is slightly twisted. There is a small crack developing midway down the leading edge of the blade. It is not balanced the way a vintage 1796 saber is; it's slightly tip-heavy. It is several ounces too heavy overall. The chape at the scabbard is not finished to perfection. The entire sword and scabbard had a lustrous polish that reminded me of the chromed gung fu practice weapons; the finest emory cloth brought it back to a natural steel look. But as I said, the price is right and I have treated it accordingly: I've sharpened and re-sharpened it for cutting cardboard and watermelons, I've dulled it again for practice on horseback and unmounted saber drills, and I am completely unconcerned about bringing it into a dusty riding arena or laying it in the back of my stationwagon with my tack. It cleans up nicely and handles everything I ask of it. The extra weight conditions my forearm (again, cringe away, fencers!). The crack has not gotten wider, longer, or deeper. If it falls apart someday, I'll be able to say I had fun with it and then hang it on the wall. By then I'll have moved on to other blades, I suspect. Of course, I never treat a valuable reproduction this way and I never suject a vintage sword to this abuse, but this sword is a cut below, so to speak.

My advice is to start with the 1796 saber (or something else from Discriminating General) and see how you like it. If you don't own a sword yet, you'll have fun and it won't cost you a fortune. After handling it, you'll certainly have a real appreciation for an authentic vintage battle sword when you do get your hands on one.

Eric Paul Ziegler
Double E Farm
Elizabeth CO
classicalequitation@gmail.com

Last edited by Eric Paul Ziegler on Mon 22 Mar, 2004 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I concur, and highly recommend The Discriminating General. My experiences with them have always been positive. Their sabres are the same ones as sold by Cold Steel. They offer a much better value than CS, since the Cold Steel versions are overpriced for the quality.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Scott Bubar

PostPosted: Sat 06 Mar, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"A small crack developing" would concern me some.
Eric Paul Ziegler

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott's right. The crack concerned me, too. But I didn't notice it at first and now it's been about two years since it showed up and has not grown.

As for the quality of the sword as I described it, you should know that Discriminating General has an unconditional guarantee. I was timid when I bought the sword, but I had every right and opportunity to send it back and ask for a less uneven piece. I know they would have been happy to comply. When I buy from them again I won't hesitate.

I'm rather keen on their new 1796 pattern infantry sword, but I'll need to wait a while. More horse stuff to buy first!

Zieg

Elizabeth CO

Eric Paul Ziegler
Double E Farm
Elizabeth CO
classicalequitation@gmail.com

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sabers, where to buy them?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic